Converting animated mechs to mainstream D&D artificers.

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

JasperDM
Gongfarmer

Converting animated mechs to mainstream D&D artificers.

Post by JasperDM »

Alright, I am playing in a baseline D&D game of epic level. My artificer has Create Construct, Create Epic Wondrous Item, Create Magical Mech and a variety of meta-artifice feats.

I was wondering, as for function, how an animated city-mech acts under command of its creator. If it helps, it's an animated city-mech F, made of reinforced obdurium (created using the same methods as creating adamantine golems, build from stone or iron(in my case stone), and polymorph any object). I have yet to use the intelligent item options, or the Awaken Construct spell.

How much crew, what kind of checks, etc. are required for it? The more info the better.
Union citizenship. 7 Lyres of building. 24 levels of Eberron Artificer. Epic Leadership. Stronghold Builder's Guidbook. Enhanced-obdurium animated City-mech F.

For when you absolutely, positively MUSt rip off Alexander from Final Fantasy.
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

well, the book says you need 10% of PU in crew, but the crew function descriptions seem to be mainly administrative, not for maintainence purposes

i'd say that you could get away with one crew, but would be unable to fire weapons or do anything other than basic movement (and any sort of non-movement would require you to stop and concentrate on that...)

i'm not going to go into your construction teqniques, since the strongholdbuilder's guide and mech construction guidelines are rather different, and i ahve no idea what you did anyway

as for enchanting, there are guidelines for enchanting a mech

1) you need the combine spell feat
2) you need a sufficient number of spell slots (either by yourself or among multiple casters with the combine spell feat) to cast the spell a number of times based on terget size

in general, you can cast on something that is twice your size, and no more, every extra casting of the spell via "combine spell" increases the size catagory effected by one

assuming that you are a human caster, you could normally effect targets of up to large size

to effec a city mech F, you would need to cast the spell either 13 times or 4 times, depending on whether you could the different grades of colossal and city mech as size catagories (personally, i would, otherwise it breaks suspension of disbelief)

of course, if the awaken construct spell has any passage that allows for effecting larger targets, then you would need fewer castings

(btw, you only need to enchant the engine and make that intelegent to have the mech not need crew, it's listed under intelegent engines near the end of the equipment section)
Namfoodle "Sparklediver" Raulnor
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}

Return to “DragonMech”