Gen Con Tournament

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

N'Haaz-aua
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Gen Con Tournament

Post by N'Haaz-aua »

If you can leak it, what level is the tournament this year (please say 0 level, please say 0 level)?
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

:shock: :shock: :shock: that'd be so cool!
Member of Fathead's Favorite Posters Team
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Really?! I like the idea of zero level adventures (such as #0 "Legends are made, not born" and #35A "Halls of the Minotaur")...but a tournament? That would pretty much rule out spellcasters (which I consider to be one of the strategic elements of tournaments).

It could certianly be done though, and it would be interesting.

I've always preferred high level tournament adventures. That might be because I've never let my own campaigns advance beyond 10th level. I tend to advance slowly (it generally takes 5 years to get to 10th level). Yeah...I'm stingy... :)
Dark Oracle of Gaming
ynnen
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by ynnen »

I'm eager to see what's been decided behind the scenes. I know there were a lot of great ideas bandied about and discussed since wrapping up Palace in the Wastes last year.

I can't wait to read all about how folks are going to die this year! :)
Crypt of the Devil Lich, Dungeon Interludes, The Mask of Death, Adventure Begins, Vault of the Dragon Kings, the Power Gamers Wizard Strategy Guide, The Adventure Continues, Palace in the Wastes and PhoenixCrawl Open
superfan
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by superfan »

My thoughts about Gencon and DCC tournaments:

I hope that in the future some way can be found to award "roleplaying" in addition to hoarding items, charges, reaching goals, etc.

I REALLY liked the tournaments (heck, I became the superfan after Devil Lich), but found the cut-throat intensity and "points only" mentality so different from my home game that it was a bit of a culture shock. I got so wrapped up in the points mongering last time I played that I acted a bit like a jerk to my DM (Erika) and to my team. Still a bit bummed out about that.

Perhaps I'm just a big wuss, but I'd like to see a team that "played well together" with fun, roleplaying, and other soft factors get a few points thrown their way.

Ben "superfan" Waxman
"They Might Be Dwarves" - World Champions Xcrawl 2007. So BAD...but yet so good.
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

superfan wrote:My thoughts about Gencon and DCC tournaments:

I hope that in the future some way can be found to award "roleplaying" in addition to hoarding items, charges, reaching goals, etc.

I REALLY liked the tournaments (heck, I became the superfan after Devil Lich), but found the cut-throat intensity and "points only" mentality so different from my home game that it was a bit of a culture shock. I got so wrapped up in the points mongering last time I played that I acted a bit like a jerk to my DM (Erika) and to my team. Still a bit bummed out about that.

Perhaps I'm just a big wuss, but I'd like to see a team that "played well together" with fun, roleplaying, and other soft factors get a few points thrown their way.

Ben "superfan" Waxman
Either way, you can't get around the point system. Even tournaments like Nascrag (which is heavy on roleplaying) have a point system. With roleplaying thrown into the mix, it becomes more of an arbitrary point system, as it is left up to the discretion of the GM.

Some tournaments just allow a few points for roleplaying well (that the GM can assign).

I admit...tournaments can be rough. Every year, it takes us awhile to get acclimated to it again (our home group is heavy on the roleplaying), but we always enjoy ourselves.

I've always seen the DCC tournament as the perfect example of how a tournament should be written and run. I have fond memories of playing in the AD&D Open events...but the current D&D Open events pale in comparison to the depth that the DCC tournaments bring - puzzles, riddles, combat, strategy, and the best GMs.

I haven't been disappointed yet, so I'd be willing to try whatever GoodmanGames throws at us.

By the way...Superfan...please say you're doing the tournament maps again! Those were awesome. They truly added depth to those encounters.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
superfan
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by superfan »

Hi Dan!!!

You make excellent comments, to which I heartily agree!

In regard to the mapping, I would be happy to do the maps if asked by Goodman Games. Perhaps Harley had been hinting about asking me a few days back...?? Haven't gotten the email yet.

I'm hopeful, as I had a blast last time with the Palace of the Wastes. Felt weird making maps without knowing the story, but it was great fun. Knowing that my maps added to the fun is the best reward. Plus, it allows the GM to spend less time drawing, and more time gettin' down to hackin'!@!!!

Kick and scream for it, and I'm ready and willing when asked!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D
"They Might Be Dwarves" - World Champions Xcrawl 2007. So BAD...but yet so good.
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

superfan wrote: I'm hopeful, as I had a blast last time with the Palace of the Wastes. Felt weird making maps without knowing the story, but it was great fun. Knowing that my maps added to the fun is the best reward. Plus, it allows the GM to spend less time drawing, and more time gettin' down to hackin'!@!!!

Kick and scream for it, and I'm ready and willing when asked!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D
That maps didn't just save time, they added to the experience (truly!). Navigating down a molten river, avoiding exploding pockets of gas...fighting a creature sitting on a throne of puss in a stomach...we couldn't stop talking about the encounters. Having them mapped out so well just added more impact to it. As soon as one of your maps would come out, everyone would sit up straight and examine the surroundings. Good stuff!

Consider the above my "kicking and screaming" in favor of you mapping again. :)
Dark Oracle of Gaming
kenwig
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by kenwig »

Yeah, the maps were VERY NICE!
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

All praise to Superfan for working on those maps. My buddy who led the Tuscon playtests for Palace got copies of the Superfan maps and now they decorate the walls of his gaming room. They are amazing just on their own, but if you look at them all together like that, well, it blew me away.

The authors deserve a nod there as well. As I've probably said before, the writing team was asked to really reach for some unique encounters, and they delivered. Greg Oppedisano's stomach-room and Justin Sipla's molten river (referenced above by fathead) are just a few examples. Like Devil-Lich, Palace will have an index in the back so you can see who wrote what. A lot of the authors are on this board, so when Palace in the Wastes comes out, be sure to send them some love.

ynnen and N'Haaz-aua: I'll be in contact with you guys - and all past GG tourney judges - fairly soon about this year's tournament. I know you've got another commitment, but we'll compare notes and make something happen.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
superfan
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by superfan »

(bowing)

I exist to serve, my master.

Superfan

(must.....do.....this.....year's....maps!!!!) :shock: :D
N'Haaz-aua
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by N'Haaz-aua »

ynnen and N'Haaz-aua: I'll be in contact with you guys - and all past GG tourney judges - fairly soon about this year's tournament. I know you've got another commitment, but we'll compare notes and make something happen.
I think we may be fully stocked with gms for the "other Goodman commitment", so i'm still leaning towards running Dcc.
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

I think we may be fully stocked with gms for the "other Goodman commitment", so i'm still leaning towards running Dcc.
Sweetness. I'll be sending out some basic info within the week.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
ynnen
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by ynnen »

can't wait to hear more about it... very excited to see what this year's tournament entails.
Crypt of the Devil Lich, Dungeon Interludes, The Mask of Death, Adventure Begins, Vault of the Dragon Kings, the Power Gamers Wizard Strategy Guide, The Adventure Continues, Palace in the Wastes and PhoenixCrawl Open
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Joseph, give us a teaser...let us know the name of the tournament module!

Every other year, it's been foreboding - Crypt of the Devil Lich, Vault of the Dragon Kings, Palace in the Waste...they all have evil and dangerous connotations.

I think it's time for "Comfy Visit to the Halfling Village". ;)
Dark Oracle of Gaming
Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

fathead wrote:I think it's time for "Comfy Visit to the Halfling Village". ;)
Only if the halflings are 13th-level half-fiend anti-paladins. :twisted:
N'Haaz-aua
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by N'Haaz-aua »

Four 0 level halflings locked in a cottage with a rabid house cat, imagine the roleplaying possibilities!

/joking!
//not really :twisted:
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

Four 0 level halflings locked in a cottage with a rabid house cat, imagine the roleplaying possibilities!
Make them unarmed and starving, and I'm in!

Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Starving, unarmed halflings with permanent reduce person spells upon them.
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Wizards of the Coast: The Darkwood Mask
Blindsided Books: Savant
Ashlock.org; NY Speculative Fiction Examiner
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Jeff LaSala wrote:Starving, unarmed halflings with permanent reduce person spells upon them.
This is sounding less and less "comfy"...
Dark Oracle of Gaming
ynnen
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by ynnen »

N'Haaz-aua wrote:Four 0 level halflings locked in a cottage with a rabid house cat, imagine the roleplaying possibilities!

/joking!
//not really :twisted:
Actually, that kinda' sounds like something I ran for you guys once, doesn't it? except it was a zombie puppy, if I recall...
N'Haaz-aua
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by N'Haaz-aua »

Well on the plus side, we aren't suggesting that they begin in the stomach of a purple worm or pre damaged, having fallen a great distance.

/Don't get any ideas Jengenritz, I read that draft of round 3 from last year :roll:
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

/Don't get any ideas Jengenritz, I read that draft of round 3 from last year
:lol:

Heh, yeah, that was not one of my best ideas. Every one who read it was all, "You start round 3 how?"

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”