Mech Manual, Rumors & Lies

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

IronWolf

Mech Manual, Rumors & Lies

Post by IronWolf »

I just picked up both of these books and I think they are awesome. the artwork is great. I'll soon be dumping my Viper mech for a Warsmith :D , the rest of my group has gotten tired of me sticking with the Viper so this will be a Great surpise and also give us a hanger to get everyone in one mech finally. Keep them coming, can't wait for The Second Age of Walkers to come out.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

I just got the Mech Manual this evening also, and I'm pretty happy. Not all the way through it, but so far I particularly like the elven mechs, the undead mechs, new lunar creatures, and the oil nymph. While I like Joseph's generic gods approach in theory, I'm very happy to have an official dwarven pantheon to work with (presented in the Iron Choir description). "Gore Dog" is the coolest name for a mech ever.

However (I hold my roleplaying products to very high standards, so there's always a however), I don't really care for the Japanese flavor being given to the Irontooth clans. It makes the Irontooth a lot less interesting to me. I think it's terribly cliched for "honorable warriors" cultures to be Japan-ized.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Interesting comments on the Irontooth. They get explained more thoroughly in Second Age of Walkers. There are a lot of Irontooth clans (more than 50), and although they share some common threads, they're still widely varied. Some are crooks, others are heroes; some are barbarians, others are sophisticates. Second Age of Walkers tries to show them in all their varied glory a bit more. Hopefully it will win you over. :)

But the art in Second Age still doesn't quite capture the Irontooth. At least that's what I think now that I've seen the art that's coming in for Steam Warriors! Steam Warriors is the character sourcebook for steam-focused PCs (scheduled for June), and there's some *great* material in there -- including some awesome art that finally really, truly captures what the Irontooth should look like.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com

Post by Guest »

Any chance of some art spoilers for those books then?

Alas my gaming store has yet to receive The Mech manual and my Amazon.com searching turns up but a black hole of incompetence on thier part.....sigh

I Personally like a little japanese in my mechs. Maybe it's just the escalfowne lover in me or maybe it's the fact I've recently discovered LO5R but SOME japanese flavor is certainly called for in a fantasy mech game.
IronWolf

Post by IronWolf »

Plus if you really stop and think about it you can't really base a monk off of anything but the Asian monks, sure there were European monks, but they were only famous for copying bibles and wine-making and beer-making. So I think the Asian sounding names for the Irontooth mechs are very appropriate.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Anonymous wrote:Any chance of some art spoilers for those books then?
Sure thing... you can see a preview of the Mech Manual here:

http://www.goodmangames.com/WW17602preview.php

...and I'll be posting some more details on 2nd Age of Walkers later this week.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com

Return to “DragonMech”