DCC World

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

bobrunnicles
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bobrunnicles »

Jeff LaSala wrote:
Basically what's happening is that everyone can make their own game now, so a 3E session often turns into a bunch of individuals running their own agendas instead of a team banding together, etc. etc., but that's just one fellow's opinion.
That's where there needs to be more like tyrannical DMs like me. :twisted:

Well, actually, I think I'm rather lenient. But still, in my opinion, prestige classes are the dominion of the DM. He or she should maintain martial law on things like that. They really ought to suit the campaign, as has been previously agreed upon.
Agreed - in my current campaign, players can take anything from the core PHB/DMG as up for grabs; anything else requires GM approval and a good reason plot/storywise to justify it. Maybe it is tyrannical, but it's about the only way to keep this stuff under control. I'm lucky in that my current group includes a fighter, a rogue, a sorceress and a druid/ranger (as well as an NPC cleric) so they all complement each other well rather than compete with each for who has the most uber attack etc.

So Harley, what's the thing that's coming out in August? You can't taunt us like this!
bighara
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by bighara »

bobrunnicles wrote: So Harley, what's the thing that's coming out in August? You can't taunt us like this!
SERIOUSLY!

:shock: :!: :!:

C'mon! Spill it! :D
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by jason.richardson »

bobrunnicles wrote:
Jeff LaSala wrote:
Basically what's happening is that everyone can make their own game now, so a 3E session often turns into a bunch of individuals running their own agendas instead of a team banding together, etc. etc., but that's just one fellow's opinion.
That's where there needs to be more like tyrannical DMs like me. :twisted:

Well, actually, I think I'm rather lenient. But still, in my opinion, prestige classes are the dominion of the DM. He or she should maintain martial law on things like that. They really ought to suit the campaign, as has been previously agreed upon.
Agreed - in my current campaign, players can take anything from the core PHB/DMG as up for grabs; anything else requires GM approval and a good reason plot/storywise to justify it. Maybe it is tyrannical, but it's about the only way to keep this stuff under control. I'm lucky in that my current group includes a fighter, a rogue, a sorceress and a druid/ranger (as well as an NPC cleric) so they all complement each other well rather than compete with each for who has the most uber attack etc.

So Harley, what's the thing that's coming out in August? You can't taunt us like this!
I also agree. In my campaign I only allow players to use the Player's Handbook (well, I just added the Player's Handbook II to the list of "open" books and I hope I don't regret that). There is plenty of stuff in just the Core to play an entire campaign.

I have to admit though, the demon book Wizard's just released looks sweet.
Animus
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Animus »

bobrunnicles wrote:

I also run a campaign where PHB only is Core, and everything else (even prestige classes) has to go through me. The players don't mind at all. It's not that big of a deal if you're up front about it.
bobrunnicles
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bobrunnicles »

jason.richardson wrote:I also agree. In my campaign I only allow players to use the Player's Handbook (well, I just added the Player's Handbook II to the list of "open" books and I hope I don't regret that). There is plenty of stuff in just the Core to play an entire campaign.

I have to admit though, the demon book Wizard's just released looks sweet.
Hordes Of The Abyss? Yes it does, doesn't it - damn WOTC for making some real nice looking books :) I think the companion volume (Tyrants Of The Nine Hells) is due out in December, that looks pretty sweet too.

I will probably add the PHB II and DMG II to the list of approved books, but we'll see, I need to take a better look first. Until I heard about DCC35 I was going to set my campaign in the Realms (at least one of my group is a huge fan) but with DCC35 coming up I will hold off as long as possible, although sooner or later I'm going to have to make a call (we play weekly and at least for the early levels they are going up every 2-3 sessions)......so better get this out asap guys :)
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

bobrunnicles wrote:So Harley, what's the thing that's coming out in August? You can't taunt us like this!
Not trying to be mean, but the adventure is still in the final production stages. For the hard rollers still playing 1e, the *cough* "conversion" *cough* will be very easy.

Look for it at GenCon, or off the website around September.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
bighara
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by bighara »

Harley Stroh wrote:
bobrunnicles wrote:So Harley, what's the thing that's coming out in August? You can't taunt us like this!
Not trying to be mean, but the adventure is still in the final production stages. For the hard rollers still playing 1e, the *cough* "conversion" *cough* will be very easy.

//H
Total shot in the dark, but do I smell...GIANTS?
bobrunnicles
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bobrunnicles »

bighara wrote:
Harley Stroh wrote:

//H
Total shot in the dark, but do I smell...GIANTS?
Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum, I smell the ink on a Giants adventure.....or do I?

:wink:
tacojohn4547
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

DCC World

Post by tacojohn4547 »

[thread hijack mode disengaged]

Tisk, tisk. This discussion is about the forthcoming DCC Known World. We'll have no more of this talk about:

the smell of...GIANTS

the officially very cool product that is coming out in August

or

Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum, I smell the ink on a Giants adventure

If there's going to be any discussion about *cough* "the officially very cool product that is coming out in August" that will appeal to crusty old school players still playing 1st Edition *cough*, do the honorable thing and start a new thread.

When you and The Man are ready to spill the beans, that is.

heh!

tacojohn4547
bobrunnicles
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: DCC World

Post by bobrunnicles »

tacojohn4547 wrote:[thread hijack mode disengaged]

Tisk, tisk. This discussion is about the forthcoming DCC Known World. We'll have no more of this talk about:

the smell of...GIANTS

the officially very cool product that is coming out in August

or

Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum, I smell the ink on a Giants adventure

If there's going to be any discussion about *cough* "the officially very cool product that is coming out in August" that will appeal to crusty old school players still playing 1st Edition *cough*, do the honorable thing and start a new thread.

When you and The Man are ready to spill the beans, that is.

heh!

tacojohn4547
Er......here's hoping that whatever it is, it is set in DCC World!!

How's that?
bighara
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by bighara »

:D

Seriously though, to get back on topic, can we expect any other tidbits or teasers from the fine folks at GG on this? Or are we going into pre-con "spoiler-free" mode here?
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Well, one start could be to PM Mike Ferguson until he relents and posts something about it.

Harley and I offered up a couple of teasers. You got anything to say?
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Wizards of the Coast: The Darkwood Mask
Blindsided Books: Savant
Ashlock.org; NY Speculative Fiction Examiner
bighara
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by bighara »

Jeff LaSala wrote:Well, one start could be to PM Mike Ferguson until he relents and posts something about it.

Harley and I offered up a couple of teasers. You got anything to say?
(rassle-frassin' restraining orders...)

Something to say?

Yes, yes I do.

MOREMOREMORE! :D
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

You got anything to say?
Something to say?

Yes, yes I do.

MOREMOREMORE!
Sorry, I meant to say that to Mike Ferguson. Mike, where are you??
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

Hello to all of you...

... Greetings from Germany on the other side of the Atlantic! :D

I am also very excited about the new DCC campaign setting since it already reminds me of that "feel" I had when I first bought GREYHAWK or the MYSTARA GAZETTEERS. And I have a question!

Currently, four players are deep into THE LAIR OF TSATHZAR RHO, approaching the final confrontation. I based the adventure in the Lortmil Mountains on Oerth (Greyhawk). I plan to transport the characters to Aereth after the final battle. Problem is: what happens to the cleric and his link to his god (Pelor)? I havn't yet decided how to handle this. Does anybody have some suggestions? Is there an equivalent to Pelor on Aereth?

Thanks!! :)
The lucky guy who gets to translate DCCs into German!
Done so far:
DCC#1, DCC #11, DCC #28, DCC #17, DCC #17.5 :)
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

We don't deal in that aspect of the game in my group.

That said, here's my suggestion. I'd have all links to the clerics deity severed. The first adventure I'd have the PCs attempt in this new world would be one to have the cleric find a new deity. Perhaps the party could find an ancient temple long since forgotten. The cleric could become this neglected god's champion. If you choose to run a module, make sure it is for lower levels than the party is since they will have no cleric to gain cures from until the quest is complete.

That's my two cents worth.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

By the way Argamae,

Welcome to the Goodman Games forums!
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

Thanks!

The thing with severing the tie to Pelor also came to my mind. It would surely be a blow to the player who is into roleplaying his conviction quite emotionally. But then again... an old ruined temple could well be another nice starting adventure in Aereth. I will give it a thought... also I doubt that a cleric would just shrug about the loss and adopt another god so easily...

Any more suggestions?
Done so far:
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

But what if this forgotten temple was in honor to the forgotten god Pelor (perhaps by a different name)?

The Romans and the Greeks often believed other culture's gods were simply their gods with different names....
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Is there an equivalent to Pelor on Aereth?
Argamae,

I think this would be pretty easy. I can't give up too much information right now, but I will tell you that Áereth does have two deities who may work for this transition.

There is a god named Delvyr who is the god of light and knowledge, whose neutral god (like Pelor) and does have the Sun domain. (He is referenced in one of the latter DCCs, though I can't recall which one offhand.)

Another is Ormazd (originally referenced in DCC #32 under the desert-dwelling people's name of Ahura Mazda), a lesser known but more powerful creation god, for whom the sun is quite important. He's lawful good.

But here's the thing. When you transport your PCs to Áereth, I think it would be cooler if when the PC cleric calls upon Pelor, his prayers and spells are still granted. But when he goes into civilization and finds that no one knows who Pelor is, he'll quickly realize that his god is known by a different name on this world. This is a common theme that we even make reference to in the introduction of the deities chapter. Gods have many names, and GMs are encouraged to import their own. Áereth should be about adaptability.

Personally, I think Delvyr would be the ideal fit, given the alignment. Not only that, but the faith of Delvyr, the Revealing Light, is all about finding and preserving knowledge for all to use. If the PC spent enough time on research, I bet he could dig through some of the books in the libraries found within Delvyr's temples and eventually find the word "Pelor" show up in reference to the god. Perhaps it was logged in an ancient tome by another cleric who was once on Oerth? :wink:
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

@JediOre: Well, yes. You are right. One of my musings was that Pelor and other names are ... well, just names. But the concepts, ethoi, domains, for which they stand are universally true throughout the dimensions/worlds.
Which ties in to what

@Jeff LaSala said. That the clerics spells would be granted. But maybe it "feels" a little different. Maybe he is not feeling so much in contact... and maybe another "incarnation" of Pelor - like Delvyr - will make itself known to him in a dream or vision. The cleric was helped already in the adventure by very small hints and pointers (given the threat of destruction that LAIR OF TSATHZAR RHO ultimately poses).

Thanks for your help so far.
Done so far:
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Argamae, for the record: I love your avatar.
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

*grin*

Actually - I wish I was that bear... we do have very high temperatures here in Germany at the moment. Plus: a stifling humidity. Can't stand it... :wink:
Done so far:
bobrunnicles
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bobrunnicles »

I have a question about DCC world that came to me the other day as I was reviewing other campaign worlds - do you guys have any plans to make a 'Player's Guide To Aereth' or similar? Maybe a download (free or otherwise, I would pick it up either way), or a separate print product completely? It would sure make it a lot easier to 'sell' the world to my group (there are similar things out there for Ptolus, the Wilderlands, the Scarred Lands etc - even Greyhawk (but not the Realms, go figure)). Sure makes it easy on the GM to say 'this is your world - go read about it' without giving away any of the juicy stuff.
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

I can only speculate, but I don't think there will be plans for future supplements until it is known how the campaign setting is received. If fans want more..well then, by all means bombard Harley Stroh and Joseph Goodman with demands. :D

Even if there wasn't going to be a such a book, if Joseph makes a pdf available, you could probably just extract choice pages from the Gazetteer of DCC #35 and let your players read that. It pretty much is the player's guide to Áereth. Most GM secrets are in the other book within. The boxed set benefits everyone.
(but not the Realms, go figure)
Actually, there is such a guide for the Realms: http://tinyurl.com/pmaxk :)

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”