Mech "Unarmed" Strikes

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

Glororhan

Mech "Unarmed" Strikes

Post by Glororhan »

I have a few questions about Mech "Unarmed" Strikes.

Firstly, if a mech has two fists free, does that count as Two Weapons for the purpose of using the Mechidexterous Feat?

Secondly, if someone uses the Mechidexterous Feat, and attacks with two melee weapons, does he do only one half strength damage with the second weapon, like a person does when fighting with two weapons?

I'd be interested in hearing what everyone thinks!
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Mech "Unarmed" Strikes

Post by goodmangames »

Glororhan wrote:Firstly, if a mech has two fists free, does that count as Two Weapons for the purpose of using the Mechidexterous Feat?
That never occured to me before. But yes, I think that would be OK. It fits within the description of the feat, and doesn't seem too unbalancing.
Glororhan wrote:Secondly, if someone uses the Mechidexterous Feat, and attacks with two melee weapons, does he do only one half strength damage with the second weapon, like a person does when fighting with two weapons?
That's a good question. The d20 rule is based on the fact that you do 1.5x Str if you attack with a two-handed weapon, so attacking with two weapons in two hands should provide the same Str bonus. In the DragonMech rules, I don't think I mentioned anywhere that mechs get 1.5x Str bonus if they attack with a two-handed weapon (although you could make a case for it). I assumed that due to their mechanical construction, they get the same Str bonus no matter what limb they attack with. It's not like a mech can be left-handed. I'd be inclined to say that a mech gets its normal Str bonus no matter what melee weapon it attacks with, and no matter order in which it attacks with them. This makes them a little more powerful relative to monsters (which take the 1/2 Str bonus on subsequent attacks) but it's consistent among all mechs, so it doesn't unbalance them relative to each other.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
bravez
Gongfarmer

Post by bravez »

Glororhan wrote:I have a few questions about Mech "Unarmed" Strikes.

Firstly, if a mech has two fists free, does that count as Two Weapons for the purpose of using the Mechidexterous Feat?

Secondly, if someone uses the Mechidexterous Feat, and attacks with two melee weapons, does he do only one half strength damage with the second weapon, like a person does when fighting with two weapons?

I'd be interested in hearing what everyone thinks!
Can we share our favorite melee weapons here?
dulsi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by dulsi »

bravez wrote:Can we share our favorite melee weapons here?
Yes. Assuming you are talking in relation to DragonMech. If you just want to talk about real weapons then no this isn't the place. (I normally wouldn't specify this but your sig and lack of other posts makes me wonder if you are just trying to market that site.)
Dennis Payne
Identical Games

Return to “DragonMech”