4th ED and DragonMech.

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

Seben-PistonRager
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: 4th ED and DragonMech.

Post by Seben-PistonRager »

*cough cough* Bump. *cough cough*

also, got the books... a bit early...will be dissecting it soon and starting to piece together things.

classes
races
equipment
mechs
skills... so much to do...
I've got a bionic ear!

But, there is no mechanic to support it!
Tsukasa111
Ill-Fated Peasant

Rituals and coglayer class and steampowers (mechs too)

Post by Tsukasa111 »

Here's some quickie stuff I did off the top of my head.

Coglayer:
Power Source: Steam
Role: Controller
Key Abilities: Dex, Con, Int
Skills:
Steam Engines and Mechs, and 8 of the following:
stealth
insight
perception
acrobatics
athletics
streetwise
endurance
Class features:

Boiler Training: gain access to a personal boiler, and counts as having the "boiler training" feat for the purposes of meeting feat prerequisites.
Machine Empathy: gains level bonus to steam engines and mechs skills.
Steam Powers Training can combine and assemble steam powers. Gains the ritual, Create Steam Power device, as a bonus to any other ritual he selects. can only combine 3 steam powers, +1 each level
Powers
Start Boiler(see above post)
Pump Boiler(see above post)
Use Device:
With the flick of a switch, your steam power device roars into life
At will * Steam
Standard
Personal
prerequisite: must have used start boiler, and have the required number of PP in reserve.
effect: activates device's effects
cost: X pp
note: once activated, a steam power device can be used as a standard action eac round.

Steam powers:
fog generator: 1 pp, 15ft. radius fog
boiler: +2 pp, 2x random effects (ie damage)
amplifier: +2pp, 2x number effects (ie range)
light generator: 1 pp, 20 ft./20 ft. light
drill: 1 pp, basic attack (1d4 + str, +2) or tool
pilot light: 1 pp, basic attack(1d4, +2, 5/10 range)
diffuser: +1 pp, spreads effect over 2x the range weakly
bloodhound: 1 pp, 30 ft/ scent detection, (needs 5 feet for specificity)
animator: +2 pp, device gains int 2, wis 10, and can function on its own.
clockwork puppet: 1 pp (+1 per add), small ambulatory creature, controlled by a operating box:
  • 1 puppet(size: tiny, mv 5, hp 10, ac 17)
    2 puppets (size: small, mv 6, hp 15, ac 15)
    3 puppets (size: medium, mv 7, hp 20, ac 13)
trembler: 1 pp, gives operator (or animated device), tremorsense
folder: +1 pp, folds device to 1/2 size

note, for each pp in cost, add 20 gp to ritual cost
Feats:

Steam Gun training:
prerequisite: steam boiler training or micro-boiler class feature
benefit: gains proficiency with steam guns, gains powers powerful shot (see above post), and devastating shot (see above post)

Rituals:
Create steam power device:
Level: 1
Category: SPs
Time: 1 hour per pp of device
Duration: permanent
Component Cost: 20 gp per pp of device
Market Price: 120 gp
Key Skill: Steam Engines
Effect: creates a desired steam power device form above list.
note, can be used to create any device desired

Create Mech:
Level: 8
Category: Mech
Time: 1 day per 1000 gp of market price of mech
Duration: Permanent
Component Cost: 200 Gp per 100 of mech's market price
Market price : 500 gp
Key Skill: Mechs
Effect: creates a mech from plans.
note: needs plans to create

Design Mech:
Level: 2
Category: Mech
Time: 5 hours per 1000 gp of market price of mech
Duration: permanent
Component Cost: 50 gp per 1000 of mech's market price
Market Price: 200 gp
Key Skill: Mechs
effect: Creates desired mech plans
Note, market price is the same as the price in the cost entry of the mech's stat block in the book

That's all so far.
Lemme hear some comments!
Last edited by Tsukasa111 on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seben-PistonRager
Wild-Eyed Zealot

yay! someone else helping! quick comments... hmmm... rituals are a bit too low of a level, too many skills, but I do like the flavor of the rituals, though they'll have to be on hold until the things they are about.

ok. got a basic breakdown of powers based on class, about 74 powers average per class minus paragon paths, epic destinies, and class based powers.

hmmm... YOu got Open Office, Tsukasa111?
It may be a way to get lots of info back and forth, and easier to edit, or format...hmmm... I should get PDF writer.... to do a cool set up.
I've got a bionic ear!

Tsukasa111
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Tsukasa111 »

yes, i have open office. I can also convert open ofice docs to PDFs via Primo PDF, a pdf printing software.

The coglayer device ritual should be low lvl, since it's how he assembles his steam powers. Others can probably be high lvl. Also, coglayers got lots o skills in 3.5...

I also had some steam power conversions, did u see em?

anyway...

Here's some more steam powers!

Extender: +1 pp, adds 10 ft. reach to device
Fan: 1 pp, moves gases 5 ft. in one direction / round.
Light Prism: 1 pp, warps light granting half cover. SPEC: combined with imagemaker, creates 3d holograms up to imagemaker range
Icebox: 1 pp, stores food and drink indefinitely.
Magnet Bond: 1 pp, holds 500 lbs. of weight, DC 30 Str check to break
Seben-PistonRager
Wild-Eyed Zealot

whoo such enthusiasm!

Well since there are no real craft skills in 4E, by the power of handwavium the need for a ritual to make the basic coglayer gear is a bit much. As far as the skills, everything in 4E get's fewer skills because a lot were combined or removed. As far as the steam powers, since it was the whole basis of the class it makes more sense to make the powers the class has based on the steam powers idea. At-will attacks being the basic stuff... drilling holes in faces, flamers, spark generators, ect.

I'll get some basic stuff up tonight, at work.
I've got a bionic ear!

Seben-PistonRager
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Coglayer
Role: Hybrid (controller/striker) You exchange quickly between short range battlefield manipulation and close up dangerous steam powered weapons, your versitility works well with many others.
Power Source: Steam. Super heated water, and a few turbines provide the bulk of the power, you just point it at things.
Key abilities: Dexterity, Intelligence, Constitution

Armor Proficiencies: Cloth, Leather, Light Shields
Weapon Proficiencies: To be added!
Bonus to Defense:+2 reflexes

Hit points at first level:12+ Constitution score
Hit points gained per level: 5
Healing surges per day: 6 + Con Mod

Trained Skills: Steam(Mech and steam engines combined since it's all about scale...). And 4 from the following list.
Endurance
Heal
History
Mech Pilot
Perception
Religion
Thievery
NOTE: there aren't universal skills as thought earlier!

Class features: Boiler Training, Steam Gear Specialty, Coglayer Weapon Talent.

Boiler training: All coglayers get the Boiler training feat and it's associated powers as a bonus feat.

Steam Gear Specialty: Coglayers can make "Steam" equipment as if they were 2 levels higher, This does not include Mechs.

Coglayer Weapon Talent: Choose a Coglayer at will ability, it can be used as a basic melee attack, in addition you gain a special bonus based on the ability you choose.

At wills:

Drill Coglayer Attack 1
At-Will * Steam, Drill, Weapon
Standard Action Melee Weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Str vs. AC
Hit: 2d4 + strength modifier damage.
Increase damage to 2d6 + strength modifier at 6th level.
Increase damage to 3d4 + strength modifier at 11th level.
Increase damage to 3d6 + strength modifier at 16th level.
Increase damage to 5d4 + strength modifier at 21st level.
Increase damage to 5d6 + strength modifier at 26th level.

Flame Nozzle Coglayer Attack 1
At will * Steam, Pilot Light, weapon
Standard Action Close blast 2
Target: Each creature in burst.
Attack: Dex vs Reflex.
Hit: 1d6 + Dex mod FIRE damage.
Increase damage to 2d6 + Dex mod at 11th level.
Increase blast to Close Blast 3 at 21st level.

Stun Probes Coglayer Attack 1
At will * Steam, spark generator, weapon
Standard action Melee weapon
Target: One Creature
Attack: Int Vs Fortitude.
Hit: 1d6 + Int mod Damage Lightning damage and target is dazed(save ends)
Increase effect to dazed and weakened(save ends both) at 11th level.
Increase effect to Stunned(save ends) at 21st level.

Piston Ram Coglayer Attack 1
At will * Steam, Piston staff, weapon
Standard action Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Con Vs Fortitude
Hit:2d6 Damage and target may be pushed 1 + con mod squares.
Miss: Target may attempt to push you, it rolls Con vs Fort and pushes Con mod in squares (min 1)
Increase damage to 3d6 damage and push to 2+con mod squares, and reduce amount of push on miss to con mod - 1 ( min 0) at 11th level.
Remove ability for opponents to attempt push on Miss at 21st level.

Hmm... they may be a little too powerful...but the idea is that they eat up your actions, a standard to actually use them, but in order to use them you would spend an action each round for the boiler... though I'm having a hard time deciding if it should be a minor action or a move action. combat is a lot about the economy of actions in 4E... if it was a minor, I could have some powers take 2 uses of "pump boiler" and thus have them be a little more powerful.

more to come! I gotta get back to work!
I've got a bionic ear!

Tsukasa111
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Tsukasa111 »

Yeah, you're probably about the steam powers...

Although, to be honest, i still think items work, and rituals best reflect how to create items in 4e (i think). Oh, and there should be a bonus to Steam, as it was in the old class which made the incredibly high mechcraft DCs attainable.(EDIT: Now that it think about it, items pretty much got replaced by powers, at least in terms of utility items. So, i see why powers might be the way to go)

I have a sick coglayer daily power idea, if we're going on the basis of double pumps increase power (by the way, i think the pump should be minor, as it is fairly minor to push a button or pull a lever):

OverStoke (Daily 1):
You turn up the heat on your boiler while pumping in additional water, increasing the pressure two-fold
Minor, Steam
Target: Personal
Effect: Double the amount of PP in your boiler.

Hows that?
Seben-PistonRager
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Man oh man... I hate loosing my passwords for stuff... but I got a hard copy now.. that will show me for clearing browser history...

Tsukasa111, I've been thinking about it, and while the idea of using a point accumulation system to use powers is a good idea, it brings a level of paperwork that would get annoying in the long run. so I'm thinking instead of all the abilities needing points, just put a "special" requirement that basically reads

Special:Must use Pump Boiler Power once(or twice or even three times, 3 pumps would be a very powerful ability that requires the use of an action point to activate.) in the same round as activating this power.

or have the power with a scaling addendum for each use of "pump boiler" slightly increasing the effect. and maybe even have some higher level abiities give the ability to get a pump as a free action, so you can get max power easier. "Red Lining" as it were.

Special effects, from the other items that would work well as "magic items" would be renamed steam powers. So everyone with a little training can use them. There are some really good ideas for things like this, in the expanded warforged writeup that wizards made.

I honestly haven't made much headway on this because I've also been working on converting B2 Keep on the borderlands to 4E, I've had some ideas about the steam weapons. So I'll see about typing it up and putting it on here when I'm not so tired and apathetic.
I've got a bionic ear!

Arek
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Arek »

Okay, I admit I haven't read some of the earlier thread, but I'm starting to think that Dragonmech is going to be tough to convert to 4e.

Dragonmech seems better suited to a more customizeable system--I'm not saying 3.x is perfect, just that it's more flexible. Dragonmech is all about making your own mechs and customizing your own stuff, and 4e doesn't provide many guidelines on how to do it.

Some other things...

-The 4e skill system could quite possibly be scrapped and then replaced with something more comprehensible. Dragonmech is a more skill-focused game than normal d20 products, so it needs that can be easily run and applied.

-How the heck would you handle Mechs and mech combat in 4e, especially when one side has a mech and the other side doesn't? I'm totally at a loss here.
Seben-PistonRager
Wild-Eyed Zealot

SKills, yeah, it's a skill focus game, knowledges and crafting specifically. Knowledges are still in but crafting is out. Which squarely puts it in the realm of background, if you want to be a blacksmith you just say you're a blacksmith, the more complicated things(magical item) are made with rituals(and so can mechs).

as far as mech combat, a single pilot(crew) mech will basically be a template of stuff, that can combine with the mech pilots skills, for a mech that requires multiple PC's will be basically the same, but... the pilot will have a majority of the powers, others may be firing from ports, feeding the boiler,reloading a weapon, or manning a weapon instead of the pilot, or moving from post to post as needed, it would be a group effort. It'll take more to work it over, PC's on foot against a mech, or PC's in a mech against monsters on foot... probably need to devise a way to translate mech to foot combat xp... initially I think a flat multiplier would be easiest.
I've got a bionic ear!

mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Arek wrote:Okay, I admit I haven't read some of the earlier thread, but I'm starting to think that Dragonmech is going to be tough to convert to 4e.

Dragonmech seems better suited to a more customizeable system--I'm not saying 3.x is perfect, just that it's more flexible. Dragonmech is all about making your own mechs and customizing your own stuff, and 4e doesn't provide many guidelines on how to do it.
The more I work with 4e, the more I agree with those sentiments.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
Arek
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Arek »

Seben-PistonRager wrote:
speaking of which I've been working on weapons. should have it tweaked and up in a few days.

Awesome.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

I have used my awesome powers of forum moderatorness to split the magic item topic into a separate thread. You will find it in the D20/D&D Conversation forum. So continue on if you wish.

And maybe start a flame war with each other or something...now that I've had a taste of my powers I want to use them all the time! You might say I crave extreme moderation! :lol:
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
Arek
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Arek »

mythfish wrote:I have used my awesome powers of forum moderatorness to split the magic item topic into a separate thread. You will find it in the D20/D&D Conversation forum. So continue on if you wish.

And maybe start a flame war with each other or something...now that I've had a taste of my powers I want to use them all the time! You might say I crave extreme moderation! :lol:
Hah. I'll pass, thanks anyway. :P

Edit: So, hey, I was looking at the ritual mechanic. It might be suitable for making 4e steam gear and mechs, but personally, for the steam stuff, I'd increase the time taken to build a mech, and decrease the amount of money it takes. And make a group ritual thing where getting helped by people who can do the same ritual can speed things along. So, for example, the city-mechs were done in a useful amount of time because they had a LOT of help.
Oaksoul Elite
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Oaksoul Elite »

I still haven't seen too much of 4e (only enough loaned by a DM to half-build my first 4e character). But I did see one useful thing. DragonMech says that there's been a rise of lunar-tainted sorcerers. When converting that character, build a star-pact warlock. Reflavor the eldritch blast as shooting meteors. There you go.

For translating the coglayer, I think it would best translate the old system if you could choose a power twice in order to increase its benefit (like stacking amplifiers). I'm still not happy about it though. Maybe the steam powers should use the ritual and magic item construction rules, and the actual class "exploits" or whatever you name them focus on improving their function.

EDIT: And I realize now that this is probably what's been suggested before, but I only now understand 4e enough to realize it. Sorry if I've only repeated someone else's idea. It seems to me that the coglayer could be a good leader, rather than a controller. Several of the artificer abilities (see the WotC preview) actually feel very coglayer-ish. Admittedly, they're also pretty good for control. But not in the 4e context of control = larger area blasting. Like the spring pad is definitely a coglayer utility. Steamborg feels like it could make a good striker, with some builds making it into a defender. I'd call a mech jockey a defender/striker hybrid. Using a mech really is about defending (and drawing attention away from others). Of course, a mech is also really good at dealing massive damage to one target (striker). Plus, a mech jockey needs some "role" without a mech - that's a striker, for sure.
I am Omnirahk, half-Rahkshi ("Omni") of the WotC forums. I consider "Psionics in DragonMech" (see my website) my greatest contribution to anything d20 so far. At least, it's my most successful topic.
Seben-PistonRager
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Indeed, altering some flavor is by far the easiest way to get the most basic way to alter things for a game, heck my gnome barbarian was overhauled and is a mere shadow of what he was because of the way things are supposed to scale in 4E, but his flavor is still the same, though his small greatsword is now just a short sword...ugh. That's another thing I'll have to mess with, universal sized weapons...

Anyway, apologies for the drooling fans out there, a crazy week later I've not been able to get any work done due to trying to sell a paperwieght of a car, and get another job(or a better first one)

Revelations to be had, specialty steam gear to be "magic" items.
I've got a bionic ear!

Alyss
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Alyss »

Hello everyone! I'm new on this forum, but not about Drangonmech and 4th edition. In fact, I am using the DMech's rules in my campaign for 2 years at now, and last month we did the great jump to 4th edition. As DM, I loved to include the steampunk aspect (and mechs!) to a low-magic fantasy world, mostly out of spite for the overpowerness of magical things in D&D3rd. The result was a fantasy-horror whit steampunk things around, a strange mix that worked surprisingly well, despite my player's initial doubts.

Enough about me.

DrangonMech for the 4th. Or, better, DragonMech's rules for the 4th. I, as written above, use a custom campaign and world, as such I have little to give to DMech's world. But I hope to be of help for the 4th edition conversion.

So, my suggestions:

1) Steamborg: decisively a Defender. It try to be more similar to the metallic things than living, and the first thing that come to mind is something damn hard.

1.5) The Mech Jokey is about speedy kill before people impair the mech, by boarding or cutting away something important. He's decisely a striker.

2) Steamengine: it can be included as implement for coglayers and steamborgs (As result, can happen to be magical and improve the chance to use linked powers).

3) Assimilated seem appropriated as Epic Class.

Now, on specifics:

1) Skills: not too many in addition of existing ones. Pilot may as well fall under Thievery (for the same reason that mech jokey had the weapon finesse feat in 3.5: it's all matter of hand-eye coordination) or be dropped enterily. Mechanic may as well include both Steam Engine and Mechcraft and Mech Knowledge. Remember, despite some of the DMech's classes are basically artisans, the 4th ed. rotate around action and fighting. Things like Craft are gone, NPC take care of it.

2) Mechbuilding: it may be a feat, working as the Ritual feat. Different pieces of equipment can become similar to different spells, requiring a certain cost, level and skill roll DC to be realized/ repaired/ modified. Maybe an ending roll to "get them together" can be added. Something similar (or different!) may be used for the Steamborg implants (btw, steamborg may as well work as a race, look at the ebberon's warforged for 4th edition article free for download at the official D&D site), the Coglayer devices, etc.

3) As result, the tech-related classes (especially the Mech Jokey, Steamborg and Coglayer) may have powers linked to their specific field of ability. A coglayer can have something to power-up devicies, the Steamborg can take out the most from the implants, and Mech Jokey can use different mechs (and mech equipments) like a fighter do whit whit the different type of weapons.
Seben-PistonRager
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Apologies all around, I hit a bout broken computer followed by a bout of way too lazy, then a bout of obsessed with Gemcraft. But I'm back. Full of new and hopefully inspired ideas, and if I can maintain this mental state for a few days I'll make a good amount of progress on this update again.

also, good input from everyone.

Alyss.

1. Agree
1.5. Agreeing more and more
2. That is a really really good idea.
3. Exactly what I was thinking a perfect epic destiny, for any of the base dragonmech classes,(direct connection and integration for steamborgs, mech jockies and coglayers, and magical oneness/disembodyment probably with a magical construct mech for constructors)

part B

1. that's something I'm going to have to give a lot more thought too, but the classes will focus more on the "offensive" side of the classes than their previous production base, the skill will be assumed(or folded into a skill check or skill challenge) and the powers will focus more on the combative side, though some will be able to be used out of combat too.

2. that was my basic idea as well, just trying to wrap my noodle around a relatively quick and easy way to build some basic models and a system for "custom" mechs...I'm thinking a point buy system might be the most balanced but it's something that would need some tests run on it to see if it held up to potential player(but not DM(those filthy cheaters)) abuse.

3. Also an idea I was kicking around, like for the mech jockie give some powers a "double billed" ability that translates into a real modifier to mech combat, while not totally unbalancing mech combat against ground troops(monsters) which always seemed quite one sided, in either direction. stomping orcs flat or mauled to death by a giant... I think the Mech stuff will be the highest hurdle to deal with, but taking it in stride may help.
I've got a bionic ear!

Alyss
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Alyss »

I'm working on some design for heavy weapons. This can be handy for mechs too, being basically the same weapons (ballista, cannons, etc) you can find on ground units as artilleries and mounted on castles' walls.

Stay tuned!

- To do: compleate heavy weapon stats / mechanics
- Start to write down the leadership rules I dreamed tonight.
Seben-PistonRager
Wild-Eyed Zealot

OK! so I was thinking about the Constructor(variant wizard specialist) and weather to make it its own class or just a variant with a couple optional powers more in line with the genre. I think it would be best to make it its own class for a few interesting reasons. More genre specific useful abilities, and a new set of implements based on mechs and machinery(I'm thinking simple machines or the next step up, screws, springs, and Cogs came to mind immediately, but there may be some others worth debating, so speak up about that.)
I've got a bionic ear!

Alyss
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Alyss »

It may be a paragorn for the Coglayer.

I am playtesting some simple rule for Heavy weaponary, Mech and pilot.

Generic guidline for pilot as tested last day:

Mech Jokey
- Role: Striker. You hit hard before people hamper or dismatle your cumbersome walking fortress.

- Power source: Steam. I have think alot on it, and in the end the power of the mechjokey is that of harnessing the best from the mech's engines and parts. So, steam.

- Main Abilities:
Dexterity (just, click the SHOOT button at the right time while moving and keeping balance),
Intelligence (For managing the mechanism and tempistics, indirect fire artillery usage),
Wisdom (for steam-related powers and black powder/ steam weapons)

- Skills:
yet to do.

- HP:
10 + CON, 5/LVL after.

- Healing Surge:
6+con bonus.

- Defences:
+2 REF.

paragorn class:
Mech Devil, Artillery Specialist, Ironwall (feel free to add more)

Class Feature:
Born Onboard:
You can use all of your skills, powers and feats while piloting a mech, and whiteout penalty.
I plan to have normal char some malus while trying to pilot a mech.

Mech Weapon Talent:
You know how to use all of the weapons mounted on any mech, ever if when dislodged from it you may have no clue.

Beared of Second Skin:
Choose one:
Mech Dancer: Give bonus to AC equal to INT. Some power also get boosted.
Smasher Giant: Give bonus to damage equal to DEX bonus in close combat. Some power also get boosted.

Implement:
Any engine your mech is using can be used as implement for the appropriated Steam powers you know.

At this point the typical striker class getsome damage boost. I think that Mechpilots doesn't need them, the mech is enough capable of dishing out huge damages whiteout needing for extra blasts. Also, I wish to have Jokeys piloting mechs from lvl1, and simply going up buyng/commissioning better and better machines s other chars get magic armors and weapons.

This is the Test:

Basic mech rules:

- Cumbersome: Mechs cannot take 1-square slide as move action.

Does provoke attack of opportunity for using range weapon in close combat only by equal-size or larger creatures.

- Riding: people riding on to of a mech must success on a athletic skill DC20 to stay on it, or fall down. If they wish to attack, they recive a +5 DC penalty on the check. If they keep "whit all of their being" (a standard action) they recive a -5 DC bonus on the check.
A riding check is required every time the Mech take a run or charge action, or use a Shaking power.

- The pilot can use his healing surges to heal the Mech, including second wind.
FLUFF: This represent "fix on the fly" adjustments, and the ability to deviate the various fuel/energies sources in secondary system. The loss of HS from th pilot represent the strees on him.

- System Failure: Once the Mech is bloodied, it can not run and always grant combat advantage.

Simple Mech:

The Clearground, Scout Mech:
Arcane-powered engine (Implement bonus: +2, Daily power: can be used once as Arcane Implement instead until the end of your next round).
Size Large
HP:120
AC 18
Resist: physical 5
MSTR: 22 (+6)

Weapons:
Twinlinked self-reloading Javelin Launcher:
Hit on DEX vs. AC, 2d8+DEX, Large, Turret, two attacks, free reload.

Combat Blade (*2, one on each arm, Large Daggers):
Hit on DEX vs. AC, 2d4+MSTR, Large, off-hand, light blade.

Transport:
pilot plus up to 2 people on top and 2 on legs.

---------------

Simple Level 6 Mech Jokey:
Ryu Skyleap, Human, Royal Scout:
STR 10
DEX 21
CON 12
INT 14
WIS 14
CHA 11

Mech Dancer (+2 to mech AC)

Feats:
Mechspeed (+2 to mech speed); Improved Initative

Powers:

Self-Sincronized Attack:
At-Will
Steam, Melee And/or Ranged Weapon
Standard Action

Two different Mech Weapons of any kind.

Target: one or two creatures.
- one attack whit each weapon.
Attack: As normal for the weapon.
Hit: 1[W] (melee) or 1[W] (ranged), as appropriated for the weapon.
Increase thi to 2[W] at 21th.

Lock on Target:
At-Will
Steam, Ranged Weapon
Standard Action

Target: one creatures.

Attack: As normal for the weapon+2.
Hit:1[W] (ranged), as appropriated for the weapon.
Increase this to 2[W] at 21th.

Mass Factor:
At-Will
Steam, implement, physical, shaking
Standard Action

Target: Close Blast equal to the Mech's size.

Attack: DEX vs. Fort.
Hit:1d6+INT and push the target(s) a number of squares equal to your WIS modifier, and you can slide to occupy the spaces left open.

Iron Force:
Encounter lvl 1
Steam, Ranged or Melee Weapon
Standard Action

Target: one creature.

Attack: As normal for the weapon+2.
Hit:2[W] (Melee) or 2[W] (ranged), as appropriated for the weapon.
smasher Giant: the target is pushed a number of squares equal to your WIS bonus.

Catapult Snipe:
Encounter lvl 3
Steam, Ranged Weapon
Standard Action

Target: one creatures.

Attack: As normal for the weapon vs. REF.
Hit:2[W] (ranged), as appropriated for the weapon.
Special: you ignore any cover between you and the target.

Strike to Win:
Daily lvl 2
Steam, Melee Weapon
Standard Action

Target: one creature.

Attack: As normal for the weapon vs. FOR.
Hit:2[W] (melee), as appropriated for the weapon, and the target is pushed MSTR bonus, and become prone.
Smasher Giant: if you hit, make a Secondary Attack:
- Target: close burst 1 around the pushed creature after the push is resolved.
Attack: All creatures in the area, DEX vs. REF.
Hit:INT bonus damage, and the targets become prone.

Free from Restrain:
Daily lvl 5
Steam, Melee Weapon, Physical, Shaking
Standard Action

Target: close burst 1.

Attack: all enemies in th area, DEX vs. REF.
Hit:2[W] (melee), as appropriated for the weapon, and all targets are pushed 1, and you slide 1.
Mech Dancer: You can slide up to your DEX bonus after the attack instead of 1.

Roll whit it:
Utility, Daily lvl 6
Steam
Move Action

Target: personal.

Effect: slide a number of squares equal to your DEX bonus.

let me know what do you think. It foght along similar level- chars (a rogue, a warlord and a artificer) vs. the LvL 8 encounter i nthe "Mummies" entry in the MM, and despite taking large damages, it farer pratty well whiteout taking the fun away from the other players. I fear what a priest can do whit a mech ally, however. So it is to be tuned.
Seben-PistonRager
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Wow... that's some good stuff. Admittedly I was going to avoid doing much with the Mech Jock and indeed Mechs until the end due to their complicated nature.

But here's some stuff from my notes...

Weapon Property:
Chatter: On a Critical strike Weapon does 2+(2 per enhancement bonus) ongoing damage (save ends) for use on the saw based weapons (buzzaxe,buzzsaw,chattersword,buzzknife)
Brutal: Saw this on the latest FR excerpt page, I think it would work well with a lot of the steam weapons.

Weapon powers: I had a few ideas for giving minor encounter(and possibly at will) powers to some of the more interesting steam weapons like the drill weapons having a quick damage boost, buzzsaws ignoring a small amount of resistance, steam hammers having a steam blast attack. They would all need to be pretty minor, but would help keep the flavor of the weapons, but could be improved at the same time as magical improvement.

Gnome Racial Ability: Counterweight: Gnomes count as medium sized for the use of Steam Weapons, due to the counterweight all steam weapons that aren't one handed weigh twice as much as normal.(I'm thinking reducing that to 1.5 times as much might be fine, depending on how heavy the weapons are base.)

Steamborg

Role: Defender
Power Source: Steam. Driven by an internal steam engine your artificial parts gives you great strength.
HP at 1st Level: 15 + Constitution Score
HP each level: 6
Healing Surges: 9 + Constitution Modifier
Key Abilities: Str, Con, Wis, Dex(for those dexy elf steamborgs...)
Armor Proficiencies: Cloth, Leather, Hide, Chain, Scale
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple Melee, Military Melee, Steam Melee
Bonus to Defense: +2 Fortitude

Class abilities: In progress. Probably a choice of bonus to hit(with steam weapons) or bonus damage(with "normal" weapons), a steam based marking power, and a basic artificial part system(like other classes having minor bonuses based on idea, like rogue and warlord)
I've got a bionic ear!

Alyss
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Alyss »

I notice the WIS as key bility for the stemborg. Can we fix it as main steam (engines) ability? As such we will have Coglayers as INT/ WIS char Controller.

I am quite unsure for Steamborg as class. But, if we read carfully the Paladin entry, the Pal undergo a ritual to become a divine living weapon, so a man can undergo a tech powerup to become a steamborg... I am still unsure of it. As race it doesn't fit, as class it doesn't fit... What if the Steamborg become a feat series? Dunnow. Let it as class atm.

Now.

A steamborg is linked to the Steam Engine as main thing. It is its distinguish factor. As result:

Defense bonus: +2 to will

Steamborg mind is quite un-human, and take alot of will to make this change and survive whiteout going totally mad.

Steam Engine:

The steamborg have a build-in steam engine. It can be easily substitute whit a new, but if the steamborg is left whiteout it for more than 10 rounds, he/she will die.
Substituting a steam engine take a standard action for any character trained in Mechanics, and two standard action for untrained characters.
Steamborg can use their implanted Steam Engines as Implement for their powers.

Steam Cloud:

You constantly release a small amount of steam, that give you a -2 penalty to your Stealth ability if you are not obscured.
When doing stressful actions, like fighting, the Steamborg accelerate the working rhythm of his engine, releasing an increased amount of steam disposal.
See the Steam Cloud basic class power:

Steam Cloud:
Your engine pump out more steam when you are under stress.
At-Will
Steam, Area
No Action

Trigger:
You make an attack, or use an attack power.
Target: All creatures Close Burst 1.
Effect: Your square and the squares in a Close Blast 1 become Difficult Terrain except for you. The Area move whit you. In addition, your Steam Cloud's Stealth malus is increased to -4.
This Effect (both the area and the Stealth malus) last until the end of your next turn.
Special: You must use this effect when the trigger activate.

For the powers, I have an idea. 4 of each at each level, one for each of the borg's area. Like, legs, Arms, Body, head. Each at-will power is prerequisite for the followings of the same kind.

To-test power List:

Basic Legs Implant:
At-will lvl 1
Steam, Legs
minor action

Target:
Personal

Effect: your speed augment by 1 until the end of your next turn.
Increase this to +3 at 21th level.

Basic Arms Implant:
At-will lvl 1
Steam, Arms
Minor action

Target:
Personal

Effect: Add your WIS bonus to a single melee damage. You can use this bonus only once and only before the end of your next turn.
Increase this to WIS bonus+3 at 21th lvel

basic Torso Implant:
At-Will lvl 1
Steam, Torso
Minor Action

Target:
Personal

Effect:
You gain temporary Hit points equal to your CON Bonus+1 until the end of your next turn.
increase this to CON bonus+5 at 21th level.

basic Head Implant:
At-Will lvl 1
Steam, Head
Minor Action

Target:
Personal

Effect:
You gain an +3 AC bonus against a single attack that you can use before the attack roll is made and before the end of the your next turn.
increase this bonus to +5 at 21th level.

EDIT:
Balanced a couple of thing in the powers, correct a couple of typo. Added the steam cloud basic ability.

Encounter, lvl 1

Heavy Metal Dance:
You stomp whiteout any grace on the enemy foots, making hard for them to run away.
Encounter lvl 1
Steam, Legs, Implement, Physical
Standard Action

Target:
Up to two different targets adjacent to you.
Attack: WIS vs. AC
Hit: 1d6 + CON bonus, and the target is slowed until the end of your next turn.

Come Here!:
Hidden mechanisms allow for ranged attack, whit a nasty surprise.
Encounter lvl 1
Steam, Arms, Implement, Physical, Ranged
Standard Action

Target:
Ranged 5.
Attack: DEX vs. AC
Hit: 1d8 + DEX bonus, and the target is pulled next to you.

Smoke Cloud:
Combining a bit of oil whit the hot steam you release normally, you can create an inky cloud around you.
Encounter lvl 1
Steam, Torso, Implement, Fire, Area
Standard Action

Target:
Close Burst 1.
Attack: WIS vs. FOR against all creatures in the area.
Hit: 1d6 + CON bonus Fire damage.
Effect: Your square and the squares in a Close Blast 1 become Total Concealment Area until the end of your next turn. The Area do not move whit you, but if you move out you are granted Light Concealment until the end of your next turn.

Clean Hit:
Yuor augmented reflexes and perception systems allow for a perfect strike that impose full attention on you.
Encounter lvl 1
Steam, Head, Melee Weapon
Standard Action

Target:
One enemy.
Attack: STR+2 vs. REF
Hit: 1[W]+ STR bonus, and the target is marked until the end of the encounter.

Daily Level 1

Stomping Jump:
You Jump into the fray!.
Daily lvl 1
Steam, Legs, Implement
Standard Action

Special:
make a fly move up to your WIS bonus in squares before attacking. This move must be in a straight line.
Target: all creatures in a Close Burst 1.
Attack: CON vs. FORT
Hit: 1d6+ CON bonus
Effect: the targets become prone, ever if you do not hit.

Jackhammer Strike:
Strike, Strike and Strike again!.
Daily lvl 1
Steam, Arms, Melee Weapon, Reliable
Standard Action

Target:
one enemy.
Attack: STR vs. AC
Hit: 3[W] + STR bonus.

Mechanical Creature:
As the enemies fall before you, your systems reach the full throttle.
Daily lvl 1
Steam, Torso, Melee Weapon
Standard Action

Target:
one enemy.
Attack: STR vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + STR bonus, and you can expend an healing surge. You also get a +1 bonus to your level 1 at-will steamborg powers' effects until the end of the encounter.

Metal Cranium:
Cranium is a scientific term, knowing it mean that you use your head often.
Daily lvl 1
Steam, Head, Physical, Implement
Standard Action

Target:
one enemy.
Attack: STR vs. REF
Hit: 2d6 + CON bonus, and the target is Marked until the end of the encounter and Stunned (save end the stun). If the target save it, he/she is Slowed (save end).
Jakews
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Jakews »

I am really looking forward to 4th ED DragonMech and the new DragonMech wargame coming out. I can't wait!
Seben-PistonRager
Wild-Eyed Zealot

I've been looking thru the Monster manual and think I found something interesting for Mechs, vulnerability to area affect attacks.

Swarms take extra damage from area attacks due to their spread out nature and I think it would make good sense to apply that same logic to the semi-delicate nature of the gear and steamworks of most mechs.(yet another bonus for those animated mechs...)
I've got a bionic ear!

Return to “DragonMech”