Campaign Idea, help me flesh it out

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

punkorange
Gongfarmer

Campaign Idea, help me flesh it out

Post by punkorange »

I am going to start a dragonmech campaign tomorrow morning, and I am looking for some help fleshing out my game with hooks, any info I can find, etc.

The players will all be young elves and the campaign will start before the lunar rain began. They will be able to see pre-catastraphe highpoint. Being elves they will also live through the lunar rain (assuming they survive the campaign). I think this will be a great way to introduce them to the world of high point and what's going on, but I need more info on highpoint before the rain. Possibly some adventure ideas, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Get paid up to $400 daily to view 40 websites. http://my4daily.iscool.net
Orin
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Orin »

One thing that wouldn't have changed would be the extreme sea level variation. You could do something about your PCs travelling to a city of Slathem. Other than that IIRC, Highpoint pre-rain is supposed to be a normal fantasy world. Of course you don't have to *show* them pre-rain Highpoint. They could simply encounter an older Elf that lived there who tells them stories - perhaps of a city he once visited close by that was obliterated by a large impact.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

That's a cool idea to start a campaign with a long-lived race and then have them live through the lunar rain. One fun hook to introduce early on could be rumors of what's going in Duerok as the first mechs are built under the instruction of Parilus. In the early days, the existence of mechs was just rumors and hearsay; nobody except the dwarves believed such things were possible... until Durgan-lok first broke stride on the surface. Your elven characters could keep getting rumors that are more and more reliable until they realize something dramatic is happening. Then perhaps they could get swept up in the elves' own attempts to build mechs, becoming involved in Tannanliel -- maybe Tannan himself sends them to find rare components he needs for his research or subsequent construction. All the while, they continue to hear disturbing rumors from the south about a silver-tongued shepherd spreading lies against the elves (this would be Shar Thizdic)... there's probably a lot of material in the game history that could become living, breathing campaign atmosphere if you set the campaign in that period. Check out 2nd Age of Walkers for detail on a lot of the history, or just use what's in the core book and build on it yourself.

Hope that helps.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
punkorange
Gongfarmer

the campaign has started

Post by punkorange »

So far the group consists of a dwarf and a halfling who met in edge to trade with the endless traders. They looked into reports of a missing trader down the river, and tracking some humanoids they come upon some bandits who had been hired to kidnap a trader and get the secret location of an ancient lunar temple from him. Once they recovered and returned the trader they started to make their way back to Durogaun, the dwarf's home. At an outpost along the way they met up with group member 3, another dwarf, and were told to check in on some dwarves who were re-colonizing some ancient dwarven ruins. They got there and intercepted an orc raiding party led by an ogre (they were under the impression a lunar temple was there enstead of dwarven ruinds). They are now on their way to the elves of *forest* to speak with the white congress of mages (that right?) to find out what they can about this lunar temple.

behind the curtains, a cult (motivated into action by skinstealers) is looking to awaken the sleeping lunar gods and start a war with the gods. This of coarse will lead to the lunar war and rain.

how's it look so far?
Get paid up to $400 daily to view 40 websites. http://my4daily.iscool.net
Flushmaster
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Flushmaster »

Not bad. Interesting take on "awakening" the lunar gods.

Return to “DragonMech”