Steam Mage Devices

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

Sword Guy
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Steam Mage Devices

Post by Sword Guy »

Okay, so what kind of steam power/magic item combinations have you found that are fun for steam mages to use? Any ideas?

Beam Cannon: wand of lightning bolt + amplifier + amplifier + amplifier + amplifier etc. etc.
DragonMech DM soon, with any luck.

Owner of all DragonMech books, Etherscope core book, and DCC 12.5: Iron Crypt of the Heretics.
Antman
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Steam Mage

Post by Antman »

sounds sweet, pretty much a steam powered laser cannon
There is no problem in life that cannot be solved with the use of high explosives.
Sword Guy
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Sword Guy »

Yep. I would have done the same kind of thing using a wand of scorching ray, but I found no such item in the DMG. Does anyone else think that's a bit odd?

As for the Beam Cannon, here's the stats:

wand of lightning bolt, caster level 8th
+ 5 amplifiers
=
Reflex DC increased by 10,
Damage upped to 16d20
Range: 720 feet

Bwahahahaha :evil:

Owner of all DragonMech books, Etherscope core book, and DCC 12.5: Iron Crypt of the Heretics.
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

and we will mount it on the moon and hold the world's capitals hostage for.... 1 MILLION dollars *laughs manaically*

i bet there's no wand of scorching ray because wands can't be made until you're casting 3rd level spells anyway... (hey, the rules for constructing wands allow any spell up to level 4, just make one and amplify it ^_^)
Namfoodle "Sparklediver" Raulnor
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
cssmythe3
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by cssmythe3 »

Reese wrote:and we will mount it on the moon and hold the world's capitals hostage for.... 1 MILLION dollars *laughs manaically*
Bwa-a-ahahahah!

I needed that laugh...
-Chuck Smith
Antman
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Antman »

No more of those funny looking mushrooms from the gear forest for you two!
There is no problem in life that cannot be solved with the use of high explosives.
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

mmmm... gear forest mushrooms, they're petrochemically delicious :D
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
abe
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by abe »

how would you create a space suttle(a space steamer)?
Antman
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Antman »

Eat enough of the mushrooms from the gear forest and you'll think you're in space, just don't try to smoke them, I'm still trying to grow my eyebrows back from the explosion.
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

abe wrote:how would you create a space suttle(a space steamer)?
hmm... good question, and that deserves a good answer

befire i even start to figure something like that out, i need to know the kind of space you're planning on "sailing"

if your D&D world has air between the stars, i think a fairly simple prop-based system (large rotor arms with boilers and such) could be implemented, and you'd end up with something like a Final Fantasy air-ship

if, on the other hand, your universe is a more scientifically based world, i would say that steam power would be incapable of producing a ship capable of exra-atmospheric flight, becasue the lack of oxygen would suffocate either the engine, or the crew (burning coal in a sealed environment is a big no-no)

now, i can imagine lots of varients on a steam rocket that would be pretty useful, and using something like magic to renew the air and heat the water for steam would be good, but you'd have to carry a LOT of water, since the rocket would essentially be shooting water out it's back end to produce its motive force

anyway, back to the steam rotor idea...

if you're planning on a space ship that moves only by flying, then you can drop a lot of weight (and cost in iron) by leaving out the legs, likewise if you don't arm it (atleast, not heavily) figure, a mech-air-ship would weigh 1/10 to 3/10 less than a comparably sized combat mech

ok, let's say you're making a large-sized mech-ship, for comparison purposes

weight = 3000 * 7/10 = 2100 lbs

figure another 900 to account for weight of fuel, pilot, passengers, any weaponry

you'll need lift for 3000 lbs to get it air-borne

now, a standard rotor arm can lift 40lb at 40 feet per round

so... to lift 3000 lbs at 40 feet per round, you'd need approximately... 75 steam powers for rotor arms, boilers, etc

obviously, this isn't practical; i'm sure you could gear a rotor arm to lift more weight at a slower speed

the only real limitation is how much you weigh and how much fuel you can bring along
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
Sword Guy
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Sword Guy »

Okay, so you get Smiggenbopper's Perambulatory Badger, load its cargo bays up with those gear forest fungi, and store the pieces to make a Viper in it, and what do you get?

Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

Sword Guy wrote:Okay, so you get Smiggenbopper's Perambulatory Badger, load its cargo bays up with those gear forest fungi, and store the pieces to make a Viper in it, and what do you get?
probably something like this:

http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/

dang, i really need to get my hands on the mech manual, i wish the bookstores near me carried it ;_;
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
Karasu
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Karasu »

Eversmoking Bottle+switch+Metal Ear.

Voice activated Smokescreen. Add a nozzle and you can send it in a direction rather than spreading out from the centre.

Karasu
abe
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by abe »

boots of speed+x7 ampilifiers=zoom boots
these boots allow you to exceed the speed of sound!
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

amplifiers wouldn't work on boots of speed

the output from boots of speed is work, not energy (a fly wheel would be most appropriate, or possibly a boiler)

you can't use amplifiers on anything that doesn't either produce a type of energy (ie: energy damage or light)

on a completely different note, i think it would be interesting to see a gnome inventor (Forgoten Realms setting PrC) / coglayer, because a gnome inventor makes equivalencies of magic devices using technology, and a coglayer does something simaler... too bad forgoten realms isn't "open source", so combining them can never be official ^_^'
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
abe
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by abe »

wand of healing+x7 amplifiers=wand of ubber healing & ubber turning
usefull for all sorts of undead slayying delight!
Karasu
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Karasu »

Decanter of Eternal Water + Clockwork Puppet + clockwork puppet + discriminator + Scanner (Set to Fire) + Noisemaker (to give command word)

Mobile fire suppresion device!

Or remove the clockwork puppets, change the scanner and you have a way of keeping your boiler constantly full, even in the desert!
abe
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by abe »

decantur of endless water+blaster+puppet x 3=squirt gun of vamipiric death!

Return to “DragonMech”