New to DCC...Thanks Goodman Games!

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Aethelwulf22
Far-Sighted Wanderer

New to DCC...Thanks Goodman Games!

Post by Aethelwulf22 »

Hi. I have only recently discovered DCC modules and I must say I love the retro art/design/feel and the play of the adventures.

I was 13 in 1984 when I was introduced to AD&D through the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh and this amazing new world opened up to me. Then in my 20s real life got in the way but now in my 30s I have happily rediscovered the joys of D&D. Yet I found that despite preferring the 3e rules the adventures had lost the magic of the old TSR modules...that is until I discovered DCC. So thanks Goodman Games for helping the 35 year old me recapture the sense of wonder I had as a 13 year old kid!

On another subject...I am a bit of a collector when it comes to old TSR modules but have also started collecting your adventures too. I notice that some of the adventures have different covers for each printing. Could you let me know which ones (and are there pictures of the different covers?) and do you plan to do this for each reprint or is it only selected adventures?

Cheers... :D
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Welcome aboard.

U1 is a wonderful adventure. It makes since you would start with that module. Too bad more adventures from Britian didn't get published "back in the day."

Glad you found the DCCs. You'll find most of us here are big fans of the series.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Welcome, Aethelwulf!

Sinister Secret was an awesome module. Glad you like the work being done in the DCCs.

Re: collecting and multiple covers.

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=776
http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=894

These threads answer most of the reprint issues. If you have any questions, feel free to post them and someone will pipe up.

This last one is on the Acaeum, where you'll see a lot of the same faces...

http://www.acaeum.com/forum/about2152-0.html

Covers of all the DCCs (though I don't know if it catches all the 1st and second printings) can be found here, at the bottom of the page:

http://goodman-games.com/DCCpreview.php

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Aethelwulf22
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Aethelwulf22 »

Wow. Not only great adventures but also a super fast response from none other than the big cheeses at Goodman Games itself. I'm impressed and I really appreciate all the info re printings. Thanks.

On a related topic...Who owns the copyright to the TSR modules? WOTC? I was just thinking it would be great if someone (and you guys would sure be the best) re-issued an updated 3e version of some of the old classics....I know WOTC are bringing out their Expedition Series but something closer to the original would be great :D
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

but also a super fast response from none other than the big cheeses at Goodman Games itself.
Yes, Harley is definitely some kind of cheese. :wink:
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Wizards of the Coast: The Darkwood Mask
Blindsided Books: Savant
Ashlock.org; NY Speculative Fiction Examiner
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Wizards does indeed own the copyrights to the original D&D modules, and they're not interested in licensing them out. But there were some good updates to some classic modules in Dungeon, and some others released for free on the WotC web site.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Aethelwulf22 wrote:Wow. Not only great adventures but also a super fast response from none other than the big cheeses at Goodman Games itself.D
Jeff LaSala wrote:Yes, Harley is definitely some kind of cheese.
:D I'm a cheese in training. But in all seriousness, Aethelwulf, we are a fairly small group. If you ever make it across the pond to GenCon Indy, you'll see many the same folks that post here on the forums.

====

I know for sure Wizards has a free download of a 3.5 Expedition to Barrier Peaks up on their site.

//H
Last edited by Harley Stroh on Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Hey, Aethelwulf22! Welcome to the Goodman boards!

Being a similar age to yourself and familiar with the "good old days" somewhat the way you describe them, I think you'll like it here--as I quickly did a few months ago! The population is considerably smaller than at, say, EN World (which is an excellent board in its own right) but there is a camaraderie and warmth on these boards that I enjoy. (I end up feeling like one of the "little guys" over at EN World--not so, here.)

Also, Mr. Goodman and Company make guest appearances often--posting direct responses despite their busy schedules--and Harley loves to read the "story hours" of adventures we ran that Goodman's writers so proudly produced. Especially if you ran the adventure somewhere in Greyhawk....

So, greetings, and enjoy, and happy gaming.....and please post how your group played through the DCCs, as we'd love to hear about them!

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”