steampunk stuff

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

spyderalien
Far-Sighted Wanderer

steampunk stuff

Post by spyderalien »

okay, I've got to admit, DragonMech really got me hooked on steampunk, so I'm here to make the official topic (I've seen other ppl ask this question) what are other good steampunk things? I mean RPG's, books, and movies, and anything else. I really want to see more steampunk stuff, particullary RPG's, but anything will do. I've seen lots of steampunk books and RPG's, but i need help on choosing which ones are better over the worse.
spyderalien
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by spyderalien »

and are there any steampunk-devoted websites?
Ken Hart
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Ken Hart »

For websites, here's a good one, although it's focused on "classic" Steampunk, i.e., gadgets and concepts derived from the imagination of people like Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, and geniuses Charles Babbage and Nicolas Tesla. (The Victorian Age ruled!)

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9094/STEAM2.html

For books, check out K.W. Jeter's "Infernal Devices" if you can find it (it's out of print, but you can probably find a used copy on Amazon's Z-shops or on Half.com). It's pretty wild, mixing Victorian England with conspiracy theories, political intrigue, and weird gadgets. Not a great book, but an entertaining read.

There's also "The Difference Engine" by Bruce Sterling and William Gibson, which creates a fascinating "what if" scenario: What if Charles Babbage got the funding for his prototype steam-driven, punch-card computer in the 1800s? Terrific book for the most part, with great characters and cool description of a steam-powered, computerized Victorian England, although the last quarter of the book is a big letdown, IMO.

As for other RPGs, I haven't read Privateer Press' Iron Kingdoms new sourcebook yet, but I've been impressed by all of the other IK products to date. Steve Jackson's GURPS Steampunk is excellent: It's squarely set in a "Babbage-ized" Victorian Age, but there are guidelines for adapting it for fantasy settings. (A spin-off booklet, GURPS Scream-punk, gives ideas on how to create mad scientists and evil steampunk gadgets and creatures with a Cthulhuian or Ravenloftian flair.)

Oh, almost forgot: Alan Moore and Kevin Nowlan's "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen." The first two comic series are now available as graphic novels. (The first one is MUCH better.) And I even liked the movie version, despite the changes from the comics.
spyderalien
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by spyderalien »

thanks
MagusRogue
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by MagusRogue »

Ken Hart wrote:Oh, almost forgot: Alan Moore and Kevin Nowlan's "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen." The first two comic series are now available as graphic novels. (The first one is MUCH better.) And I even liked the movie version, despite the changes from the comics.
SPOILER

I like the movie Hyde much better, and Skynner ALOT more (the invisible man in the movie), to tell the truth. And... well I hate the fact they kill almost everyone in the second series. *Grumps*
AAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDD this rant's done.
spyderalien
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by spyderalien »

so GURPS and Iron Kingdoms are pretty much the best steampunk RPGs excluding DragonMech?
spyderalien
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by spyderalien »

And does the new D20 past have any steampunk stuff in it?
spyderalien
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by spyderalien »

and does anybody know about Sorcery and Steam Ogl Steampunk?
MagusRogue
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by MagusRogue »

sorcery and steam, while a good book, has no true steampunk creation rules in it. It's just got devices.
AAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDD this rant's done.
spyderalien
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by spyderalien »

okay, but do IK & GURPS have steampunk creatures?
spyderalien
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by spyderalien »

err...steambots/steamborgs?

Return to “DragonMech”