DCC#19 The Volcano Caves

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Deogolf
Far-Sighted Wanderer

DCC#19 The Volcano Caves

Post by Deogolf »

Joseph! You've outdone yourself again! Mr. Otus, Mr. Holloway, and now - Mr. Jeff Dee! What can I say?!

I tip my hat! Way to get the old fashion feel! Just too coooool! :D

Keep it comin'!!

John
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

I could use a hint (or three) about tying this one into my campaign. I'm trying to do this:
*the team went into White Plume Mountain (the classic module) and got Darkrazor, but when they went to get Wave they popped the bubble. This flooded the entire dungeon since, for some reason, they broke down all the iron doors.
*an NPC party found and returned Wave when it was expelled by an eruption caused by the water flooding the dungeon for the reward.
*Whelm is still inside.
*A crew of gnomes is excavating the dungeon site to find Whelm. They have hired the PCs for protection (who are also interested in getting Whelm since they 'lost' it in the eruption.
*Now;
-I'm thinking to have Illum, uh ... the Efreet guy, gets his chance to get to the material plane because of the eruption (his dungeon is also in White Plume Mountain). It finished off the wards.
Or, not. And just playing the #19 story as is and saying the eruption actually opened this dungeon up.

How would some of you guys go about it? I'm pretty open at the moment and not commited to either.
Roll for initiative!!!
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

I would have the efreeti publicly escape from White Plume Mountian and fly away. The gnomes could see it and relate it to the PCs. Perhaps the efreeti's escape could cause a rough tremor and a lava discharge. The gnomes would want to stop the recovery efferts until they feel the tunnels are safe again.

This would allow your party a few weeks to hunt down the villian and segue into DCC #19. If the players want to ignore the efreeti and try to keep the gnomes on task, having all the fires begin to point towards the escape path the following night would be a great reason to pursue the efreeti.
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

JediOre wrote:I would have the efreeti publicly escape from White Plume Mountian and fly away. The gnomes could see it and relate it to the PCs. Perhaps the efreeti's escape could cause a rough tremor and a lava discharge. The gnomes would want to stop the recovery efferts until they feel the tunnels are safe again.

This would allow your party a few weeks to hunt down the villian and segue into DCC #19. If the players want to ignore the efreeti and try to keep the gnomes on task, having all the fires begin to point towards the escape path the following night would be a great reason to pursue the efreeti.
Okay.
They don't really have too much flight capability, so even one peak over could take a week or so to get there. If Efreet guy is not in WPM then he doesn't have to go too far to allow for some passage of time.
They are likely to ignore him at first. They were originally after all three weapons in WPM. Whelm was a gift from a dwarf prince to a PCs barbarian tribe.
Maybe if Mr.E(freet) was spotted escaping with Whelm?
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

CharlieRock wrote:Maybe if Mr.E(freet) was spotted escaping with Whelm?
i think that is a GREAT idea. might steal it for my game. :) (gotta a lotta love for white plume mountain. anybody stat out the original dracolich?)
Member of Fathead's Favorite Posters Team
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Warduke wrote:(gotta a lotta love for white plume mountain. anybody stat out the original dracolich?)
That is a good idea, even if I don't know much about #19.

I, too, have warm feelings for WPM. :D

zzz, hunh! wha-! Dracolich?! what? where?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

GnomeBoy wrote:
Warduke wrote:(gotta a lotta love for white plume mountain. anybody stat out the original dracolich?)
That is a good idea, even if I don't know much about #19.

I, too, have warm feelings for WPM. :D

zzz, hunh! wha-! Dracolich?! what? where?
Dragotha?
Not yet. I can try, but it'll take a bit. I'm making a stack of NPCs for the interim between WPM and #19. Then I need to make sure I have enough cardboard monsters (I know I need to make the flamebrother salamanders). Anyone have a clipart of a Klakton? I'll just use these backgammon chips. There's a handout the team can oogle if they need to see a Klakton. :twisted:
None the Wiser
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by None the Wiser »

CharlieRock wrote:Anyone have a clipart of a Klakton? I'll just use these backgammon chips. There's a handout the team can oogle if they need to see a Klakton. :twisted:
Well, I don't have clip art of a Klaklin, but I did modify a Chuul from WotC's Monster Manual to make counters for my game:

It just so happens that I'm gearing up to run Volcano Caves in a couple of weeks so I colored up the player handout pics for my main bad guys:

Ziz Ka-Seer

Immolius

I will be creating a Volcano Caves thread in the Art/Comics section very soon! 8)
"When in doubt, play a Cleric. They decide who lives and who dies." -None the Wiser
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

None the Wiser wrote:
CharlieRock wrote:Anyone have a clipart of a Klakton? I'll just use these backgammon chips. There's a handout the team can oogle if they need to see a Klakton. :twisted:
Well, I don't have clip art of a Klaklin, but I did modify a Chuul from WotC's Monster Manual to make counters for my game:

This is great, and how fortunate the timing that you would be getting ready (and reading the forums) when I am getting ready.
That is too cool. 8)

Thanks a lot.
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

So far the team is doing good. Nobody could figure out the ritual for the alter behind the pyrohydra so I had to 'give' it to them. The Elder fire elemental was a lot tougher for them then Ziz Ka-Seer was. They got some ranged firepower they were able to use in the cleric's rooms that they just couldn't bring to bear in the confines of the corridor where the elemental was.

On a side note: When they saw Mr.E(freet) flying off the top of white plume mountain holding onto Whelm they just looked at each other and went "Aw, sheeyoot!" :wink:
It was a funny moment for me.
None the Wiser
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by None the Wiser »

I discovered a minor map-drawing glitch last weekend:

Area 1-4 – Warm Pool (EL 5):
The pool is 30 feet across and 12 feet deep; the shore drops abruptly.

And while I applaud the clearly indicated scaling information on the overhead maps for this module, the map for Area 1-4 is clearly about HALF THE SIZE of the pool described. The pool doesn't stretch any more that 15' in either direction.

Otherwise this module has been running pretty smoothly. The Klaklin ambush in Area 1-3 succeeded in ramming one of the PC's into the steam vents. Skrrit had plenty of time to drink his elixir of fire breath and got off two good shots. The Lassoo's ridiculous hide checks kept the whole Warm Pool encounter from being a complete cakewalk. The PC's tossed a stone into the water to see how the harpoon urchins would react and the Wizard cast fly on the Scout to help him across the pool where the Lassoos were ready and waiting. :twisted: None of their tounge attacks actually succeeded, but the first one during the suprise round (while the Scout was flatfooted) nearly did!

The Pyrohydra didn't fare well, I'm afraid. There were plenty of warning signs that there was a Hydra nearby, and the PC's had just taken down a Hydra at the end of the previous adventure (Sunken Ziggurat). So they all had readied actions before the Pyrohydra reared its six ugly heads, poor thing was disabled by the time its first turn came arround. :roll:

The highlight of the game so far was when the Scout failed his will save on the Compusion Trap in area 1-11 and took a lava bath! The rest of the party rolled initiative to see if they could attempt to restrain him, but failed! :shock: 8) :lol: He dropped within one HP of certain death - by far the most entertaining moment (for me). :twisted:

We just finished up Level 1 last weekend and will try to tackle Level 2 in a couple of weeks! :wink:
"When in doubt, play a Cleric. They decide who lives and who dies." -None the Wiser
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Is that adventure something you'll be wanting a PDF for? Private Message me if so, I'll contribute to the cost so that you can make more cool maps. ;)

Y'know...our usual arrangement. :)
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

None the Wiser wrote:The highlight of the game so far was when the Scout failed his will save on the Compusion Trap in area 1-11 and took a lava bath! The rest of the party rolled initiative to see if they could attempt to restrain him, but failed! :shock: 8) :lol: He dropped within one HP of certain death - by far the most entertaining moment (for me). :twisted:
That one got my team's Paladin. Luckily for him he had protection from fire and took literally no damage. His pack though ... (and he was the primary mule for the team with 20+ Str) ... :twisted:
It was wonderful!
None the Wiser
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by None the Wiser »

I just had to report on last weekend's session when the Scout failed his Search Check and his Will Save and fell under the Compulsion Trap near Bezentaine's Tomb to KILL ALL LIVING CREATURES neaby! I got to spend the rest of the evening watching the PC's try to subdue the Scout without killing him. The Scout ALMOST killed the Wizard before they took him down. :shock: :twisted: :lol: :wink:

Now the PCs will probably have to go back to Zan Tarkhaal to see if there is a Dwarven Wizard on hand who is a high enough level to cast Break Enchantment (which of course won't happen unless the party makes a SIZEABLE donation to the magic school there). :twisted: I must admit this module has the most fun traps to run (at least from a DM's point of view). But the players had fun too - getting to lay down the smack on each other for a change. :roll:
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

None the Wiser wrote:I just had to report on last weekend's session when the Scout failed his Search Check and his Will Save and fell under the Compulsion Trap near Bezentaine's Tomb to KILL ALL LIVING CREATURES neaby! I got to spend the rest of the evening watching the PC's try to subdue the Scout without killing him. The Scout ALMOST killed the Wizard before they took him down. :shock: :twisted: :lol: :wink:

Now the PCs will probably have to go back to Zan Tarkhaal to see if there is a Dwarven Wizard on hand who is a high enough level to cast Break Enchantment (which of course won't happen unless the party makes a SIZEABLE donation to the magic school there). :twisted: I must admit this module has the most fun traps to run (at least from a DM's point of view). But the players had fun too - getting to lay down the smack on each other for a change. :roll:
I don't recall the trap right offhand (somebody probably just skipped it or made the save). I loved the weapon-chomping floating skulls. The look on the groups face as they watched these things swarming around biting off peoples weapons. It was priceless. 8)

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”