DCC#17 monster question - spoiler

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

AstroCat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

DCC#17 monster question - spoiler

Post by AstroCat »

Looking at Stygoth,

Stygoth, adult black dragon:
Full Atk +24/+19/+14 melee (-5 secondary) I know Stygoth does not have the typical dragon stats but why only 3 attacks and where does the +14 come from? With out the multi-attack feat wouldn't it be +19, +19 for the 2 secondary attacks, why the extra -5 on the third attack?

Even if you are only giving him 3 attacks instead of the normal 6, because he is sick I presume?

Any help? Thanks.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Astro,

I looks like the *cough* author made some mistakes. I'll try to post a corrected stat block, but it will probably be a couple of days before I can get back to ol' Styogth.

Man I love that encounter. Half my home games start out with "roll for initiative" and Stygoth captures that emotion best.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
AstroCat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by AstroCat »

Hehe... no worries. We played the first encounter tonight and it went very well. Lots of panicking party members with the dragon coming after them through the swamp. The set up of the screams of the orcs being slaughtered in the mist before hand was fun as well. :)
Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Blackdirge »

Harley Stroh wrote:Astro,

I looks like the *cough* author made some mistakes. I'll try to post a corrected stat block, but it will probably be a couple of days before I can get back to ol' Styogth.

//H
No worries, man. I got you covered. :D

Stygoth, diseased adult black dragon: CR 9; Large dragon (water); HD 19d12+76; hp 153; Init +0; Spd 60 ft., fly 150 ft. (poor), swim 60 ft.; AC 20, touch 9, flatfooted 20; Base Atk +19; Grp +29; Atk bite +24 melee (2d6+6); Full Atk bite +24 melee (2d6+6) and 2 claws +22 melee (1d8+3) and 2 wings +22 melee (1d6+3) and tail slap +22 melee (1d8+9); Space/Reach 10 ft./5 ft. (10 ft. with bite); SA Breath weapon (see below), disease, corrupt water, darkness, frightful presence; SQ Blindsense 60 ft., damage reduction 5/magic, darkvision 120 ft., immunity to acid, sleep, and paralysis, low-light vision, spell resistance 18, water breathing; AL CE; SV Fort +15, Ref +11, Will +12; Str 23, Dex 10, Con 19, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 12.

Skills and Feats: Diplomacy +3, Gather Information +3, Intimidate +23, Knowledge (history) +23, Knowledge (local) +23, Listen +25, Search +23, Sense Motive +23, Spot +25, Survival +1 (+3 following tracks); Alertness, Cleave, Flyby Attack, Great Cleave, Multiattack, Power Attack, Snatch.

SA – Breath Weapon (Su): In his current state, Stygoth no longer has a breath weapon attack.

Corrupt Water (Sp): Once per day Stygoth can stagnate 10 cubic feet of water, making it become still, foul, and unable to support animal life. This ability spoils all liquids containing water. Magic items (such as potions) and items in a creature’s possession must succeed on a DC 20 Will save or become fouled. The range of this ability is 180 feet.

Disease (Ex): Any melee attack causing Stygoth 15 or more points of damage splatters the attacker with rotting gore for 1d6 points of damage. Those hit by the acidic bile must make a Fort save (DC 15) or contract the Blight.

Darkness (Sp): 3/day – as darkness, but 50-foot radius. Caster level 5th.

Frightful Presence (Ex): 180-foot radius, HD 19 or less, Will DC 20 negates.

Spells Known (6/6; save DC 11 + spell level, CL 3rd): 0 – detect magic, daze, mage hand, open/close, read magic; 1st – expeditious retreat, mage armor, shield.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Whose house?

Blackdrige's house!

BD is the _man_. Plus he's an editor that could snap my spine with his pinky. The dude is ripped.

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
AstroCat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by AstroCat »

Thanks! :D
Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Blackdirge »

Harley Stroh wrote:Whose house?

Blackdrige's house!

BD is the _man_. Plus he's an editor that could snap my spine with his pinky. The dude is ripped.

//H
Dude, you mispelled my name. I've snapped spines for less. :D

BD
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Blackdirge wrote:

BD
And that's is why you're an editor and I'm a writer.

Hmmm ... techinically, you're a writer, too ...

What the hell do they keep me around for anyway?

Ah! To make "Blackdrige" look good! ;)

//H

Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Blackdirge »

Harley Stroh wrote:
Blackdirge wrote:

BD
And that's is why you're an editor and I'm a writer.
Some editor I am; I misspelled "mispelled." God, I love dumb irony. :D

BD
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

Plus Harley then write a sentence to show why he needs an editor.

"And that's is why you're an editor and I'm a writer."-Harley

For non-English geeks the problem is Harley used "that's is..."

Which is the same as writing "that is is".

:lol:

Besides, its a good idead to make people who can snap your spine with their pinky feel loved, admired, and needed. Helps keep them from hurting you.
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
Napftor
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Napftor »

Treebore wrote: Besides, its a good idead to make people who can snap your spine with their pinky feel loved, admired, and needed. Helps keep them from hurting you.
Uh oh, you're in for it too, Treebore!
Bret Boyd
Freelance Writer
------------------------
Tricky Owlbear Publishing
Freelancer's Rest (my blog)
Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Blackdirge »

Napftor wrote:
Treebore wrote: Besides, its a good idead to make people who can snap your spine with their pinky feel loved, admired, and needed. Helps keep them from hurting you.
Uh oh, you're in for it too, Treebore!
Alright, that's it, spine snapping for everyone! :evil:

I'll be at Winter Fantasy in February; those that need spine snapping, please meet me there. :D

BD
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

Besides, its a good idead to make people who can snap your spine with their pinky feel loved, admired, and needed. Helps keep them from hurting you.
Maybe that should read: I, dead. And it might have been a glimpse of things to come for Treebore if he ever shows up at Winter Fantasy... :lol: :wink:
The lucky guy who gets to translate DCCs into German!
Done so far:
DCC#1, DCC #11, DCC #28, DCC #17, DCC #17.5 :)
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Argamae wrote:
Maybe that should read: I, dead. And it might have been a glimpse of things to come for Treebore if he ever shows up at Winter Fantasy... :lol: :wink:
And here I though it was a new product from Apple. :P
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

I don't write for Goodman Games, or anyone for that matter. So I am not worried about my writing errors, since I don't write professionally.

So only Harley is in trouble. :lol:
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Love ya, Treebore. :)

//H

Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

Harley Stroh wrote:Love ya, Treebore. :)

//H
Just remember that next time you sign stuff for me at GenCon. :wink:

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”