DragonMech in the DoD world

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

The_God_Toad
Ill-Fated Peasant

DragonMech in the DoD world

Post by The_God_Toad »

My PC:s are about to end their quest to restore the good guy to the throne in a little country called Faerdanty. Anyway, this good guy, a mighty wizard, has a friend across the seas from whom he hasn't heard from lately.

So he'll ask the PC:s to travel there. It is discovered that the evil supernatural being Vloduvar has possessed the poor friend and that this has divided the continent into two basic camps. The humans who are tired of magic and together with renegade dwarfs and gnomes build mechs. They are lead by Shar Thizdic, who in my world was grievously wounded by Vloduvar.

The other camp is the traditionalist races, the elves and the dwarfs. Their wizards and clerics built magical mechs and some mechanical mechs to defend magic. However, the epedemia of atheism on the continent has made magic (both divine and arcane) weaker (it'll be far more unstable than in the DragonMech version), so it is unsure how they shall do. They can take either the side of Shar Thizdic's humans who think that these magic users are evil and should be eradicated (which will post a problem for the party wizard) or they can join the traditionalist races, which are slowly corrupted by the spirit of Vloduvar.

Can this work?
"The hour is later than you think, Gandalf! It's past bedtime for you!"
- Saruman the Pink
The_God_Toad
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by The_God_Toad »

I'd really like som views on this idea, time is running out and it will need a lot of planning!
- Saruman the Pink
walrusjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by walrusjester »

I'd like to help, but I'm not familiar with the DoD world. Are your questions specific to it, or are you looking more for general advice on DragonMech campaigns?
DragonMech line developer, freelance writer, tall guy named Matt.
The_God_Toad
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by The_God_Toad »

Well, basically, D&D dragons doesn't have a really specific world, so it's more of a question of an acceptable DragonMech campaign. D&D is basically DragonMech without mechs and monsters, all classes and such are from there. I would be moving a bit into the steam punk territory, but I think the players will like that. So my question really should be:

Could this be an acceptable campaign for people who's characters has never seen a mech before?
- Saruman the Pink
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Sounds to me like it would work okay. The DragonMech setting is pretty much just a generic D&D setting with a different history over the last 100 years or so (or at least it was before there were bunches of supplements). Given that, I'd think you could put whatever DragonMech core book elements you wanted into another generic D&D setting and it would work fine.

Return to “DragonMech”