What I'd Like To Play

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

Arek
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

What I'd Like To Play

Post by Arek »

Here's a list of characters and concepts I'd like to play around with. Feel free to post your own...

-Halfling Mech Jockey with a suped-up Large steam-powered mech
-Chainmuscle
-Clockborg
-Dwarf Coglayer. Named Glod Glodsson (I know one of the players in Destiny of Steam and Steel played a dwarf named Glod. I'm sure we both got the name from being Discworld readers).

Steampower combos/mechs I'd like to play with:
-A huge Cold-cannon made by making a very big Cold Generator, a Pump, billows, and then loading it with amplifiers until you have a weapon that can freeze large chunks of the moon (and lunar creatures aren't resistent to cold damage)
-A steamborg with four arms, only two of which are natural. Possibly getting a bump up to large size, possibly using Giant Arms and an Integrator.
-One of the various energy blade combos I came up with on the Steampower Combination boards.
-A rolling mech that's essentially a very big van. Lose out weaponry and the ability to climb/jump/tumble, in exchange for going very fast and traveling in moderate comfort.
Laughingcarp
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Laughingcarp »

-Johnny Ohm, from Marvel: Nemesis. Most likely through steamborg/ardent. More or less a walking lightning storm.
-Sexy half-demon (through feats) coglayer, running around with fire resistance and a flamethrower. Normally I would't play this kinda thing up, but couldn't resist :wink:
-Orc shaman (Totemist/Warlock) adapting to life on a steam-mech (not an orc mech)
-Sniper, riding on the exterior of a mech. Dwarven? Using an amplified steam gun, with at least one level of coglayer for all the (very necessary) upgrades
-Seagull: A flying mech, inspired by the song Seagull by Bad Company (http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/bad_c ... agull.html). Scavenging from the landbound, just barely scraping by. A small group (family? close knit friends?) lives in it.
...Definitely not a Firefly ripoff.
The only difference between a mage and a young boy’s pockets is that you’ll find more candy in the child’s
-someone not me
Arek
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Arek »

Looking over psionics due to the Firefly debate going on, I'd have to say it'd be fun to play with:

-Psychic Warrior
-Elocator
-Dromites

I'll definitely keep these in mind the next time I'm offered a game to play in...
Oaksoul Elite
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Oaksoul Elite »

Arek wrote:Looking over psionics due to the Firefly debate going on, I'd have to say it'd be fun to play with:

-Psychic Warrior
-Elocator
-Dromites

I'll definitely keep these in mind the next time I'm offered a game to play in...
If you want to go dromite, you could use the latest explanation from Psionics in Dragonmech. They're a servitor race from the moon now seeking emancipation. They're split rather 50/50 as to whether they view Highpoint's races as potential allies or competition. Strangely, they're not actually native to the moon. Back when Athuraz first roamed the moon and predicted the lunar rain, he accidentally brought with him some terrestrial contaminants. Ants on his sandwich and the like. As the first sludges on the moon evolved into its current denizens, so too did the terrestrial stowaways adapt to lunar life. Over time, they became naturalized denizens of the moon, but they still stood apart as not being completely lunar (being composed of the earthly elements and not the close lunar equivalents). This marked them as pariahs and they became little more than a servitor race.

I'd really like to play a Hereal ranger at some point. Also, a necromancer/druid. He still reveres nature and works to preserve it, but nature is too badly wounded by the lunar rain to be fighting back. The other druids foolishly push her on, possibly past her breaking point. No, he'll fight with the one force that has truly grown in power with the lunar rain: death.

Also, a psion of some kind who uses alternate fluff for several powers. Minor creation and similar powers are flashes of MacGuyver-ing insight. Similarly, energy ray and other powers like that represent him manipulating little things to engineer the disaster - a few magnifying lenses and mirrors for a fire ray, a primitive speaker and an overworked engine for a sonic stun, etc. He'd be real fun to play.

A binder who serves host for all sorts of spirits pressed into service against the lunar gods who have defected.

A steamborg who turns to the path of the steam monster in fear of losing himself, but is then horrified of his turning feral, so eventually he finds the path of the unborg.
Last edited by Oaksoul Elite on Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am Omnirahk, half-Rahkshi ("Omni") of the WotC forums. I consider "Psionics in DragonMech" (see my website) my greatest contribution to anything d20 so far. At least, it's my most successful topic.
Arek
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Arek »

Oaksoul Elite wrote:
Arek wrote:Looking over psionics due to the Firefly debate going on, I'd have to say it'd be fun to play with:

-Psychic Warrior
-Elocator
-Dromites

If you want to go dromite, you could use the latest explanation from Psionics in Dragonmech. They're a servitor race from the moon now seeking emancipation. They're split rather 50/50 as to whether they view Highpoint's races as potential allies or competition. Strangely, they're not actually native to the moon. Back when Athuraz first roamed the moon and predicted the lunar rain, he accidentally brought with him some terrestrial contaminants. Ants on his sandwich and the like. As the first sludges on the moon evolved into its current denizens, so too did the terrestrial stowaways adapt to lunar life. Over time, they became naturalized denizens of the moon, but they still stood apart as not being completely lunar (being composed of the earthly elements and not the close lunar equivalents). This marked them as pariahs and they became little more than a servitor race.

I'd really like to play a Hereal ranger at some point. Also, a necromancer/druid. He still reveres nature and works to preserve it, but nature is too badly wounded by the lunar rain to be fighting back. The other druids foolishly push her on, possibly past her breaking point. No, he'll fight with the one force that has truly grown in power with the lunar rain: death.

Also, a psion of some kind who uses alternate fluff for several powers. Minor creation and similar powers are flashes of MacGuyver-ing insight. Similarly, energy ray and other powers like that represent him manipulating little things to engineer the disaster - a few magnifying lenses and mirrors for a fire ray, a primitive speaker and an overworked engine for a sonic stun, etc. He'd be real fun to play.

A binder who serves host for all sorts of spirits pressed into service against the lunar gods who have defected.

A steamborg who turns to the path of the steam monster in fear of losing himself, but is then horrified of his turning feral, so eventually he finds the path of the unborg.[/url]
Hah. The famed charred forest of the L'arile Nation.

I once contemplated a story about a diverse crew living on a mech, and come to be in need of some coal as they traveled through the L'arile nation. And the coglayer realizes the dead trees around them make a low-grade but serviceable charcoal because of the nightly exposure to the burning sandclouds (at the least) cooking them a little bit over a period of year. And this kicks off an almighty row with the druid, who eventually concedes that as long as they do so with respect and gratitude, and constantly work to help solve the world's larger problems, then it's morally acceptable to harvest a few trees for the coal they need to power their smaller mechs.

As for the Dromites, that's certainly an interesting idea.

According to the P.i.D. thread, Thri-keen are dwellers of the wet desert, right? Personally, I'd like to see them have a small hive-city on the mountains in the borderlands of the desert, maybe as a sort of trading post and their racial and spiritual home.
Oaksoul Elite
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Oaksoul Elite »

Sure, they can have a hive-city in the mountains. Although thri-kreen strike me as more the nomadic tribes sort than the city-hive builders. Traditional dromites seem better suited for that angle.
I am Omnirahk, half-Rahkshi ("Omni") of the WotC forums. I consider "Psionics in DragonMech" (see my website) my greatest contribution to anything d20 so far. At least, it's my most successful topic.
Arek
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Arek »

Oaksoul Elite wrote:Sure, they can have a hive-city in the mountains. Although thri-kreen strike me as more the nomadic tribes sort than the city-hive builders. Traditional dromites seem better suited for that angle.
My logic is they must have some place that's important to them, and, well, imagine the architecture. For one thing, this is a place that's inhabited by creatures with a +30 to jump checks. Just getting around inside will be a problem for other race.

And the other races *do* have an incentive for coming to them, once they discover the possibility of a 4-armed mech jockey who's coordinated enough to sort out all of them.

Heck, it's for that reason that I think Halflings have yet to truly discover their place in the world. They're set up to be good natural pilots because of the Dex bonus, and their small size means a single halfing can fit into a 10-foot-tall personal mech with some degree of comfort, meaning they can stay in small mechs much longer than a human can without going crazy or getting rubbed bloody. The mechdoms really have an untapped resource here.

Edit: If the xenophobia eases up in the Legion, even they could be interested in the halflings. After all, if you enlarge a halfling, you pretty much get a human who's good at throwing stuff. The Legion could try to claim some kind of kinship, and that ruling could be motivated by the advantages halflings have as mech pilots.

Return to “DragonMech”