Help Us Write A Book

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

walrusjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Help Us Write A Book

Post by walrusjester »

As Joseph said in this forum, one of the next DragonMech sourcebooks is "Steam Warriors," and it's dedicated to the steam-using classes (primarily coglayers, mech jockeys, and steamborgs). I'm heading up the design work on it. So tell us -- what would you like to see? What do you suggest? I've been reading all the topics for ideas, but I figured it couldn't hurt to collect things in one place. Tell us what you want!
Antman
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Antman »

well since i am currently playing a 1st level coglayer anything to help make his life easier would be great, but i am also going to branch out and take some constructor levels as well, so i have to wonder if anything is going to be added for the magic users of Highpoint
There is no problem in life that cannot be solved with the use of high explosives.
cssmythe3
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by cssmythe3 »

Lots of interesting steam power combinations.

Maybe an errata for the steam powers from the main sourcebook.

The coglayer is a 'steam-wizard' and the steamborg is a 'steam-fighter' so how about a 'steam-rogue' core class that gets some small number of steam powers? Maybe even just a variant rogue that gets a small number of powers?

Tactics: how to use steam powers to take out mechs, tips for how each of the other classes (rogue, pilots, fighters) could benefit from taking a level of 'borg or 'cog. Politics within the gearwrights guild. Other organizations related to steam, organizations opposing steam, steam plot hooks, a summary table of steam powers (i'm starting to put that into my netbook as is), perhaps the addaption of some of the powers that Reese and I have come up with (hint hint, prod prod)?

That's all for now, somewhere I have a big list of subsequent products I'd really like to see, but that's for another post.
-Chuck Smith
LVSUBARU
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by LVSUBARU »

I'd like to see some Dragonmech specific spells.
And more prestige classes. Maybe cssmythe3's "steam rouge" as a prestige class.
abe
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by abe »

how about steam clerics?
a steam domain?
walrusjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by walrusjester »

Interesting responses -- keep them coming! I think Joseph envisioned this book as being more about steam powers than steam magic (maybe he'll weigh in for us here), but we're interested in all your ideas.
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

i'd like to see more weapons that are wholy steam/technology based

like the buzz saw, flame nozzle, and steam breather
(buzz axe and chatter sword are only partially steam/tech based)

i like the idea having enough tech based weapons to fill all(most?) weapon niches currently filled by the weapons in the PHB

also, i'd like to see more variations of hydralic armor (perhaps even a clockwork based version)

a fighting PrC devoted to using technological equipment would be nice (something like a technological version of the weapon master from "sword and fist", as opposed to the self-modifying steam borg class from the core book)

also, a monk PrC that uses technology (either self modifying as a steam borg or tech using as a coglayer [like a tech-ninja]) i know that the monestaries are isolated, but i think that even they (or some of them) would adapt to using some new technology as it becomes more prevailent in the outside world

along the same lines, a monk PrC devoted to removing tech based threats (a relative of the ankle biter PrC, i think) to represent the other viewpoint; some monestaries might welcome the changes of the new world and addopt it, while others would see the use of tech (and self modification in particular) as a blasphemy to the very tenets of thier teachings, and seek to eradicate it
Namfoodle "Sparklediver" Raulnor
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
Sword Guy
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Sword Guy »

I've been working on making custom versions of most of this stuff. I may start a seperate thread for comments on them, but here are some of the things I have been working on:

Steambow (composite bow with steam and clockworks)
Pneumatic armor (less bulky version of hydraulic armor)
Machine Druid (needs better name; much more change than the clockwork ranger)
Inifinite Clock Knight (prestige: deals with coglayers that want combat ability)
Steam Guns in pistol, rifle, and cannon forms (modifications to each)
A whole Steam Pantheon (as suggested in DragonMech)
Machine Host (prestige: clockwork animals that a coglayer can control)
Piston Angel (prestige: less powerful version of the Vessel of Dotrak)

And other such things. Would anyone like to see these? The Steam Warriors book sounds great.
DragonMech DM soon, with any luck.

Owner of all DragonMech books, Etherscope core book, and DCC 12.5: Iron Crypt of the Heretics.
Antman
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Antman »

man so many ideas, there is so much stuff here that i had no idea about and would have never thought up, oh well i just can't wait for the books to start rolling out :D
There is no problem in life that cannot be solved with the use of high explosives.
Sword Guy
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Sword Guy »

Reese wrote:also, a monk PrC that uses technology (either self modifying as a steam borg or tech using as a coglayer [like a tech-ninja]) i know that the monestaries are isolated, but i think that even they (or some of them) would adapt to using some new technology as it becomes more prevailent in the outside world
I second that. Maybe some monks were attracted to getting rid of the weaknesses of the flesh? I know that the Piston Rage feat in TSQ makes Barbarian/Steamborgs a viable possibilty. What about a variant monk that doesn't go in for the bulky, clanky mechanical arms of the steamborg, but instead graceful clockwork mechanics? Or a monk PrC that requires a multiclass Monk/Steamborg, but gives additional bonuses not represented by an Artificial Part bonus?
Reese wrote:along the same lines, a monk PrC devoted to removing tech based threats (a relative of the ankle biter PrC, i think) to represent the other viewpoint; some monestaries might welcome the changes of the new world and addopt it, while others would see the use of tech (and self modification in particular) as a blasphemy to the very tenets of thier teachings, and seek to eradicate it
Yes, indeed. I would almost ask for a type of monk that even uses steam power, but only against its owners. Kind of a "Steam Avenger" or somesuch. I tried to design one, but it just fell through.

Further ideas: A clockwork ranger PrC "ferrovore hunter," a set of rules for enchanting steamborg components (+3 Iron Arm), a more detailed list of specialized bomb uses, a few new magical enhancements, weapons, armors, wonderous items (and such) specific to DragonMech, maybe even a clarification on how to change mundane items to be steam-powered. And more, if I had more time to think.
DragonMech DM soon, with any luck.

Owner of all DragonMech books, Etherscope core book, and DCC 12.5: Iron Crypt of the Heretics.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Reese wrote:along the same lines, a monk PrC devoted to removing tech based threats (a relative of the ankle biter PrC, i think) to represent the other viewpoint; some monestaries might welcome the changes of the new world and addopt it, while others would see the use of tech (and self modification in particular) as a blasphemy to the very tenets of thier teachings, and seek to eradicate it
I was thinking something more akin to the stalker class...a rogue-ish prestige class making heavy use of special abilities based around the disable device skill to disable non-mech steam tech.

Return to “DragonMech”