For Your Inspriation

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

Oaksoul Elite
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

For Your Inspriation

Post by Oaksoul Elite »

....And mine. I'll have more to post on this a few days' time, but I'm going to be seeing a steampunk version of Othello. Where Othello is one of the few people who is not a steamborg. I'm definitely going to be paying attention to the style and how Othello has changed, to see if I can lift anything for DragonMech. Heck, it sounds like an Irontooth clan that has so embraced steamborg technology that anyone without a built-in steam engine is literally a second-class citizen. At best. Hmm.... maybe this would work better as an orc tribe?
I am Omnirahk, half-Rahkshi ("Omni") of the WotC forums. I consider "Psionics in DragonMech" (see my website) my greatest contribution to anything d20 so far. At least, it's my most successful topic.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: For Your Inspriation

Post by mythfish »

I dunno, but I'd love it if you could get some pictures!
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
Oaksoul Elite
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Oaksoul Elite »

mythfish wrote:I dunno, but I'd love it if you could get some pictures!
I don't know if that'll be possible - there's normally a rule about no photography. At least, no flash photography. Maybe if I figure out how to turn off the auto-flash and black it over just to be extra safe.... Or I could look in the campus newspaper next week. I'm sure there'll be photos and reviews.
I am Omnirahk, half-Rahkshi ("Omni") of the WotC forums. I consider "Psionics in DragonMech" (see my website) my greatest contribution to anything d20 so far. At least, it's my most successful topic.
Oaksoul Elite
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Oaksoul Elite »

And here's some other news everyone here might find interesting: there's going to be a festival this May: The International Steampunk City in Waltham, MA. More info here: http://internationalsteampunkcity.com/ For anyone who loves steampunk (and since we're on the DragonMech forums, that has to be everyone reading this), it seems the perfect the thing to do. As an added bonus, proceeds go to renovations of the Charles River Museum of Industry, which includes the Steampunk: Form and Function Exhibit. Yeah, I'm advertising, but come on! For DragonMech fans, this should be perfect! Who knows? Maybe it's worth putting together a one-shot for....
Oaksoul Elite
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Oaksoul Elite »

Ok, I don't have pictures, but there should be some in the paper within the next week. Actually, the photographer was sitting just a seat or two over from me. It was quite an interesting experience. Basically, this is what it would look like if the Borg went to a Ren fair. The program declared they were aiming for Regency period for the clothing style. One thing that worked really well was scene changed. Rather than the usual blackout, they frontlit the stage with red and orange resembling a giant furnace while playing a soundtrack of industrial sounds - the furnace roaring, a steam whistle bellowing, gears turning, and coal being shoveled. The stage hands were dressed up like Industrial era factory workers. For the costumes, there were a couple things I particularly remembered: a naval officer with an eye patch fitted with a telescoping brass lens and another officer equipped with hot rod style exhaust pipes coming out of her shin-high boots. I could so picture a steamborg with that setup using them for short bursts of flight, flames roaring from her legs. Overall, the aesthetic was closer to Mach II steamborgs than first generation. Desdemona managed to look quite dainty despite the mechanical forearm (yes, the left arm, same one as the wedding band). Brass or iron faceplates were common. Brow, jaw, and (especially for the women) just outside the eyes. Desdemona had butterfly-shaped brass plates there. Even the set seemed to support the mechanized aspect of it. Keeping to simplicity, there were just several platforms used as the stage. But during the scene changes, with the clanking of gears and furnace light, we could see the factory workers unlocking the platforms and moving them into new positions in a very assembly-line fashion.
Oaksoul Elite
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Oaksoul Elite »

And pictures!

mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Not as visually "borg-y" as I'd hoped, but still looks cool. And definitely an interesting interpretation!
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
Oaksoul Elite
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Oaksoul Elite »

mythfish wrote:Not as visually "borg-y" as I'd hoped, but still looks cool. And definitely an interesting interpretation!
True, but they couldn't sink the entire budge into costumes. And keep in mind, Othello isn't a borg, and he's in that picture. I know the review did complain that the essential other-ness of Othello was lost by many steamborgs being asymmetrically designed - hence they looked just like Othello when viewed from one side. Perhaps this is a better example of somebody with a few steam engine feats or just a level or two dip into steamborg as opposed to a full-classed steamborg?
dulsi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by dulsi »

The idea sounded cooler than the images seem to suggest. I don't think the steamborg attachments were pronounced enough. Still kinda wish I had a chance to see it.
Dennis Payne
Identical Games
Oaksoul Elite
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Oaksoul Elite »

dulsi wrote:The idea sounded cooler than the images seem to suggest. I don't think the steamborg attachments were pronounced enough. Still kinda wish I had a chance to see it.
Hmm.... You may be right. But I keep it excusing it because I understand how limited their budget was. It probably would seem a little cooler if you could see the telescoping eyepatch better, and if the thruster/exhaust pipe boots were even featured in the picture. Definitely more subtle than the DragonMech approach.
tadk
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by tadk »

It is just awesome that they did it I think.
Kudos to the cast.
Over 30 years spent gaming, all sorts of systems, feel free to ask me anything, no guarantees I will have an answer.

Return to “DragonMech”