A game on rpol

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

MagusRogue
Wild-Eyed Zealot

A game on rpol

Post by MagusRogue »

hey guys, sometime soon I might be putting a dragonmech game up on RPOL (a play-by-post game host site). I might be doing some weird things in it, and also plan on working it into a novel sometime.

who all here would be interested in participating in a pbp game?
AAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDD this rant's done.
Sword Guy
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Sword Guy »

I will! Any hints on where we're starting from, particular feats that are disallowed or allowed. or any stuff like that?

*scrambles off to develop the character concepts in his head* This is going to be so cool!
DragonMech DM soon, with any luck.

Owner of all DragonMech books, Etherscope core book, and DCC 12.5: Iron Crypt of the Heretics.
MagusRogue
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by MagusRogue »

okies, umm, for the most part I allow things from the core rules and DragonMech books (duh), and also will approve items taken from the Complete and Races books, even the new core classes and racial substitutions if i like how you're using them. New races means I'll have to adapt them to Highpoint, but otherwise i don't mind.
Also, an idea i've been tinkering with, I allow Warforged, Shifters, and Changelings from Eberron/Monster Manual III, if you so desire to play them. If anyone does, I'll detail their history and motives in Highpoint. Warforged are going to be an important detail in this game though.
I don't know if I'm gonna allow Psionics or not; that's up to what you wanna play. If i do, Kalasthar and the new races in the XHB will be allowed as well.
I might allow Slathen as well, though I'll have to tinker with this so that I can make sure they're a pc-balanced race, as Joseph hasn't given out racial traits for them yet. The lizardmen from the west are another race I'm working on, and MIGHT allow.
Oh, and RP is going to be essential in this game. I put my games around a mix of 60% character interaction, and 40% dungeon crawling and fighting. Just how I run games. :-)

any other questions?
MagusRogue
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by MagusRogue »

*grins* you know, it would be real wiz if we got someone like, say... Joseph, to play with us? *wiggles brows* wouldn't you guys agree? hehehe. :twisted:
Sword Guy
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Sword Guy »

I second the motion.

Thanks for outlining the various rules allowed and disallowed. I warn you, I will be asking you a lot of additional rules questions as we get closer to playing. I'm weird like that. See my sig.

Another question I have: Are we going to be doing combat where mechs could be involved? I know a lot of GMs who would say yes to the whole mech idea, except that I can't fit them into the dungeons.

As for the roleplaying amounts, that seems to be just my style anyway. So this is sounding better and better.
DragonMech DM soon, with any luck.

Owner of all DragonMech books, Etherscope core book, and DCC 12.5: Iron Crypt of the Heretics.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

So...play by post means players wouldn't necessarily all have to be online at the same time and the games could be played in a "five minutes here, five minutes there" fashion, yes? If that's the case, count me in.
Ken Hart
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Ken Hart »

Yes. I've played on RPOL before, and it's pretty good. You add posts to threads (bulletin board style), so you don't need to all be online at the same time. Usually, the GM sends out a post then sets a time period for players to respond, say, every day, every other day, twice a week, etc., so that'll be up to MagusRogue. You can send private messages to the GM and other players, too.

Normally, I'd love to play, but my free time is maxed out right now. Good luck! If you have openings for new PCs in a few months, though, please give a yell. :-)
MagusRogue
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by MagusRogue »

basically, my main rules are simple three rules:

1) Post at least once a day. This is ESPECIALLY important for combat. I don't want one round to last two weeks (that's happened to me more times than I can count).

2) No godmodding. You aren't the dm, so unless I say otherwise, don't assume someone else will do something. Let me control npcs (again, unless I say it's ok), and let others player their characters. Giving tips and helping out is always appropriete, however.

3) Let others get a word in. Try to be courtious to other players. Some people post slower than others; remember they're still there. There's nothing more irritating than posting once, then coming back a few hours or a day later and find out you've been forgotten in a flood of other posts. It's one of my personal pet peeves.

Follow these three rules, and we'll have all sorts of fun. And of course, Ken, I'll definately keep a spot or two open for you, if you ever find time. *Grins* I'm cool like that.

Here's the website and the game itself that we'll be playing on. Feel free to contact me here, at rpol (through a Request to Join), or over AIM. Sword Guy already has contacted me. *Grins*

Click Me for the Game
Last edited by MagusRogue on Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MagusRogue
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by MagusRogue »

oh and there;s one character I'm making myself, that I'm going to allow a pc to choose. It's going to be a warforged that some dwarves have mined. The warforged himself is practically an artifact, a reminant left over from the First Age of Walkers. VERY contraversial character. Should be a blast for someone to play. If no one wants this character, I'll npc him. He's insanely important to the plot, however.
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

i'd love to play

i was going to play in something similar that was getting started on another forum concerning DragonMech, but pretty much everyone involved stopped responding :\
Namfoodle "Sparklediver" Raulnor
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
MagusRogue
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by MagusRogue »

feel free to visit the site, make an id, and get a character to me. the warforged slot's still open... might have to broadcast in rpol too...
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

well, i'll visit the site and poke around tomorrow (well, later today, it's 2:30am and i should be sleeping ;) )

i don't think i should play the warforged, though... i havn't got the eberron source book (and don't plan to) and i know little to nothing about them

i'll look through my books and see what sort of characters i'd like to play (i've been wanting to play a druid lately, actually, but i may end up destroying the party with my roleplaying if i did :twisted: )
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
MagusRogue
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by MagusRogue »

I've added the character sheet for the Warforged that's part of the plot, for anyone who cares to check it out. It's a multiclass Steamborg/Barbarian. If you have ever played Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, you may reconize who he is modeled after. :twisted: He should be a fun character to interact with, at the least.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

How should the rest of us get our characters to you? I'm still kinda figuring out the RPOL stuff, so if I need to do something there let me know.
MagusRogue
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by MagusRogue »

just send your character sheet in through a private message to me on rpol. It's not too hard to figure out. just like any other forum.
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

uh, just now created an RPoL ID so i could log in etc...

^_^'

i'll reply more over there
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
MagusRogue
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by MagusRogue »

alright, for everyone else's perusal, we got almost everyone up and running. So far, we have the following:

Lafith, an elan druid seeking to find his place in this world with the curse of psionics.
Piston, a relic of a past long lost, a warforged barbarian/steamborg.
Nosh, a half-orc stalker whose in the trade for 'obtaining' and selling parts, and completely rejects the waste that is orcish life.
Haffer, human mech jockey, owner of the magwagon they're in. He's struck out a decent life as a cargo-hauler, but aspires to much hgiher greatness.

we also got a warlock in the works, as well as a female who shall be using an art long forbidden (Even moreso than warlock's fiendish powers; played by Sword Guy of these forums).

It's going to be a fun game.
Quetzi
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Quetzi »

This is amusing. I just found this forum a couple of days ago, and it appears my entire RPOL Dragonmech group is already here.

I'm the warlock by the way.
I don't really have anything to say. And everything I do have to say is lies.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Heh. Hello!
MagusRogue
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by MagusRogue »

where you think i found half of them? *Grins*

Return to “DragonMech”