The Clockwork Borg (CwB)

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

modus666
Wild-Eyed Zealot

The Clockwork Borg (CwB)

Post by modus666 »

here's some preliminary stuff i've come up with for the clockwork borg variant mentioned in another thread

* clockwork engine: requires no fuel or water; does require 1 hr of winding and maintenance each day or borg begins to lose special abilities; does not produce smoke like the regular borgs steam engine, and produces no penalty on hide checks, but constant ticking imposes a -4 penalty on move silently checks

* critical hit vulnerability: (tradeoff for some of the improvements over a regular steamborg); cwbs suffer additional effects from critical hits since their more sophisticated parts are lso more delicate; probable effects determined by 1d8 roll when critical hit suffered: 1-3: borg fatigued, 4-5: borg exhausted, 6-7: borg nauseated, 8: borg stunned; all effects would have a duration of 1 round

* artificial parts: cwbs gain artificial parts at the same as as the more common steamborgs and have the same options available to them in terms of applying them, these parts tend to be more aesthetically pleasing than the regular borgs larger contraptions, however

*steampowers: cwbs gain steampowers at the same as as the more common steamborgs and have the same options available to them in terms of applying them; these steampowers are all clockwork in nature, regardless of their affects, rather than steampowered (this shouldnt affect many of the steampowers much, as lots of them are clockworkish anyway)

* overwind: as a full round action that does not provoke an AoO, the cwb may overwind his springs, resulting in a temporary boost in ability but leaving his parts strained and the borg tired afterwards; cwb gains +4 to str, +4 to dex, and +10 to movement speed; effect last for 3 round plus con modifier; borg is fatigued, as per barbarian rage, after overwind ends (im pretty sure i will use this to replace some of the regular steramborgs other abilities

*lose self: the cwb suffers from personality loss in the same manner as a regular steamborg. many clockwork borgs develop a sense of megalomaniacle perfection, and those with an evil bent may seek to destroy 'lesser' borgs in fits of disgust.

more to come![/u][/b]
modus666
Wild-Eyed Zealot

some information from arek, from another thread

Post by modus666 »

some good ideas and guidelines for the CwB here. i reposted to aid in compiling.
Arek wrote:I'll try to skirt around outright describing the steamborg here, but I think some mirroring might be in order for the Steamborg/clockborg.

The steamborg gains a class feature starting at level 4, and improves on it at 6, 9, 12, 15, and 18.

It also gains abilities at 5, 9, and 17. Level 17's ability is Ageless. I'm sure that one can stay allright.

But assuming at artificial part at every even level, Lose Self at level 3...That means the clockborg would need abilities at 4, 5, 6, 9, 9 (again), 12, 15, and 18.

If this is going to be a seperate, and cool, class, it therefore needs cool options at those levels. The Steamborg's are pretty nice (+2 to Con and what adds up to a further +3 to already awesome Fort saves, anyone?) but I'd like to avoid recycling them. So here's some ideas, for criticism and review.

-Level 4: Overwind: The clockwork harness has integrated into the clockborg's body well enough that he can now control how quickly his main spring unwinds. He may enter a state of rapid unwinding, which grants him +4 to Str and Dex, and a further +2 to Reflex saves, as per Modus's above description. Thank you, modus.
-Level 5 and level 9: It'd be nice to have a couple of ability chain-options here. The Steamborg can get a natural armor bonus at level 5, and massive upgrade in toughness at level 9. So maybe the same sort of bonus for the Clockborg, only relating to Dexterity? (Come to think of it, these may be great additions to the regular options of a steamborg).
Arek
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Arek »

Seeing as how the inspiration for this is Kroenen (as depicted in the Hellboy movie), I did some research (read: I hit up Wikipedia and checked the features on the bonus disc).

An odd mention is someone found Kroenen's notes of his experiments on bonding steel to bone.

Sounds pretty familiar, right?

So I guess it's appropriate for the Clockborg to have Steel Skeleton as a level 9 ability.

Still need something for level 5, though.
modus666
Wild-Eyed Zealot

some more ideas for CwB

Post by modus666 »

Armor Proficiencies: Light, bucklers, small shields
[clockwork borgs are designed to be more fast and sleek than their steampowered counterparts, and thus tend to favor lighter armors]

Weapon Proficiencies: rapier, shortsword, kukri, simple weapons
[clockwork borgs are trained in basic weapons, and in the use of lighter bladed weapons which fit into their wuick-paced fighting styles]

Core Abilities: BAB - 3/2 (as cleric) ; Good Saves: Fort Ref ; Hd 1d8

Class Skills: Disable device; jump; climb; balance; tumble; open lock; craft (any); heal; escape artist; knowledge (clockworks); use rope
[still considering other suggestions, possibly stealth? not sure how many points per level to give]

SPECIAL ABILITIES (levels to be determined)

Double Jointed: clockwork enhancement allow joints to work at odd angles; gain +4 competence bonus to escape artist; Cwb can no longer be flanked

Precision Timepiece: CwB has a precise sense of time; always aware of passage of time despite sleep or unconsciousness; only death and resurrection can rob a CwB of his sense of time temporarily; can set mental alarms as reminders or to wake up at specific times

Metal Shell:: while not as tough as a regular borg, gains benefit of increasing amounts of metal implanted in his body; gain +2 natural ac or existing natural ac increase by +2

Unpredictable Movements: the CwB's quick motions and unnatural flexibility make their movements hard to anticipate; gains +4 dodge bonus to ac vs any attack of opportunity

Tightly Wound: CwB's body has been significatnly altered by this point, so much so that their reflexes function on an instinctive mechanical level; gain +2 insight bonus to initiative and reflex saves

Hair Trigger Reflexes: by this point the CwB's body is nothing less than a finely tuned combination of man and machine, fast and sleek. Initiave bonus from tightly wound increases to +4; gains benefit of evasion special ability.

Thoughts?
Arek
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Arek »

Double Jointed: clockwork enhancement allow joints to work at odd angles; gain +4 competence bonus to escape artist; Cwb can no longer be flanked
Interesting.
Precision Timepiece: CwB has a precise sense of time; always aware of passage of time despite sleep or unconsciousness; only death and resurrection can rob a CwB of his sense of time temporarily; can set mental alarms as reminders or to wake up at specific times
That's actually pretty good utility piece, but does it gain any benefits? Maybe they get a benefit for moving through a moving series of obstacles (read: Gear Forest) mech piloting, because they're able to note the frequency of each action
Unpredictable Movements: the CwB's quick motions and unnatural flexibility make their movements hard to anticipate; gains +4 dodge bonus to ac vs any attack of opportunity
OR it could reduce the iterative penalties on multiple attacks. Like instead of them going down by 5 with each hit, they're reduced by 3. Or 2, or something.
Tightly Wound: CwB's body has been significatnly altered by this point, so much so that their reflexes function on an instinctive mechanical level; gain +2 insight bonus to initiative and reflex saves
As long as the bonus to initiative stacks with Improved Initiative, I'm cool with this.
Hair Trigger Reflexes: by this point the CwB's body is nothing less than a finely tuned combination of man and machine, fast and sleek. Initiave bonus from tightly wound increases to +4; gains benefit of evasion special ability.
Evasion is a nice touch.

Here, I'll join in the fun.

Improved Muscle Control: The Clockborg's body becomes more and under direct control of his increasingly mathematical mind. He gains his Artificial Parts bonus as a bonus to all Dex-related skills.

Supreme Muscle Control: The Clockborg's movements are swift and sure, and he need not sacrifice finesse for power. Half of the Clockborg's Dex modifier is added to his attack roll, in addition to Str. Alternatively, if using Weapon Finesse and an appropriate weapon, gain half of the Strength modifier.

I'd also give them some of the steam weapons as proficiencies (certainly the Steamguns).

Maybe some Clockborg feats that let them maximize their ability to make controlled movements...
modus666
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by modus666 »

Quote:

That's actually pretty good utility piece, but does it gain any benefits? Maybe they get a benefit for moving through a moving series of obstacles (read: Gear Forest) mech piloting, because they're able to note the frequency of each action
I was going to have that tack on to the first level of the character, since steamborgs dont usually get anything really special from having their engine impanted, i thought this would be a nice 'perk' at first level, though i wasnt going to give it any hard-coded numbers benefit. i think it would be circumstantial bonuses if discernable patterns were involved, maybe a +2 if the situation warranted it.

Quote:

OR it could reduce the iterative penalties on multiple attacks. Like instead of them going down by 5 with each hit, they're reduced by 3. Or 2, or something.
well... i wasnt going for anything that would make the cwb that much more of a combat beast. the overwind ability already allows for some significant bonuses over the norm so i figured i'd be focusing on the defensive 'quick and agile' aspects with most of the CwB's abilities
Quote:

As long as the bonus to initiative stacks with Improved Initiative, I'm cool with this.
oh yeah, of course. improved initiative is an unamed bonus i believe, with would naturally stack with an insight bonus.
Improved Muscle Control: The Clockborg's body becomes more and under direct control of his increasingly mathematical mind. He gains his Artificial Parts bonus as a bonus to all Dex-related skills.
that's not a bad idea, doesnt the regular borg gain some kind of similar ability with regards to crafting and such? this would be a good replacement for that ability and could allow the CwB to overcome their natural, un-stealthiness.
Supreme Muscle Control: The Clockborg's movements are swift and sure, and he need not sacrifice finesse for power. Half of the Clockborg's Dex modifier is added to his attack roll, in addition to Str. Alternatively, if using Weapon Finesse and an appropriate weapon, gain half of the Strength modifier.
not sure how i feel about that ability.... hafta think about it.
I'd also give them some of the steam weapons as proficiencies (certainly the Steamguns).
steamgun definitely apropriate, but most of the other steam weapons are large and clunky, didnt steam warriors have some smaller, more finesse-orented steapowered weapons?
modus666
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: The Clockwork Borg (CwB)

Post by modus666 »

just a bit of a bump. i've been busy with some other games but hope to get my dragonmech e6 game back up soon. wanted to try and renew the discussion on this alrternate steamborg class.

Return to “DragonMech”