cost of being a mech owner...

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

cost of being a mech owner...

Post by Reese »

i was just doing a few calculations about the lunar rain, probability nd so forth...

as we all know, durring the heaviest lunar rain (21+ on 1d20+0or4) there's a chance per half hour that a direct hit from a fairly large rock occurs (DC 20 reflex, 1d10 squared damage)

using the time info in the core DM book, and a few base assumptions (a 28 day lunar cycle, 8 hours of lunar rain per night, and 3 days of 'full' moon per cycle)

i have got the following numbers:

3/140 days are days with heavy lunar rain

there is heavy lunar rain an average of 5.4 times per highpoint year

the direct strikes deal an average of 34.5 damage per strike (not counting hardness)

a direct strike to nedderpik deals an average damage of 19 per hit (rolls of 1-5 can't penetrate hardness, 6-10 can)

in an average heavy shower, about 285 points of damage would be dealt (less, there would be 16 chances to be struck per evening)

in an average year, nedderpik would be hit 82.08 times*, take 1559.52 points of damage, and spend 562,591.7 GP per year repairing it

(*becasue 20s always make saves, the actauly number of hit chances would be 86.4, the failed saves would be 82.08 times per year)

for the cost of that, i'd rather build something smaller, something that i can fit inside of a cave at night
Namfoodle "Sparklediver" Raulnor
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

A few mitigating factors could drastically reduce this cost.

Nedderpik could move to an area where the lunar rain is lightest. There must be a skill check somewhere one can make that would allow them to plot the Lunar rain cycle and location.

Nedderpik would add shielding in preparation for the lunar rain. This could temporarilly increase it's hardness. This might slow the mech down or cause other problems making it more vulnerable during the time - but what else is going to be out there during heavy lunar rain?

This could also include closing all hatches and reinforcing certain areas to brace for impact, further increasing hardness.

Nedderpik could seek shelter. I realize that sounds absurd but if the lunar rain comes down at an angle, a mountain or large hill could have a blindspot behind it the mech could use to avoid some of the damage.

Spellcasters could try to deflect some of the lunar rain with spells such as forcefeild.

I agree that a half million per year in upkeep would be a little steep.

Mark Charke
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Don't worry, Nedderpik has collision insurance through Geico. Although the premiums have definitely gone up since the lunar rain started. ;)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

well, it's not so much nedderpik i'm worried aobut as the smaller mechs... like the kabuto mechs of the iron tooth clans, for isntance, who have both less damage reduction and less of a budget
Namfoodle "Sparklediver" Raulnor
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}

Return to “DragonMech”