Dragonmech Modules!

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

modus666
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Dragonmech Modules!

Post by modus666 »

I would like to use this thread to compile a list of Modules that might be especially suited for the Dragonmech Campaign setting. With only one worl-specific module out there (a good one i might add - currently running it) I'm sure fans of the game would like to know where to look to find apropriate modules. With that being said most of them will probably NOT involve mech-mech action, but would be especially apropriate for out-of-the-cockpit aventuring.

1) AGAINST THE IRON GIANT: this one practically screams "please run me in a dragonmech game'; the idea of an ancient construct rising up to terrorize the countryside and our low-level heroes venturing inside to stop it is classic dragonmech fare.

more to come... please post here if you know of any modules published that you feel are especially suited. good choices include underground adventures, political thrillers, and anything that involves mechanical or construct adversaries!
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

DCC #3: The Mysterious Tower was originally run in my DragonMech game. That's why the wizard's tower had a force field.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

I don't use many published adventures, so I don't know of any specifically that would be good as-is for DragonMech. With a little bit of work, though, you can convert a typical dungeon crawl into a DragonMech dungeon crawl. Start with the premise that the dungeon was created by a mad Gearwright, or is a strange ancient relic from the First Age of Walkers. The walls and doors are metal, instead of stone, with lots of inexplicable cables, gears and other doodads on them. Use the stats for monsters provided, but describe them to your players as clockwork critters. Substitute flamethower traps for fireball traps...you get the idea.

The DragonMech adventure I ran at GenCon this year was pretty much just a standard dungeon crawl with DragonMech flavoring. It's not necessarily the rules that make something DragonMech as much as the little details.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
Ken Hart
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Ken Hart »

I'd agree with that. Pretty much any module that deals with creatures, mysteries, artifacts, etc., from a previous age should be convertible to a DragonMech campaign. You can simply say that the "stuff' from the earlier age is from the days before the lunar rains or from the bygone First Age of Walkers - a time which is still considered mythical by many on Highpoint.

For instance, "Halls of the Minotaur" from DCC #35 was the launchpad of my DragonMech campaign earlier this year. I made some of the secret rooms and magic items more mech-oriented, and I added another secret area that suggests sinister religious activities, which could tie into the larger, planar battle over the future of Highpoint.

I followed that up with an adventure from Dungeon magazine, "Siege of the Spider Eaters," about a mysterious island off the coast. There's a giant hole in the middle of the island which isn't explained, but it just screamed "Lunar meteor!" to me. :)

Which DCCs or modules do have in mind, Modus? I'd be happy to bounce ideas back and forth about adapting them for DragonMech. (And yes, "Against the Iron Giant" rocks. I'm planning to use it for DragonMech, too!)
DCC, DragonMech, Etherscope editor
Writer: "Madness at the Mutilated Oak," DCC #48: The Adventure Continues;
DCC #52: Chronicle of the Fiend

"It really is the height of pessimism to have a hat lined with chain mail." --Mrs. Peel

Return to “DragonMech”