CC #28, Into the Wilds

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Arrk
Far-Sighted Wanderer

CC #28, Into the Wilds

Post by Arrk »

On page 41, it lists as treasure: Reaver, a Proto-Longsword that does 2d4+1 and is treated as an exotic Weapon. What exactly is a Proto-Longsword (PL) and why is it an exotic weapon? Does a PL do 2d4+1 normally and then you add the +1 for the weapon. Just curious. I love unique magic items, weapons especially. But if you're going to make someone pay a feat to use something, they're should be a pretty good game effect as to why.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I don't have that module, but just based on the name, I'd guess it is an ancient fore-runner of the longsword, perhaps not as well balanced or otherwise unwieldy for those unfamiliar with its use... thus the EWP requirement.

Just my two copper. :mrgreen:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Arrk
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Arrk »

I can understand why its called a Proto-Longsword. But you don't add The Exotic Weapon proficiency feat to something to show that it's unwieldy. It has to have some sort of game effect, that makes it "better" than other weapons of it's type. The the point of the game effect of the requirement. Longswords do 1d8, 2d4 is not enough of a game effect to warrant a person to have to spend a feat to not get a minus to hit to use it. Bastard Sword is exotic and does 1d10 and crits the same as a Longsword.
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

i'm w/ gnomeboy. its exotic because it's not something normally practiced with.

i think the point is that its NOT a good treasure ----- "modern" longswords, etc are much better in the analysis, for all the reasons you pointed out. there's no reason, mechanically, for characters to want to use it.

'course via roleplaying, characters come up with all sorts of crazy shi*t.

:twisted:
Arrk
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Arrk »

Not to disagree with you guys to strongly, but I hesitate to think that a game designer is actually going to intentionally put in a "flawed" weapon, that is not cursed per se. It would not be listed in the "treasure" part of the encounter, but more aptly in the "trap" part. I don't read the item as supposed to be useless. That doesn't make any sense.
Arrk
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Arrk »

Sadly, I can agree with you guy though after rereading the item as written. The phrase "Treat as an Exotic Weapon" does come across as more of a limitation than a Bonus. I read the damage on it being 2d4+1, and then whatever the + of the sword. At least thats how it seems alot of the other unique weapons they use in the Goodman modules seem to work. Although I could be wrong.
Arrk
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Arrk »

Warduke wrote:
'course via roleplaying, characters come up with all sorts of crazy shi*t.

:twisted:
LOL... Agreed! If I found this and was 1st level and playing a Fighter, I would take it. Because I would know that I have pretty much the only sword like this around.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I think the 'Exotic' in EWP, just means unfamiliar... shuriken are Exotic and a dagger is not. For the life of me, I can only imagine that you'd use shuriken for 'flavor' reasons, i.e. they're cool, over taking a dagger. They are half the price of a dagger, but not as versatile (dagger is melee and ranged) and they do half the damage (1d2 vs. the dagger's 1d4).

As for the proto-longsword being worse than the longsword, well, that's assuming you have a longsword. :mrgreen:

When it gets sundered, or you are separated from your usual gear by any number of plot reasons, the proto-longsword starts looking pretty good. Better than bare fists for a fighter....

And not too long ago, I put a +1 siangham in a treasure haul in a scenario where the party and their gear were bi-located. :twisted: It would likely only be useful to monks, and I had no idea if a monk would be in the party.

Turned out there was a monk, but the odds....

One elf's treasure is another elf's re-sale item, but that's another thread.

I love this forum... a thread like this can go on without getting all... erm, flame-like. :)
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

Arrk wrote: The phrase "Treat as an Exotic Weapon" does come across as more of a limitation than a Bonus. I read the damage on it being 2d4+1, and then whatever the + of the sword.
i think arrk is right. :) wonder how this played out in the games. does anyone ever keep the proto-longsword?
Arrk
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Arrk »

FEAR ME!!!!! For I am now a Rat King! ha ha ha ha ha. I love this site.

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”