Cyn's Steamtech Armory

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

Sword Guy
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Cyn's Steamtech Armory

Post by Sword Guy »

Greetings to ye all. What? You mean you've never heard of Cyn's Steamtech Armory before? Ach, no matter. Just take a look around our shelves. Some of the things may be overpriced, but I guarentee ye'll find what ye need sooner or later.

Steambow: Ah, me best invention yet. I tell ye, those metal rangers kept using bows of stressed metal, even wood! The fools. I created this for a good friend of mine, who wanted a bit of extra punch and range to her arrows. It don't perform exactly like a wood bow, so no amount of training will help ye. But it be worth the extra time. I got a long version, and a short version.
Special Rules: Because of the increased strength and power generated by a steambow, it may only fire metal arrows. Also, a steambow is mostly metal, so a mithral steambow is possible, but a darkwood steambow is not.
Long Steambow: Two-Handed Ranged Exotic Weapon. Damage (S): 1d8, Damage (M): 1d10, x3, 150 ft, 6 lb, Piercing. 300 gp.
Short Steambow: Two-Handed Ranged Exotic Weapon. Damage (S): 1d6, Damage (M): 1d8, x3, 100 ft, 5 lb, Piercing. 250 gp.

Steam Rifle: Aye, this one needs a better name. But it sells decently now. I've talked to people, people who say that a traditional steam gun is fine for sniping work, but not for a regular fight. So, this one stalker came to me one day. I kept my mouth shut, ye know? He said he needed a specific custom job. Handed me a list of blueprints and walked away. So I built it. He came back that night, looked at what I'd done, and dumped enough gold on the counter to buy me quarters in the head of Nedderpik. And he picked it up, weighed it for a moment, and then smiled at me. I felt a bash to the back of my head, and woke up hours later in my shop. The blueprints and the gold, and the invention, too! They were all gone. But I got me revenge. I recreated the device as best I could. And this is it. Pretty good, eh?
Special Rules: The design of the weapon allows it to keep four sling bullets in storage, using gravity to pull them down for firing. The steam engine has been upgraded in size, but the boilers have been downsized. The steam rifle can fire once per round, and does not need to be reloaded until all four shots have been fired. It follows the standard rules for firing stones and pebbles.
Steam Rifle: One-Handed Ranged Exotic Weapon. Damage: 1d6 + 2, x2, 75 ft, 7 lb, Piercing. 400 gp.
Cogling Steam Rifle: One-Handed Ranged Exotic Weapon. Damage: 1d4 + 1, x2, 75 ft, 7 lb, Piercing. 400 gp.

Pneumatic Armor: Can ye believe some people? I had a fellow in here who wanted a suit of hydraulic armor, but he didn't want the encumbrance or the weight. So I said to him: "Me boyo, if ye want a lighter armor, go knit yerself some. Or hire sombody to custom-make it for ye." And he turned to me and held out gold aplenty. And, foolishly, I agreed. He came back two days later, and got a suit of pneumatic armor. I had to strip out a lot to make it work, but he liked it. What did I take out? Well, the bulkiness of the armor was out, but scaling that back made it a bit weaker. The air filter and the reinforced fists had to go. The armor got a bit top-heavy at that point, but a bit of effective rearrangement solved that problem. It still isn't as stable as a hydraulic suit, but it works. I came up with a great idea at that point: stop relying on the steam to turn turbines, but instead make it do the work! Sealing it up, plus the reduction in bulk, makes it easier to tuck into a back corner. The jumping was a bit lessened because the legs couldn't take the strain. And finally, after all that, it got a bit easier to put on and take off.
Special Rules: The pneumatic armor has the following modifications from a suit of hydraulic armor: Wearer’s effective strength is 18 while wearing, no air filter, no slam attack, no stability, Concealment penalty reduced to -4. Jump checks: use effective strength, armor counts as one-half weight, and -2 armor check penalty is rolled.
Taking Armor Proficiency (hydraulic) automatically gives proficiency with pneumatic armor. Pneumatic armor is counted as medium armor.
Takes 10 minutes, with assist, to don.
+7 armor bonus, +2 maximum Dex bonus, -5 armor check penalty, 35% spell failure chance, speed: 30 ft, 20 ft, 120 lb. 2000 gp.
DragonMech DM soon, with any luck.

Owner of all DragonMech books, Etherscope core book, and DCC 12.5: Iron Crypt of the Heretics.
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

wow, can i reqruit you as head armorer/cog smith of my new steam faction?

(don't tell anyone, but i have my experts working on modifying the huge steam cannon for use by select infantry... my anti-mech infantry will show those obstinate stenians and the corrupt leaders of the legion... err... never mind)

seriously, nice equipment, and i agree with the problems with the steam gun, it's got all the drawbacks of a heavy crossbow, and none of the benifits (excepting it's improved range) at five times the cost

considering the nature of a bullet wound, i would think that the critical, at least, would be improved in some way

as for your steam rifle, i think they should follow the same firing rules as a regular crossbow... two handed fire, one handed at -4 penalty, because it sounds like a long barreled weapon, and oyu can't fire long barreled guns accurately wihtout bracing the barrel in some way (a second hand, a bi-pod, what have you), instead of being a one handed ranged weapon
Namfoodle "Sparklediver" Raulnor
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
Sword Guy
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Sword Guy »

What? Ye say it's a long-barreled gun? By the Great Engine, there's something wrong with yer eyes! Oh, ye're holding the wrong one. That ones make for the bigger people. This one's fer people of yer size, sonny. See? It's balanced for one-handed use. Had to do that so the extra steam engine parts wouldn't get in the way up in front. Makes it a bit bulkier and heavier, though.

And don't tell nobody, but I've got some things here you might be interested in. Polished thunderstones, suitable for use in yer steam gun. Maybe some of these sharped bullets, too? Aye, they make enemies sorry they've crossed ye.

Sling Thunderstones: Same as a regular thunderstone, except that they can be used with a steam gun or a sling, and adopt the range increment of that weapon. They cost 40 gp per stone.

As fer the sharpened stones, ye can get that from anyone who sells weapon for ranged work. (Masterwork ammunition)

Owner of all DragonMech books, Etherscope core book, and DCC 12.5: Iron Crypt of the Heretics.
Sword Guy
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Cyn's Steamtech Armory

Post by Sword Guy »

Personal Steam Cannon: Now this be a special device. I made it for a half-orc fella, who wanted to carry something with a bit more punch than a typical steam gun. I stayed up late working on this, and presented it to him in the morning. He gave me some very good magic items for my trouble, and walked off. He never said I couldn't sell the design to others, though. Problem is, those coglings are too small to carry it. Oh, well.
Special Rules: The Personal Steam Cannon is too large for a Small creature to use. Also, it is so heavy and bulky that the user must be stationary to fire it. This penalty may be negated if the user has a Strength score of at least 15. However, doing so causes a -3 penalty on attack rolls.
Two-Handed Ranged Exotic Weapon. Damage: 1d10 + 5, x2, 100 ft, 15 lb, Piercing. 600 gp.

(So, any comments? Questions? I know that somebody can think of a constructive criticism, and I'd like to hear it.)

Sword Guy
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Sword Guy »

Wow, this is so encouraging . . .

Seriously, is anyone ever going to tell me what they like or don't like about these? I keep feeling like I'm unworthy to post in the DragonMech forums . . .

Somebody, for the love of Dotrak, tell me what you think!

Antman
Far-Sighted Wanderer

love the idea's

Post by Antman »

Love the idea's, you have come up with more stuff than I have ever see come from from one guy. Keep up the good work.
There is no problem in life that cannot be solved with the use of high explosives.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Personally, I'm reading it and enjoying it! :)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Sword Guy
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Cyn's Steamtech Armory

Post by Sword Guy »

Piston Fist: I've been working on this contraption for a while now. It's made for a steamborg friend of mine. He's got a mechanical arm, and that's lead him to want a kind of steam-powered fist. So here it is.
Special Rules: The Piston Fist may only be used if it is installed into a steamborg's artificial arm. Attacking with the Piston Fist counts as an armed attack, and does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The Piston Fist gains a +5 bonus to damage when being used in a sunder attempt.
One-Handed Melee Exotic Weapon. Damage (S): 1d10, Damage (M): 2d6, x3, 10 lb, Bludgeoning. 500 gp.

mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

My question about new homebrewed (and later on I imagine new official) steam weapons: can it be assumed that coglayers and similar classes are auotmatically proficent with these weapons in addition to the ones outlined in the DM core book? I'd say yes, but if anyone disagrees I'd love to hear the reasoning.
Sword Guy
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Sword Guy »

I would personally allow no automatic proficiency for steamborgs with the Piston Fist. It is a 2d6 one-handed weapon, and it is built into their artificial arm. So, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Piston Fist) is something they still must take at higher levels.

The steambow is an automatic proficiency for the clockwork ranger, steamborg, and the machine druid (I still haven't finished the machine druid class), and is a choosable proficiency for coglayers.

The steam rifle follows the steam gun's pattern of proficiencies exactly.

The Personal Steam Cannon is a choosable proficiency for coglayers, and an automatic one for steamborgs.

I think that's about it. I don't know if these are balanced exactly or not, because I haven't had a chance to playtest them extensively.
mythfish wrote:new homebrewed (and later on I imagine new official)
If only . . . That would be wonderful, but I'm not going to get hopes up.

mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Well, coglayers are automatically proficient with every steam weapon in the core rulebook, so it makes sense to me (logically, but perhaps not balance-wise) that they would also be automatically proficient with ANY steam weapon unless it's something truly exotic even for a steam weapon.

I just started running a campaign, so I'll see if I can work some of your stuff into it. I'll let you know how it goes. :)
Sword Guy
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Sword Guy »

Wait . . . Coglayers don't start out with proficiencies, do they? *goes to check book*

Coglayers may choose steam weapons to become proficient with at higher levels, but they do not start with automatic proficiency. Steamborgs, on the other hand, start with proficiencies.

Steamborgs get automatic proficiency with all of these weapons except the piston fist. The reason they do not gain automatic proficiency with the piston fist is for balance reasons.

I'll be anxious to hear how they hold up in your game!

mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

You're right, my bad. I was thinking steamborg.
Sword Guy
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Sword Guy »

You ever have the wonderful sensation of looking at an already-published piece of work and realizing that "hey, I thought that I came up with that."

From now on, the piston fist is no longer the piston fist. Someone else already used that name. Suggestions for a new name?

Sometimes I wish that I could come up with an idea that no one has ever thought of before. Oh, well.

Post by Guest »

How about Cyn's Pneumatic Prostetic Fist? :D
Sword Guy
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Sword Guy »

Much as I like that name, the weapon isn't a unique creation. If it was, I probably would have used that name. :)

I've thought of a few alternate names, so tell me what you think.

Piston Striker
Pressurized Puncher
Steamborg Knuckles
Steel Fist

Any of these look good?

Ken Hart
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Ken Hart »

I like Pressurized Puncher of those choices. Playing off those:

The Knuckler
The Piston Pacifier
The Clobbering Cog
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

pneumatic hammer?
Namfoodle "Sparklediver" Raulnor
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
Rillip
Gongfarmer

Post by Rillip »

I kinda like the Clobbering Cog. It reminds me of The Thing from the Fantastic Four. Definetly a cool character.
No matter how broadly you look at a subject you are never right and you are never open-minded.
Sword Guy
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Sword Guy »

I think the Clobbering Cog might be a bit too humorous for what I'm thinking of. Though a multiclass Thing 10/Coglayer 2 /Steamborg 2 might enjoy it.

I think that the weapon shall henceforth be known as the Steamborg Fist.

abe
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by abe »

how about a pnumatic foot/kicker?
Sword Guy
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Sword Guy »

Well, I can see this shop's fallen into a bit of disrepair while I've been gone. No matter, I'll have it tidied up again soon.

In the meantime, take a look at this creation. Beautiful, ain't it?

Buzzblade: The buzzblade is essentially a bastard sword blade with a chainsaw-like arrangement built in a half-inch from the edge. Almost like a buzzaxe, but not quite. A buzzblade does less damage, but can actually be wielded with one hand, a feat much more to the liking a many a shield-carrying adventurer.
One-Handed Melee Exotic Weapon. Damage (S): 1d10, Damage (M): 1d12, 19-20x2, 10 lb, Slashing. 200 gp.

Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Volleygun

Post by Raptor »

Try out this weapon, which I call the volleygun. It is basically 4 steamguns reduced to small size (one step down from the cogling one listed) and linked together. All 4 barrels fire simultaneously and roll to hit seperately, just like a linked set of weapons on a mech. Stats: Cost 800gp, Dam 1d6, Crit x2, Range 120ft, Weight 12lb, Type piercing, Crew 1, PU 2. The only drawback is that it takes 2 full round actions to reload, and so it only fires once ever 3 turns.

Return to “DragonMech”