Hydraulic armor & steam powers

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Hydraulic armor & steam powers

Post by Raptor »

Just wondering what steam powers people think would be good combinations with hydraulic (or clockwork) armor. Just to start things off, I'll give you a fairly obvious one: Hydraulic armor + boiler = really strong armor. I count the doubling effect of the boiler as doubling the strength bonus not the base number, but this still increases it to 26 strength (+8 bonus).
Last edited by Raptor on Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

Opps. Sorry, it should be 30 strength (+10 bonus).
Last edited by Raptor on Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

i think that you would need to lower that bonus to a +2 at most; as it is, it's hidiously over-powered for a single use of a steam power

when you consider that a magic item that boosts strength by +2 costs 2000g and a boiler costs 50g, it's seriously unbalancing to allow someone to us a single boiler for a +10 bonus (5x bonus for 1/40th the cost)

imagine attacking the stronghold of an evil coglayer who has put single boilers on 10-20 suits of hydralic armor and equiped his best warriors with it, which would you rather face?
Namfoodle "Sparklediver" Raulnor
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
MagusRogue
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by MagusRogue »

I think Mr Goodman said once that adding a boiler to steam armors increases the Str by +2 and/or doubles the carrying capacity, your choice.
AAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDD this rant's done.
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

boiler info

Post by Raptor »

Where is the posting, please?
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

luckily for you, i ahve nothing better to do at the moment than look up odd tidbits

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... c&start=89
goodmangames wrote:As for stacking a boiler with it, yes, the intent behind the steam power rules is to do cool things like that, so sure! But your DM has the final say, especially when it comes to something that could massively multiply your PC's Strength! I'd say each boiler applied to hydraulic armor would grant an effective +2 to Strength, or something along those lines. Boilers are supposed to be the kind of item that start off weak (because they double things that start at low numbers) but end up strong (because eventually 2 to the Nth power gets pretty big) so a +2 Str bonus would allow the hydraulic armor to slowly get more powerful.
Namfoodle "Sparklediver" Raulnor
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
Alekzandr
Ill-Fated Peasant

Be a Robot!

Post by Alekzandr »

A combination I find interesting is this:

Metal Ear
+
Targeter + Ranger
+
Discriminator
+
Animator
+
(Automator/Noisemaker) Integrated parts
+
MW Hydraulic Armor
+
MW Medium (Cogling) Steam Gun + Boiler +Flywheel

Cast a custom 5th level spell on the Discriminator (Awaken object, Object recieves 3d6 for new Int, Wis, and Cha scores) and you have a playable Robotic character. Needs 5 levels of coglayer though to meet the costs of its own construction and cost to cast the "Awaken" spell, in addition to being able to maintain its own steam powers to move and exist.

Total Cost: 7,415 Gold (of 9,000 = 1,585 pocket change)

Total Space: 122 (used) / 128 (total space in Hydraulic Armor)

Advance as a construct, gaining all the perks and disadvantages of the Rebuild Soul spell (pg. 51 DragonMech), except Darkvision; the Ignoring Fuel for your steam engine bit, gaining the Steam Engine [ex] ability of steamborgs inetead; and new physical ability scores (Strength is 20, Dexterity 10, No Constitution score)
I am just a cog in the great engine.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

That's a cool idea.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com

Return to “DragonMech”