Coglayer's hall of ideas

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Coglayer's hall of ideas

Post by Reese »

just came up with a random idea, i was going to do something creative for the begining of this, but i chickened out... and, yes, i do realize that there are no mechs below large size

Lunar engine
costs 1500gp
weight 500lb
PU: 4

this odd looking engine occupies a 5 foot by 10 foot area and is 10 feet tall, and resembles a paddle wheel from a water mill or river boat half embedded in a 5x5x10 metal block

the lunar engine generates power by means of the pressure generated by the falling lunar rain, it's basic function is to collect the energy from falling lunar rain and store it in springs until it can be transfered to a selected clockwork powered mech

one night of 'painful haze' level lunar rain produces enough power for one medium sized clockwork mech for a day
one night of 'small meteor shower' level lunar rain produces enough power for two medium sized clockwork mechs for a day
one night of 'large meteor shower' produces enough energy to power 4 medium sized clockwork mechs for a day
one night of 'meteor storm' level lunar rain will over-trension the springs within the device, causing them to break and unwind explosively

the lunar engine is subject to any damage an exposed creature might suffer unless properly covered, has hardness 10 and 20HP, if reduced to 0 HP it's springs break loose and unwind explosively and it is destroyed

if the springs break loose and unwind explosively, there is the equivalent of a gear explosion causing 3d6 damage to all within 10 feet of the device (or 1d3 occupants, if it is installed on a mech). it also causes this damage to itself, ignoring it's own hardness, if it exploded due to being reduced to 0 HP, then it takes no further damage, But it can only be salvaged for 1/20 it's value by a coglayer instead fo the normal 1/10. a lunar engine that has exploded cannot explode a second time due to self inflicted damage

a mech uses produced energy twice as fast as the next size catagory smaller, so a medium mech has energy for an 8-hour day, a large mech has energy for 1/2 of an 8 hour day, and so on; thus, the energy to power 8 medium sized mechs could power one gargantuan mech

generally speaking, for a mech to take advantage of one of these, it would have to either be installed in the mech, or the mech must have special external linkages to take advantage of it
Namfoodle "Sparklediver" Raulnor
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Ah, it was only a matter of time before some coglayer figured out how to use the lunar rain to their advantage.

Now that Steam Warriors has been out for a while, I'm curious what nifty devices people have come up with using the new steam powers.

Return to “DragonMech”