The antfolk

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

Nero's Boot
Far-Sighted Wanderer

The antfolk

Post by Nero's Boot »

Last night, an idea hit me for a lunar race, and it's an odd one, at that. The antfolk are a race of Fine-sized ant-like humanoids with the Swarm and Lunar subtypes. They're fierce warriors, who desire only to expand their colonies, mindlessly consuming natural resources, heedless of the cost to themselves or the land. They'd be powerful, yet limited in intellect. They worship Azathothinofirzat, lunar god of swarms and gluttony.

When swarms get too big, the antfolk turn on each other in a gluttonous feast of self-cannibalism. They even eat their own wounded! By eating without regard to maintaining a food supply, the antfolk gain magical powers that aid them in battle, their secondary source of culture (after eating).

--by tomorrow, I ought to have a Monster Manual-style antfolk entry up and running NB
Commala-come-come,
The battle's now begun,
And all the foes of men and rose
Rise with the setting sun.
Nero's Boot
Far-Sighted Wanderer

The antfolk revealed

Post by Nero's Boot »

ANTFOLK
Fine Humanoid (Lunar, Swarm)
Hit Dice: 2d8-1 (7)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 40ft
Armor Class: 23 (+8 size, +5 Dexterity)
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/-
Attack: Swarm (1d6)
Full Attack: Swarm (1d6)
Space/Reach: 0/0
Special Attacks: Distraction (DC 10)
Special Qualities: Lunar qualities, scent, swarm qualities
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +11, Will +0
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 20, Con 9, Int 6, Wis 6, Chr 6
Skills: Climb +2*, Disable Device +2*, Intimidate +2, Open Locks +2*
(*=racial bonus)
Feats: Lightning Reflexes
Environment: Any land and underground
Organization: Solitary, war-swarm (2-4 swarms), conquest-swarm (6-8 swarms), god-swarm (10-12 swarms)
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral evil
DESCRIPTION
The lunar antfolk are a race of pests from the moon, that have become a true menace on Highpoint. Worshippers of the lunar god of gluttony (named Azathothinofirzar, He-who-makes-the-swarm-fly), they march as one tiny army, consuming everything in their path.
COMBAT
Lunar antfolk are not fearsome by themselves; rather, it is when more than one swarm merges up, and utilizes the fearsome feats that only lunar antfolk can gain, that they become truly horrid and dreaded.

--next, I'll stat up the antfolk as a PC race, using Savage Species NB
Commala-come-come,
The battle's now begun,
Nero's Boot
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Nero's Boot »

A note about the antfolk's racial skill bonuses: These things are HUNGRY, perpetually hungry. To stop eating is the same to them as to stop living. As a result, they have gotten very, very good at bypassing locks, traps, and other obstacles to getting to the food they need so badly.

--and like all ants, they can climb well, too NB
Commala-come-come,
The battle's now begun,
spyderalien
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by spyderalien »

thats a good one, you seem to be pretty good at making that kind of stuff (I couldn't do it if my life depended on it (I've been trying to make 2 templates, a steamborg, and a full machine template)
walrusjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by walrusjester »

I'd like to see some of the fearsome feats you mention. It's a fine writeup, but to be honest, it doesn't have the creepy asymmetrical quasi-Cthulhu edge I'd want from a lunar creature. It's just a swarm, although a clever one that can open locks and disable devices.
Nero's Boot
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Nero's Boot »

walrusjester wrote:I'd like to see some of the fearsome feats you mention. It's a fine writeup, but to be honest, it doesn't have the creepy asymmetrical quasi-Cthulhu edge I'd want from a lunar creature. It's just a swarm, although a clever one that can open locks and disable devices.
Sorry about the long delay, but I've been hanging out at a friend's trailer rather much these last few weeks.

--I'll hop onto these antfolk feats in but a little while NB
Commala-come-come,
The battle's now begun,

Return to “DragonMech”