Rod Walker variants

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Rod Walker variants

Post by Raptor »

Thought I'd tryout some variants of the rod walker with different wand setups than the standard fireball wands.

Supporter:<4*enhanced magic missile (CL9)> Although less damaging than the standard, this design is very useful supporting close-combat mechs as it can fire into melee without endangering friendlies. Also useful against enemies with fire immunity or resistance, or incorporeal creatures.

Summoner: 4*summon monster III (2*celestial hippogriffs, 2*celestial eagles) (CL10) This design is good support for other mechs, providing troops to hold off boarders. It can also be useful in any terrain with short lines of sight. Because celestial eagles are from the summon monster II list, you get 1d3 for each wand you activate. If the pilot speaks celestial it can also be useful for tactical reconaisance.

Dissolver: 4*extended melf's acid arrow (CL9) Designed to kill other mechs, since most materials do not count hardness versus acid. With a 760 ft. range, if it hits with all 4 arrows, it deals 8d4 damage/round for 8 rounds. It's even more dangerous if the pilot has Weapon Focus(ranged touch) or Improved Critical (ranged touch).

Please send in any of your ideas for variants.
Last edited by Raptor on Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sword Guy
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Sword Guy »

Well, here's an easy one:

Lightning Walker: This rodwalker variant is built for (relatively) close-range combat. Usually the gunner can apply Enlarge Spell to wands, giving the mech some additional range. An 8th level wand of lightning bolt can give a lot of damage very quickly.
DragonMech DM soon, with any luck.

Owner of all DragonMech books, Etherscope core book, and DCC 12.5: Iron Crypt of the Heretics.
MagusRogue
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by MagusRogue »

want something lethal, and much more expensive, try some disintegration wands..
AAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDD this rant's done.
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Wand max

Post by Raptor »

Disintegrate is too high of a level. Wands can hold a maximum of a 4th level spell (including Metamagic).
Last edited by Raptor on Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MagusRogue
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by MagusRogue »

oh yeah..... *lol* forgot.
MagusRogue
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by MagusRogue »

actually, i got a couple ggood ideas.

MMP (Mobel Mage Platform): try some metamagic rods. Even though the rodwalker itself won't have any magic of its own, it greatly increases the power of the spells of mages on-board. Added flexibility, limited only by what the gunners are capable of casting. And the normal and lesser types cost bout the same as most wands you'd find in a rodwalker. Only problem is they're only good for 3 shots, so make those spells count.

Medic: Wands of Cure Wounds and Repair Damage turns the rodwalker from a weapon to a defensive item, keeping the other mechs in the unit healthy and fit for battle, as well as any ground troops that might be.
Quetzi
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Quetzi »

Personally I'd like a rodwalker with fours wands of goodberry.

Well, maybe like a field medic?
I don't really have anything to say. And everything I do have to say is lies.
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

L Model Rodwalker

Post by Raptor »

While no one can deny the firepower of the standard Rodwalker, it is also very expensive (100,000+ gp), and is not much tougher than most mechs its size. Its firepower is also overkill in many situations, and requires fairly high level casters to replace or recharge its wands. The L (or Light) model Rodwalker was designed for those who wanted a cheaper version that still had fair capabilities. Here are the stats:

Rodwalker (Mod L)
Elven Large Animated Mech

Size: Large
Power Source: Animated (dispel DC )
Payload Units: 3
Height: 9 ft.
Space/Reach: 5 ft./ 5 ft.
Crew: 1 (weapons: 1)
Firing Ports: 2
Hit Dice: 4
Hit Points: 22
Critical Threshold: Not subject to critical hits
Base Initiative: +4
Speed: 50 ft.
Maveuverability: Perfect
AC: 9
Hardness: 13 (66% steel, 33 % mithral)
Base Melee Attack: -1
Base Ranged Attack: +4
Unarmed Damage: 1d6
Trample: largest ; safe ; damage
Saves: Fort 0, Ref +2, Will -
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 18, Con -, Int -, Wis -, Cha -,
Mechcraft DC: 26
Base Planning Time: 52 days
Base Cost: 708 gp
Total Cost: 43,208 gp
Labor Requirements: 480 man-hours + magic item creation time
Construction Time: 6 days (10 labourers & 1 overseer) + ritual (1 day) + magic item creation time
Special: Weapons Link (Fireball wands)

Payload Usage
PU Use
1 Crew
2 Onboard weaponry
3 Total

ONBOARD WEAPONS
Location Arc of Fire Weapon (damage, range in ft., other) PU Crew
Left Arm 180 forward Linked Fireball wand (5d6 fire, 600, 20 ft. area) 1 1
Right Arm 180 forward Linked Fireball wand (5d6 fire, 600, 20 ft. area) 1 0
Oaksoul Elite
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Rod Walker variants

Post by Oaksoul Elite »

Here's a few others:

- Evard's Rodwalker. Casting Black Tentacles wherever it goes, this mech can be a true terror for enemy mechs. Sidenote: it probably requires some houseruling. Basically alter combine spell so that casting 4 Evard's Black Tentacles at a time makes tentacles big enough to actually grapple a mech.
- Black Legionaire. A creation of the Shadow Congress, this mech surveys old battlefields and casts Animate Dead. If that's not to your liking, then this is a variant belonging to a defector now in service of Sharlorn the Necropolis.
- Legion. (Ok, so the name is too similar to the last. Cut me some slack!) Mass Enlarge Person. So you can't field a lot of mechs in a hurry? Why not bring your infantry up to mech size? If only there were an Enlarge Monster spell...
- Dispel Magic. A specialty mech used to hunt down defectors, rogue necromancers, and Shadow Congress agents, this mech excels at removing enemies from the fight entirely. With the help of constructors, other variants exist, making use of Tick Tock Knock, Gearghoul Touch, Bestow Malfunction, or Inflict Damage.
- Web. Used mainly against infantry, and a drow variant of the Rodwalker.
- Grease. The ideal way to shut down unskilled mech pilots. Works particularly well with regular Rodwalkers, as the oilslick is quite flammable.

Of all of these, I particularly like the Dispel Magic (and variants) and the Web one. Actually, I really like web. Perhaps it's only suited to anti-infantry, but damn if it isn't cool.
I am Omnirahk, half-Rahkshi ("Omni") of the WotC forums. I consider "Psionics in DragonMech" (see my website) my greatest contribution to anything d20 so far. At least, it's my most successful topic.
Sivartius
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Vozza's Hobbies and Comics

Re: Rod Walker variants

Post by Sivartius »

Live! LIVE!

ahem

The Bombarder
(created using the War Spell metamagic feat from Cry Havok)
(Also includes the Camouflage Armor Mech Special, and perhaps the Silent Moves special as well.)
1 War Spell Fireball Rod Walker Wand
1 War Spell Acid Ball Rod Walker Wand
1 War Spell Stinking Cloud Rod Walker Wand
1 War Spell Halucinatory Terrain Rod Walker Wand

These mechs are even rarer and more expensive than a normal Rodwalker. These very specialized mechs are never intended to engage in combat with anything that is capable of firing back. Their role is to wait until one or more mechs or a small party of elves (either protected from either fire or acid,) has initiated combat with a group of enemies and drawn as many of them as possible into a 200 ft radius area, then unleash a devastating blast, potentially weakening the enemy catastrophically. Other times, it will create a giant cloud to cover an elven group's retreat, or use a large-scale Halucinatory Terrain to lead enemies into a fatal fall. Since casting a War Spell takes 10x the usual time, with a minimum of 10 rounds, the Bombarder is in serious trouble if enemies ever manage to engage it. Some commanders replace one of the support wands with a standard Rod Walker Fireball Wand to partially make up this deficiency.

Note: A War Spell may only apply to a spell with a range of "Medium" or "Long", takes 10x as long to cast, uses 10x as much materials, costs 10x as much xp (if there is an xp cost) and decreases the save DC by 2. However, it has 10x the range, and 10x the area (for spells with an area,) or has 10x the targets/effects. No individual target can receive more effect from the spell than a normal spell could use, (so if you cast a War Spell Magic Missile to conjure 50 missiles, no more than 5 of them could target one enemy. It uses up a spell slot 1 lvl higher.
"Logic works better if you're holding a knife." -Bunny

Return to “DragonMech”