DragonMech: Rumors & Lies from Ronin Arts

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

DragonMech: Rumors & Lies from Ronin Arts

Post by goodmangames »

Hi everyone,

We're very pleased to announce that Ronin Arts has entered an agreement to produce licensed DragonMech sourcebooks. Their first product is Rumors & Lies, a sourcebook offering new rules, mechs, and monsters written for use as adventure seeds or "background chatter" to help a campaign come to life. I've read it and personally I enjoyed it; the authors did a good job of expanding some aspects of the DragonMech world (including some interesting examination of the lunar energy type).

Rumors & Lies is available from both DriveThruRPG.com and www.RPGnow.com.

I'd be interested in hearing what you guys think when you have a chance to take a look at it.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Philip Reed

Post by Philip Reed »

I'm definitely interested in feedback on this one. We had a lot of fun writing Rumors & Lies (and I think it shows) and we hope that DMs will find the material useful. We've also started planning our next DragonMech PDF -- which should include more adventure-type material.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

I downloaded it tonight, and while I've only skimmed through it, I do like most of the things I see in it so far. While it looks very nice and I'm sure I'll use at least some of it in my campaign, I have to ask: why the high price tag? $8.95 seems a bit steep for 27 pages of content in PDF format. The Shardsfall Quest, for example, has more than twice as much content for less than twice the price, and it comes as a physical book. $8.95 doesn't seem unreasonable to me for a physical book of that length, but for a PDF? I wouldn't have even considered it if I weren't so desperate for new DragonMech material right now. :)

Post by Guest »

The higher price is to cover the increased production costs and niche market. Unlike a lot of PDFs that we produce, this one is very focused.

If sales are higher than anticipated then we'll have a lower cost on the next release. But, for now, we need to price it at $8.95 in order to make it worth the investment in time.

Additionally, if this were print it would likely be $11.95. That makes this 25% off of the print price which places it nicely into DTRPG's stated sales target.

Hopefully you'll enjoy the work and eventually forget the price tag. :)
Philip Reed

Post by Philip Reed »

Sorry, the above was me. I really should create an account since we're producing DragonMech PDFs now.
gospog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by gospog »

Speaking for everyone who is me, I have been dying for new DragonMech stuff and Phil Reed does quality work.

This PDF is going on my "to buy" list. And I think $9.00 is cheaper than buying a "generic" D&D supplement and having to give it the "DragonMech treatment".

I will pay for the time saved, with a smile on my face. ;)
(And like I said, Ronin Arts stuff is usually well done)

If these PDFs are going to be a "regular thing", it may be just what I need to kick me in the butt and run DragonMech more often. My first few games went over very well with the players, but I am short of free time lately. I will pay to have the work done for me.

OK, I am done rambling for now.

-Tom
"Gazelle carcass!"
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Anonymous wrote: Additionally, if this were print it would likely be $11.95. That makes this 25% off of the print price which places it nicely into DTRPG's stated sales target.
I still like print far better than electronic formats, and I think I would have rather paid $11.95 and got it in print. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Still, that is my only complaint with it. Except the tyrannosaurus mech is kind of silly. Okay, those are my only two complaints. :lol: I don't want you to think I didn't like it or anything... the material is top notch. Good job.
Philip Reed

Post by Philip Reed »

mythfish wrote:Still, that is my only complaint with it. Except the tyrannosaurus mech is kind of silly. Okay, those are my only two complaints. :lol: I don't want you to think I didn't like it or anything... the material is top notch. Good job.
Thanks. We tried to help build the setting without making any problems for DMs. As to the mech, wait until you see the Mech Manual -- there are some fun mech designs in there.
BradfordFerguson
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by BradfordFerguson »

I would buy it if it were priced more reasonably. Most print products sell for around 20 cents a page and that's really my upper limit for PDFs. So 27 pages x 20 cents a page = $5.40 is what I would pay.
Sword Guy
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Sword Guy »

I like it. I'm a little disappointed that I can't get this in print (I like actual color printing and double-sided paper) but I think this was a good buy. Besides, if it did become a printed book, it would probably come out in June. :wink:

I do greatly appreciate the fact that all of the rules were presented after the rumor. That way, if I choose to alter the rumor, I can still be sure that the rules are the same. I am planning to use a majority of these, particularly the "lunar energy" idea.

I only have one small nitpick: Lunar breath energy is white flame-ish, not black lightning. Come on, I've got to find something about the content that I didn't like.
DragonMech DM soon, with any luck.

Owner of all DragonMech books, Etherscope core book, and DCC 12.5: Iron Crypt of the Heretics.
Philip Reed

Post by Philip Reed »

Sword Guy wrote:I do greatly appreciate the fact that all of the rules were presented after the rumor. That way, if I choose to alter the rumor, I can still be sure that the rules are the same. I am planning to use a majority of these, particularly the "lunar energy" idea.
No problem. We went back and forth on organization a few times but I'm happy with our final decision.

Sword Guy wrote:I only have one small nitpick: Lunar breath energy is white flame-ish, not black lightning. Come on, I've got to find something about the content that I didn't like.
:) If that's your one complaint I think we did pretty good. We'll try and do a better job on the next one.
mmatijevic

Post by mmatijevic »

Will this ever be printed ? or is it PDF only ???
mmatijevic

Post by mmatijevic »

Will this ever be printed ? or is it PDF only ???

Post by Guest »

mmatijevic wrote:Will this ever be printed ? or is it PDF only ???
I won't say "never" but only because there's no way to know what could happen in the future. At this moment, there are no plans to print this -- or any other -- DragonMech PDF released by Ronin Arts.
MagusRogue
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by MagusRogue »

i got it, and I have to say, sweeeeeeeet. *Grins* i like the living mech hook thing, and the lunar drakes.
AAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDD this rant's done.
Philip Reed

Post by Philip Reed »

MagusRogue wrote:i got it, and I have to say, sweeeeeeeet. *Grins* i like the living mech hook thing, and the lunar drakes.
Thanks. We've been working on the outline for the next DragonMech PDF and it looks like it will be somewhere around 60 pages. We'll try to make sure it's as enjoyable as Rumors & Lies.
gospog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by gospog »

Just wanted to check back in now that I've bought a copy and am reading through it.

This is good stuff.

I don't know much about page count but I think the price is fair for how much of this I'm going to be able to use (a lot of it)!

More, please!

-Tom
"Gazelle carcass!"

Post by Guest »

For the weekend Rumors & Lies is 20% off at both DTRPG and RPGNow. That's almost $2 off.
Philip Reed

Post by Philip Reed »

gospog wrote:I don't know much about page count but I think the price is fair for how much of this I'm going to be able to use (a lot of it)!

More, please!
Thank you. We're working on more.

Return to “DragonMech”