looking for a dragon battle DCC style, help!

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Chuul Killer
Far-Sighted Wanderer

looking for a dragon battle DCC style, help!

Post by Chuul Killer »

Ok, I'm looking for a challenging dragon battle for my players, which DDC's should I look up, or possibly perchase? (preferably a chromatic one) Thanks!
superfan
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by superfan »

I enjoyed very much the mummy dragon in DCC #13, The Crypt of the Devil Lich.

Throw in the fact that there is a BIG battlemap for the room that you can download and it's a no brainer!

Lethal dragon that has a breath weapon of bone shards!!!! YES!!!!
"They Might Be Dwarves" - World Champions Xcrawl 2007. So BAD...but yet so good.
Chuul Killer
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Chuul Killer »

superfan wrote:I enjoyed very much the mummy dragon in DCC #13, The Crypt of the Devil Lich.

Throw in the fact that there is a BIG battlemap for the room that you can download and it's a no brainer!

Lethal dragon that has a breath weapon of bone shards!!!! YES!!!!
Oh no, don't get me wrong it's a very cool adventure, (I have read this one in fact), but I'm looking for something a tad less (MEGA) lethal, also something a little more traditional as well. The Scaly God looks good but are there other options?
ynnen
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by ynnen »

DCC #30 - Vault of the Dragon Kings is based around the history of Dragonkind, and their former masters, the Dragon Kings - tasked by the creator gods to watch over and protect the Dragons as the world developed.

It was the 2005 GenCon Tournament module, and is very, very challenging. While the tournament featured a very high casualty rate for the pre-generated 10th level characters, it contains lots of good information to tone it down to suit your tastes, or you could easily run 11-12th level characters through it for a slightly easier time.

** Possible minor spoiler below **

There are several half-dragon, dragon-themed and reptilian encounters, puzzles, traps and plot running through it, including some climactic and riveting battles among some tough draconic enemies. Have your players ever faced a dragon ettin? Or a dragon possessed by the spirit of another dragon?
Crypt of the Devil Lich, Dungeon Interludes, The Mask of Death, Adventure Begins, Vault of the Dragon Kings, the Power Gamers Wizard Strategy Guide, The Adventure Continues, Palace in the Wastes and PhoenixCrawl Open
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Also check out DCC #6: Temple of the Dragon Cult. This one is out of print right now but will be reprinted in December.

http://www.goodmangames.com/5005preview.php
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Chuul Killer
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Chuul Killer »

ynnen wrote: It was the 2005 GenCon Tournament module, and is very, very challenging. While the tournament featured a very high casualty rate for the pre-generated 10th level characters, it contains lots of good information to tone it down to suit your tastes, or you could easily run 11-12th level characters through it for a slightly easier time.
Like I said earlier, I read the Devil Lich module (also a tournament module) and to me "very, very challenging" + tournament = (what sounds like) meat grinder. In all honesty, I'd like to stay away from the tournament type modules, just because of the ultra nastieness involved. However I did look up what others had to say about temple of the dragon cult, I'll be keeping my eyes pealed for that one come december. In the mean time are there any others to look at potentially?
Rick Maffei
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rick Maffei »

I second the motion on Temple of the Dragon Cult for a dragon face-off, and (ahem) humbly recommend The Scaly God as well! :wink:
Both present classic, challenging battles against our all-time favorite monster. Pyraxus or Rathulagon .. pick your color!
DCC #26 The Scaly God
DCC #60 Thrones of Punjar
Monstercology: Orcs
Age of Cthulhu 2: Madness in London Town
Co-author Age of Cthulhu 5: The Long Reach of Evil
Co-author 2006, 2007, 2008 Tourney DCCs

Visit Rick's RPG Blog Jabberwock's Rest
Chuul Killer
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Chuul Killer »

Rick Maffei wrote:I second the motion on Temple of the Dragon Cult for a dragon face-off, and (ahem) humbly recommend The Scaly God as well! :wink:
Both present classic, challenging battles against our all-time favorite monster. Pyraxus or Rathulagon .. pick your color!
I picked the Scaly God, I dug up a thread awhile back on it, people looked pleased with it, sounds like it has a nice selection of critters running around in it, plus it's a nice thats it's at a lower level module (basically that tells me we can jump into it quicker, no need to spend alot of time building high level PC's). Whats also another big plus, is if this goes well, I can pick up temple of the dragon cult AND then vault of the dragon kings, ooo, make one large dragon slaying adventure with a few small adventures to "glue" these modules together, or not, that is alot of dragon slaying after all, we'll see how it goes. I did read a review on vault of the dragon kings and it got high marks every on everything, the person that reviewed it really, really liked it. That reminds me, the guy that did the review said (SPOILER) that the monsters in that book had an average damage score all rolled out to make things progress faster, frankly thats a really good idea and should not be shyed away from in future books (SPOILER END) Anyways, like mentioned earlier in this thread the book (vault) is set for character level 10, aka grinder level, or for a more normal crawl can be set for 11-13 (I believe he said [the reviewer]), however the reviewer gave his own experience with the book and said his (I'm assuming he) own players at level 15 were having difficulties with the modules various encounters! I knew it, tournament =death!! If only my instincts were that good the first two times I went after Bloody Jack's gold (arrgh [hence the name chuul killer btw.])! Anyways (again) thanks for the help, I'll drop by again after I digest "the scaly god" and will be sure to share my thoughts on it.
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

I'm running my DCC group through The Scaly God now, and one thing I really like about it is you can drop it about anywhere you want because of the set-up. Very cool.

All DCC tournament modules have pregenerated damage; it's both to accelerate tournament play and to reduce the effects of "hot" or "cold" DM dice on the teams...to level the playing field, as it were.

It sounds like you've done a lot of research in prep for your game...that is really cool to hear. I'm sure your players are going appreciate it. If not, maybe a tournament TPK isn't such a bad idea!
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
Chuul Killer
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Chuul Killer »

Jengenritz wrote:I'm running my DCC group through The Scaly God now, and one thing I really like about it is you can drop it about anywhere you want because of the set-up. Very cool.

All DCC tournament modules have pregenerated damage; it's both to accelerate tournament play and to reduce the effects of "hot" or "cold" DM dice on the teams...to level the playing field, as it were.

It sounds like you've done a lot of research in prep for your game...that is really cool to hear. I'm sure your players are going appreciate it. If not, maybe a tournament TPK isn't such a bad idea!
Yeah those dcc modules are great like that and the lack of a back story with the majority of them is no problem, in fact I really think it moves most games along, it allows the sort of "spirit of adventure" to take over and the thrill of exploring the unknown. I review most products before I buy them thats pretty standard business. I think the main reason I did so much looking around is my players have never fought a dragon before, they're all dragon slayer virgins!! I think you guys can understand why I deemed "Vault of the Dragon Kings" alittle over the top (at least for now).
Rick Maffei
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rick Maffei »

Chuul Killer and Adrian: I hope you and your players enjoy the adventure!
Do share any battle tales (not just dragon-related) over at the Scaly God thread; I'd especially love to hear the detailed experiences of a group going through Whitefang and braving their way through the various encounter areas in search of the Scaly God. :)
DCC #26 The Scaly God
DCC #60 Thrones of Punjar
Monstercology: Orcs
Age of Cthulhu 2: Madness in London Town
Co-author Age of Cthulhu 5: The Long Reach of Evil
Co-author 2006, 2007, 2008 Tourney DCCs

Visit Rick's RPG Blog Jabberwock's Rest
waltero
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by waltero »

We are slated to play Temple of the Dragon Cult at our next session. The characters are a little below level, but the provided scaling info should balance it out. It looks like a nice quick module that could be played in a session or two. I'll let you know how it turns out.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

If you are starting out with first or second level characters, don't forget about DCC#11:The Dragonfiend Pact. This would start off a dragon themed campaign with a great start.

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”