belly of the great beast

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

slimykuotoan
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

belly of the great beast

Post by slimykuotoan »

Question: What should I used for starting magic items/gold.

The Epic level handbook states a 21st level character has 975,000 gold, and is able to purchase one item up to 25% and no more than 3 items over 10% of that starting gold value.

Does this sound good?
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

I can't envision a 21st level character with out at least two very powerful magical items, five powerful items, and ten minor to moderate items.

Power levels vary from DM to DM so I can't get more detailed than that for you.
Last edited by JediOre on Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Blackdirge »

I did all the monster, NPC, and PreGen stats for this adventure, and I can tell you, it's a bit of a meat grinder, even for epics. I would use the PreGen PCs as a guide for choosing equipment, and not use the item limits stated in the ELH.

BD
JRR
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by JRR »

Start 'em with the clothes on their backs.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

JRR wrote:Start 'em with the clothes on their backs.
Note to self, never accept an invitation to play in a D&D game with JRR as DM....
DJ LaBoss
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DJ LaBoss »

Blackdirge wrote:I did all the monster, NPC, and PreGen stats for this adventure, and I can tell you, it's a bit of a meat grinder, even for epics. I would use the PreGen PCs as a guide for choosing equipment, and not use the item limits stated in the ELH.

BD

:twisted:
slimykuotoan
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by slimykuotoan »

Blackdirge wrote:I did all the monster, NPC, and PreGen stats for this adventure, and I can tell you, it's a bit of a meat grinder, even for epics. I would use the PreGen PCs as a guide for choosing equipment, and not use the item limits stated in the ELH.

BD
Why do you suggest the alteration from the ELH?
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

slimykuotoan wrote:

BD
Like he said, its a very tough mod even for Epic Levels. They will need a lot of depth in magic items, especially healing and buffing.
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Blackdirge »

slimykuotoan wrote:

BD
Primarily because the adventure would be very tough for 21st level PCs. The PreGens are 23rd level, and I think they might even have a tough time of it. I would suggest upping the single item limit to around 350,000 gp for your 21st level PCs. That way they will have access to some epic items, which will greatly increase their chance of survival.

Hope that helps.

BD
slimykuotoan
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

re

Post by slimykuotoan »

Starting very soon; I'll keep you guys 'in the know' regarding the progress, etc.

We're all pretty much old tyme gamers -since the early/mid 80's- and have loads of experience to tap into.

Even now, before the adventure's even begun, rivalries are forming betwix some of the players.

Should be fun.
Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: re

Post by Blackdirge »

slimykuotoan wrote:Starting very soon; I'll keep you guys 'in the know' regarding the progress, etc.

We're all pretty much old tyme gamers -since the early/mid 80's- and have loads of experience to tap into.

Even now, before the adventure's even begun, rivalries are forming betwix some of the players.

Should be fun.
Cool. I'd love to hear how this module plays out, and if my monsters are as nasty as I hope...er...think they are. :twisted:

BD
slimykuotoan
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

re

Post by slimykuotoan »

I'm looking to make the City of Greyhawk the setting for the initial part of the adventure: Grey college, etc.

Then have the 'eggs of ill omen' make their debut.
slimykuotoan
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

re: re

Post by slimykuotoan »

I was also wondering about which books I should allow for use in character creation:

ie. the psionic handbook, incarnum, and etcetera cover abilities not accessible to monsters in the adventure, while some combination of books make for overpowered characters, etc.

I was thinking: players handbook, epic level handbook, dungeon masters guide, monster manual, and any other two WOTC books of the player's choice.

Does this seem alright?
slimykuotoan
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

re:

Post by slimykuotoan »

Dramatis Personae:

Moi: DM

War Troll (MM III) 21

Sorcerer/Arch Mage 21

Druid 21

One undecided player 21

Countdown to game on Wednesday night
slimykuotoan
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

The adventure begins...

Post by slimykuotoan »

The month of Flocktime, day 28, 591 CY:

Hoardes of travellers from all manner of nations and climes, poured in unorganized jumbles into the free city for trade and adventure, during this season in which the roadways remained frozen and large scale travel was possible...

The mighty heroes began the campaign one-half mile outside the Free City of Greyhawk.

...amidst desert camel caravans, horsemen, black skinned elephant riders from Hepmonoland, and the smells of spices, unwashed bodies, exotic perfumes and much dung....

It was actually quite funny to have such high powered characters wait in a huge line up for days to enter the city, quite afraid to break and rest by the side of the roadway for fear of losing their place in line.

And being a good DM, I punctuated their disatisfaction and current predicament with add libbed sounds of sheep flocks baying, eastern-styled singing, and muttered curses from the people pressed in tight circles around them.

(They especially liked it when the elephant in front of them would periodically get confused and frustrated, often blocking the roadway for long periods of time.)

When our heroes finally arrived in the city, most of them managed -through very heavy bribes- to get logging at one Sleeping Dragon Inn...

...while the epic level druid chose to sleep just within the walls of the free city...with the flocks, snake charmers, bickering merchants, sights, sounds and smells...

...all for loyalty to her dire tiger companion, whom she didn't wish to leave behind.

As the week passed then, the sorcerer of the group spent time getting items specially crafted at various locales around the metropolis, the psionist kept darting off to the astral plane to make some sort of sancturay or other, and the fighter enjoyed evenings spent with the academics, student snobs and young elites of Greyhawk at the Broken Staff Tavern -where incidently, the food is good but expensive, illusionists frequently duel for the delight of the crowd, poets poet, musicians wale out new and hip material, and etcetera.

...whilst the druid spent her days petting a dire tiger, and consuming such interesting delights as dried snake and camel milk breakfast from those exotic vendors.

Then one day, just as everyone was getting comfortable with things...

giant blue eggs started falling from the sky, screams were heard in the streets, and black smoke began pouring from the much esteemed Grey College down the street...
Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: re:

Post by Blackdirge »

slimykuotoan wrote:Dramatis Personae:

Moi: DM

War Troll (MM III) 21

Sorcerer/Arch Mage 21

Druid 21

One undecided player 21

Countdown to game on Wednesday night
That's a tough group. They might actually survive. :D

BD
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Save Vs. Death Ray »

Blackdirge wrote:
That's a tough group. They might actually survive. :D

BD
Maybe ... but I wouldn't put money on it. :twisted:
slimykuotoan
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

re:

Post by slimykuotoan »

The abridged version::

The first encounters were ones in which the players breezed through without so much as blinking or breaking a sweat.

So by the time they entered the room with six the sacrificial guardians, the fighter -perhaps feeling drunk on his own invunerability- plunged alone into the fray with his twelve attacks per round...

...and was surprised to find out the guardians drain one intelligence point per hit.

At two intelligence then, the sorcerer teleported the dim-whitted party member back to the Inn of the Sleeping Dragon, while the two remaining members elected to go straight up to the highest level of the library, meeting the fighter/cleric with blue dragon companion.

After getting nearly killed, they retreated back to the Inn for a nap, to be later arrested by Greyhawk's Militia and solely blamed for the attack on Grey College.

More to follow...
DJ LaBoss
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DJ LaBoss »

slimykuotoan wrote:The abridged version::

The first encounters were ones in which the players breezed through without so much as blinking or breaking a sweat.

So by the time they entered the room with six the sacrificial guardians, the fighter -perhaps feeling drunk on his own invunerability- plunged alone into the fray with his twelve attacks per round...

...and was surprised to find out the guardians drain one intelligence point per hit.

At two intelligence then, the sorcerer teleported the dim-whitted party member back to the Inn of the Sleeping Dragon, while the two remaining members elected to go straight up to the highest level of the library, meeting the fighter/cleric with blue dragon companion.

After getting nearly killed, they retreated back to the Inn for a nap, to be later arrested by Greyhawk's Militia and solely blamed for the attack on Grey College.

More to follow...
So what happened? Im dying here.

B

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”