[SPOILERS] Our Result with The Mysterious Tower

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Tropico
Ill-Fated Peasant

[SPOILERS] Our Result with The Mysterious Tower

Post by Tropico »

Sadly, I've quickly realized I just don't have enough time to write up play-by-plays of our sessions like I planned to do :( But this was a particularly notable event in my mind..

We're finishing up The Mysterious Tower; the adventure has been long and hard (3 8-hours sessions over four weeks, the longest we've ever taken to complete a single module), it's 3 in the morning, and we're all anxious to see the end and get on with the next DCC. The adventurers arrive at the top floor, open the door to the vault, and see the genie there, guarding the giant mounds of gold coins and magical treasure. I brace myself for the fight...

(Keep in mind my game group is VERY MUCH part of the video-game generation, raised on Diablo, Baldur's Gate and World of Warcraft. We kill things and take their stuff. It's what we do.)

Djinni: Hold, friends! Please do not come any further, I wouldn't want to hurt you.

Party: :o Who are you?!

Djinni: I am a djinni, I have a contract with the wizard of this tower to guard his treasure with my life. But I assure you, as long as you stay on that side of the door, I mean you no harm.

Party: The wizard of this tower is dead!

Djinni: Well, that is terrible news indeed, but I'm afraid I'm still bound to my contract until it runs out in 300 years. Do not come any closer.

Party: That must be awful for you!

Me: ???

Djinni: Uh, yes it is quite tedious, but it is my responsibility.

Party: Anything we can do for you?

Djinni: ..... Um no, thanks, I'm good, just stay on that side of the door... away from these huge mounds of magical treasure.. belonging to a wizard.. who is dead :?

Party: Ok, well, see ya around then..

Djinni: Right... bye... um good luck and everything..

Party: Thanks, you too man! :)

They then proceeded to take over the tower, and now use the tower for their base, every once in a while going up to the top floor to say what's up to their friend the Djinni :lol: I've never seen anything like that! When I asked they replied, ' oh, we'll find a way to free him from the contract, don't worry' :lol: I find that hilarious.

Anyway, just a note to illustrate the unexpectedness that can happen in some of these modules. Cheers!
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: [SPOILERS] Our Result with The Mysterious Tower

Post by Harley Stroh »

This part just makes me giggle:
Tropico wrote:Djinni: Well, that is terrible news indeed, but I'm afraid I'm still bound to my contract until it runs out in 300 years. Do not come any closer.

Party: That must be awful for you!

Djinni: Uh, yes it is quite tedious, but it is my responsibility.
Brilliant, brilliant stuff. You know this calls for a special quest to free their buddy.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I've seen some crazy, left-field player inspirations in my day (cripes, I sound old...) but this takes the cake.

Doing something to undermine the Djinn, I could forsee. Just saying, "'sup, dude" is just ...out there!

I would say, its just wrong, but the story potential is all there, so I guess its good.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

That's great. It's the last thing I would have expected!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

Actually something very similar for my group occurred.

Then the mage asked: "What happens to the Djinni if we beat him? Does he truly die or just go home?"

I call for a roll to see if they would know such an answer. They make it by several points.

"Yes, they are not killed since this is not his home plane. His body disappears here and he wakes up on his home plane."

"Ok. Good Djinni, we will free you from your bondage. DIE!!!"
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
Cardinal
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Cardinal »

my players also did not fight the djinn - they quickly found out that he couldn't leave the room, then started a discussion about the terms of his "contract". Finally they began provoking him by snatching single coins from the room's threshold - from time to time they could bring him to use his whirlwind ability which resulted in random stuff being flung through the door. I rolled for random stuff, and once something worth their while (the bag of holding) landed outside the room the party was contend. They're still searching for another genie in a bottle to replace the one in the tower...
The Incredible Kid
Far-Sighted Wanderer

My players wanted loot

Post by The Incredible Kid »

I made the genie very persuasive about how he would be forced to kill everyone in the party if they attempted to take the treasure, all in a friendly, jolly way. My players didn't know anything about Djinnis, so they took the threats seriously. However, they were so pissed at having been endessly brutalized by the traps (one six hour session with no combat), there was no way they were leaving without the treasure. They chatted with the genie a bit, closed the door, made their plan to kill him, and then opened the door and took him out in a few rounds. I tried to make them feel like the Djinni was such a nice guy, and they were committing an evil act, but they were committed. Noone knew that they were merely violently returning him to his own Plane.

IK
Losloris8
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Ted's Hobby Shop

Post by Losloris8 »

Like you, IK, I made the Djinni the most welcoming host possible. Come in, he said, and make yourself comfortable. Florian was his name and I use the past tense as he is no more. He treasure was too tempting as a payoff for all of those traps, which were a tonne of fun. Indeed, that adventure, which we call Taam's Tower, is what convinced me to use DCc adventures owing to the balance of traps and puzzles.

If you read my posts it will be obvious that i cut and paste together various modules to achieve an exciting adventure. That noted, DCC is consistantly a solid starting point and this one was very enjoyable.

LG
Losloris8
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Ted's Hobby Shop

Post by Losloris8 »

Like you, IK, I made the Djinni the most welcoming host possible. Come in, he said, and make yourself comfortable. Florian was his name and I use the past tense as he is no more. He treasure was too tempting as a payoff for all of those traps, which were a tonne of fun. Indeed, that adventure, which we call Taam's Tower, is what convinced me to use DCc adventures owing to the balance of traps and puzzles.

If you read my posts it will be obvious that i cut and paste together various modules to achieve an exciting adventure. That noted, DCC is consistantly a solid starting point and this one was very enjoyable.

LG

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”