My DragonMech Campaign

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

My DragonMech Campaign

Post by mythfish »

Since there hasn't been a post here in a while, you get to hear about the campaign I'm running whether you want to or not. I started off using The Shardsfall Quest, and you can read about my players' misadventures with that in this thread.

After completing the Shardsfall Quest, the characters made their way back to Nedderpik where they ended up spending several weeks. During that time they did various things, like hunt down some hard to find things to buy, chat with Old Iron Arms some more, and repair the loaner mech. I tend to run a pretty unstructured campaign, letting the players decide what they want to do without railroading them too much, but to help them along I gave them a handout of "conversations overheard on Nedderpik" (you can look at the actual document I gave them here). Several of them came from the Rumors & Lies book, a couple from the Mech Manual, and a few of my own invention. I cut them apart and gave each character a couple of them, letting them decide if they wanted to find out more or not.

Meanwhile, the elven druid met another elf on Nedderpik, an elderly elven woman named Shilarie who acts as sort of a self-appointed ambassador of nature. She owns a small room in which she manages to grow a number of herbs and other plants, attempting to teach people the joys of nature and provide a sort of getaway for those who already appreciate nature's charms but are stuck on a dwarven citymech. It turns out that Nedderpik was due to be passing near what remains of a once-mighty wood, and she asked that he retrieve some herbs for her.

So the characters go out into the woods with their mech (parking the mech on the edge of the woods, so as not to crush more trees), and in the process stumble upon a lair of bears who have been lunar-templated ("Aw crap," said the wizard, "that was the rumor I didn't follow up on.") They defeat the bears, get the herbs, board the mech just in time to be attacked by a couple lunar drakes. They defeat the drakes, and only the dwarf warrior is seriously injured because, well, he got out of the mech and tried to fight them.

Once back on Nedderpik, they continue looking into the rumors. After finding out that the lost city of Platia and the uncovered temple are in the Boundary Peaks area, they decide to set out for that area even though it's an awfully long ways away.

I let them get to the boundary peaks with only one notable incident. Along the way they come across an abandoned mech. Well, not quite abandoned. The people are still in it, they just happen to all be dead. Closer inspection reveals that they've all been drowned, and after hearing the rumor of the drowned village back on Nedderpik, the players are VERY nervous. But they salvage what they can manage without anything terrible happening to them (laying some groundwork for something I'm going to do in the future).

They manage to find the uncovered temple, which turns out to actually be an ancient dwarven crypt. The lunar meteor brought with it several lunar spiders (from Rumors and Lies) who decided to inhabit the newly exposed crypt. Coincidentally, around the same time the crypt was discovered by some derro, who used their tame delver to burrow up into the crypt with the intention of looting it. But they found lunar spiders instead, and the delver along with a dozen or so derro were killed. The remaining derro locked themselves inside the main crypt area where they tried to decide what to do. And this is the situation when the players arrive.

More as it happens, whether you want it or not. If you want more details, character stats, more background, you have but to ask.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Thanks for posting. I enjoy hearing about other peoples' campaigns. I'm glad you're integrating the material from Rumors & Lies, too.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com

Return to “DragonMech”