Gearghast

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

Oaksoul Elite
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Gearghast

Post by Oaksoul Elite »

I love the smoking dead. I love just about everything about DragonMech that brings together in one thing spell and steam. So of course the meat racks and the like are some of my favorite monsters to use. Here's the first of what hopefully will be many other smoking dead. For reference, I copied the ghast stats and altered them. Hopefully I caught everything that needs changing. I now present the ghoulghast - an improved model of the meat rack that can use corpses to fuel itself. Although it's not actually too picky about the corpse part.

Gearghast
Size/Type: Large Undead (smoking)
Hit Dice: 9d12+3 (61 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 17 (+2 Dex, +6 natural, -1 size), touch 11, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+12
Attack: Bite +5 melee (2d6+7 +1d6 fire)
Full Attack: Bite +5 melee (2d6+7 +1d6 fire) and 2 claws +3 melee (1d6+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Breath weapon, flaming bite, frightful presence, ghoul fever, improved grab, steam engine, stench, swallow whole
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., undead traits, +4 turn resistance
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +8
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 15, Con Ø, Int 13, Wis 14, Cha 16
Skills: Balance +11, Climb +19, Hide +12, Jump +19, Move Silently +12, Spot +14
Feats: Ability Focus (breath weapon), Multiattack, Power Attack, Toughness
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary, gang (2-4), or pack (2-4 plus 2-4 meat racks)
Challenge Rating: 7
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 9-12 HD (Large), 13-24 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: —

Breath Weapon (Ex): The gearghast does not emit all of its fumes like most steam-driven creations. Instead, it bottles up a large portion of the exhaust for a gas attack. This breath weapon is a 30-ft. cone that deals 1d6 Con damage and nauseates for 1 round. A Fortitude save (DC 17, save DC is Charisma-based) halves the Con damage and negates the nausea. Because this weapon is a more concentrated form of its normal stench, creatures who save against its stench ability receive a +2 circumstance bonus to their saves. This ability counts as a poison. Once used, this ability cannot be used for another 1d4 rounds.

Flaming Bite (Su): The gearghast's hellish engine heats its jaws more than it physically should. A gearghast appears to drool fire much as a rapid animal foams. The gearghast's bite attack deals an extra 1d6 points of fire damage.

Frightful Presence (Ex): Frightful Presence (Ex) A gearghast can unsettle foes that witness it refueling. This ability takes effect automatically when the gearghast uses its swallow whole ability. It affects only opponents with fewer Hit Dice or levels than the creature has (typically 9). The affected creature must make a successful Will save (DC 17) or become shaken. Success indicates that the target is immune to that creature’s frightful presence for one day. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Ghoul Fever (Su): Disease—bite, Fortitude DC 15, incubation period 1 day, damage 1d3 Con and 1d3 Dex. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, the gearghast must hit a Medium or smaller opponent with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can try to swallow the foe the following round.

Steam Engine (Ex): Like other smoking dead, a gearghast is dependent on its steam engine for movement. On any critical hit, the gearghast must make a Fortitude save (DC equals the damage dealt after multipliers). If the save is passed, the engine is missed and the hit causes normal noncritical damage. If the save is failed, the gearghast has suffered a hit to its steam engine. It suffers only normal noncritical damage but may no longer move or attack in any way. If the engine is repaired the gearghast will be restored to normal ability. Gearghasts are larger and better constructed than most smoking dead, so this steam engine is both better armored and larger (allowing it to survive more damage intact). The gearghast is considered to have light fortification, meaning there is a 25% chance that it need not make a saving throw. However, creatures swallowed whole are actually inside the engine and are not subject to this fortification effect.

Stench (Ex): The stink of death and burning flesh surrounding these creatures is overwhelming. Living creatures within 10 feet must succeed on a DC 17 Fortitude save or be sickened for 1d6+4 minutes. A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same ghast’s stench for 24 hours. A delay poison or neutralize poison spell removes the effect from a sickened creature. Creatures with immunity to poison are unaffected, and creatures resistant to poison receive their normal bonus on their saving throws. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Swallow Whole (Ex): The gearghast can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of Medium or smaller size by making a successful grapple check. Once inside, the opponent takes 2d6 points of fire damage per round as the gearghast's hellish engine uses the unfortunate victim as living fuel. Additionally, the creature must hold its breath or begin to suffocate. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by dealing 15 points of damage to the gearghast’s internal workings (AC 13). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out. The gearghast’s gullet can hold 1 Medium, 2 Small, or 8 Tiny or smaller creatures.

So there we are. Let me know how it looks, and whether I missed anything. I'm a tad uncertain on the CR. I went with the ghast's CR, added 1.5 for HD (as instructed in the SRD), added 1 for size increase (as instructed in the SRD), and added 0.5 for the new abilities. Also, for a general guideline:

Smoking Dead (creature subtype):
- smoking dead count as 1/2 their HD for creation limits of the animate dead spell and the like (though not for its control limits).
- smoking dead have a steam engine, with all of the traits discussed on p. 201 of DragonMech.
- smoking dead typically have +2 STR and -2 DEX compared to their normal undead counterparts.

And there we are. I'm also going to have to stat up some construct or mech corrupted by having a steam engine stolen from a smoking dead. Plus a mech equivalent to the meat rack.
Last edited by Oaksoul Elite on Sun May 25, 2008 1:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
I am Omnirahk, half-Rahkshi ("Omni") of the WotC forums. I consider "Psionics in DragonMech" (see my website) my greatest contribution to anything d20 so far. At least, it's my most successful topic.
Ken Hart
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Gearghast

Post by Ken Hart »

Sorry I just got around to replying about this now, but this is pretty cool. I had been incorporating undead into my (currently in limbo) home DragonMech campaign, and this would fit perfectly. The DC 22 sounds a little high, though I admit my stat math isn't the best. In any event, nice work!

--Ken
DCC, DragonMech, Etherscope editor
Writer: "Madness at the Mutilated Oak," DCC #48: The Adventure Continues;
DCC #52: Chronicle of the Fiend

"It really is the height of pessimism to have a hat lined with chain mail." --Mrs. Peel
Oaksoul Elite
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Oaksoul Elite »

Ken Hart wrote:Sorry I just got around to replying about this now, but this is pretty cool. I had been incorporating undead into my (currently in limbo) home DragonMech campaign, and this would fit perfectly. The DC 22 sounds a little high, though I admit my stat math isn't the best. In any event, nice work!

--Ken
Oops. I don't know how that 22 got there. I believe it should be 17. 10 + 1/2 HD (9/2 = 4.5, round down to 4) + CHA (+3 for a 16). I think I used DC = 10 + HD (9) + CHA (+3).

Good to know it'll be useful. I plan on running a campaign soon myself that starts off undead-heavy myself. This is really needed. Although it's a 12th level party, so even this guy might not be enough. I'm thinking of statting up an advanced model called the Engine of War. The necromancer will also employ a lot of meat racks advanced as steamborgs. Sure, they technically can't take levels, being mindless, but I'm sure it's easy enough to justify a steam mage being able to upgrade smoking dead. Would you say it counts as an associated class, meaning that every level of steamborg increases the CR by 1?
I am Omnirahk, half-Rahkshi ("Omni") of the WotC forums. I consider "Psionics in DragonMech" (see my website) my greatest contribution to anything d20 so far. At least, it's my most successful topic.
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

Do you have Steam Warriors? The Necroborg Pestige class should be perfect for you. Also you might want to try Vampire steamborgs using blood engines (an alternate power source for steamborgs, listed on the Mk2 Steamborg entry).
Last edited by Raptor on Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oaksoul Elite
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Oaksoul Elite »

Yeah, I have steam warriors. That would be good. A little redundant for advanced meat racks, but perfect for a true apprentice. It might beat out that hellborg I wanted to throw in. Ooh . . . vampire steamborgs. Yeah, I could do that.
Oaksoul Elite
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Oaksoul Elite »

UPDATES: I made a few changes to the original gearghast.
1. I added a picture to represent it. It's the hellfire engine from Fiendish Codex 2. It's a little bigger than a gearghast would be, but it's a pretty good fit.
2. I fixed all of the save DCs. They ought to be 17, not 22. (10 + 1/2 HD + CHA = 10+4+3). I had been using full HD instead. My bad.
3. *New abilities* The gearghast now has a flaming bite and a frightful presence. I've bumped it up to CR 7 in response. I can't believe I didn't think of giving it frightful presence before - part of why I found the gearghast so evocative was how scary it is to see and hear someone getting burned alive, serving as fuel for the monster. I'm debating whether or not you should take a -2 to saves if it swallows a still-conscious intelligent creature as you hear its dying shrieks.
Laughingcarp
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Laughingcarp »

Scary :D

That con breath weapon is downright nasty. 1d6 con damage, plus nausea, every 1d4 rounds? That alone makes me worried about the survival of anyone up against one of these things. Add in the paralysis, frightful presence, and lets not forget swallow whole, you've got yourself a downright nasty monster right there.
Cheers :twisted:

What is the deal with the corpses as fuel bit? Its awesome, and works with swallow whole (Check: I thought I remembered there being a size limitation between swallower and swallow-ee), but is it basically just fluff? Or do you intend to incorporate mechanics fuel/wise at some point or another?

Overall, well done, another success for you Omni-Oak.
The only difference between a mage and a young boy’s pockets is that you’ll find more candy in the child’s
-someone not me
Oaksoul Elite
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Oaksoul Elite »

Yeah, it is. I might remove the paralysis. First, it's really just a holdover from making it a smoking dead equivalent of a ghoul or ghast. Second, as you said, is that it's got enough as is. I don't want to utterly slaughter the players. Although I plan on tomorrow running a quick playtest. We'll see how it goes - I've got a little shortage of players here. And don't worry about Swallow Whole - I looked it up on the SRD and already listed the size limitations for a gearghast.

The corpses as fuel bit? Well, I was re-reading the smoking dead entry and the fact that they require fuel. I got the image of them eating coal to keep going (especially considering the fact that necroborgs eat coal, and the spell Feast of the Machines). I realized a necromancer could design a smoking dead with a gullet to allow it to swallow stuff right into its engine. Thus was born the gearghast. I don't plan on adding rules for fueling. I doubt many DMs or players will ever need to know that, and I trust them to come up with something if need be. We don't know how much flesh and blood ghouls and vampires need (respectively). Besides, I don't see a supernatural reason why gearghasts can't use coal - they've just been designed be less picky about fuel.

Return to “DragonMech”