steam power ideas

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

abe
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: steam power ideas

Post by abe »

If you leave in the puppets they could(possibly)throw the grenades for you!
On a different note chains times 3 + puppet + flame gun + rc unit(if available)=
abe
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by abe »

aligator shoes + plungers=
abe
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by abe »

boiler times 5 + puppet times 3 =
Oaksoul Elite
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Oaksoul Elite »

abe wrote:If you leave in the puppets they could(possibly)throw the grenades for you!
On a different note chains times 3 + puppet + flame gun + rc unit(if available)=
I'm getting the image of a small, remote-controlled mech, armed with a changler and a flame nozzle.
I am Omnirahk, half-Rahkshi ("Omni") of the WotC forums. I consider "Psionics in DragonMech" (see my website) my greatest contribution to anything d20 so far. At least, it's my most successful topic.
abe
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by abe »

Now your getting it again!
Oaksoul Elite
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Oaksoul Elite »

How about this one? (I've used it before. Let's see what you all can come up with).

steam grappler + fog generator + fan + automator + on/off switch

After I get a few guesses, I'll say how I used it. Though I wonder if anyone can come up with anything else...
I am Omnirahk, half-Rahkshi ("Omni") of the WotC forums. I consider "Psionics in DragonMech" (see my website) my greatest contribution to anything d20 so far. At least, it's my most successful topic.
abe
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by abe »

Oaksoul Elite wrote:How about this one? (I've used it before. Let's see what you all can come up with).

After I get a few guesses, I'll say how I used it. Though I wonder if anyone can come up with anything else...
smoke screen?
Oaksoul Elite
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Oaksoul Elite »

abe wrote:
Oaksoul Elite wrote:How about this one? (I've used it before. Let's see what you all can come up with).

smoke screen?
More or less - but I didn't put water in the fog generator. Just imagine using healing potions and firing it in amongst the zombies. They're taking damage while allies are healing. Or going with DragonMech's loose, inventive approach, using a limited supply of alchemically-processed gorgon's blood to create a cloud of petrification. :twisted: :lol:
abe
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by abe »

chain +gripper=?
abe
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by abe »

goo gun+ puppet times 5=?
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

Tarbaby.
Oaksoul Elite
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Oaksoul Elite »

I just put together a new combo: force generator + lobber + fin + apparatus = bulldozer cannon. Send a wall of force flying straight at your foe, or by using the trigger to turn on the fin, send it slamming right down on top of them. I handle it as a the enemy needing to make a reflex save to avoid 2d8 force damage and either be pushed 5 feet or knocked prone. Sure, I played a little loose with the rules here, but I think it work. And for reference, I've been calculating the save DC = Intelligence modifier plus the number of steam powers in the apparatus.
Draconis13
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Draconis13 »

The topic is bit misleading and talking about coming up with combinations but here are some powers that I have come up with.

[Reservoir]

Cost: 60gp
Assistants: 0
Size: small (16)
Weight: 6lbs

This compartmentalized tank holds up to 5 units of any alchemical fluid, potion or poisons. The fluids may be freely dispensed into containers by opening a valve and draining them. They can also be directed into pumps or combined with other effects such as pilot lights. However you are unable to amplify the potion/alchemical effects. A fuel tank doubles the amount of fluids to 10 and a fuel maximizer is able to double the uses 2 to 1.

Thus combined with a pump a pilot light a set of amplifiers and filling the tanks with acid you could have a flamethrower that burned and corrodes in a line. A flask of oil would do additional fire damage from the sticky oil etc.

[Applicator]

Cost: 80gp
Size: Small (12)
Weight: 8lbs

This allows a steam powers output to be changed into a melee touch attack. Unlike lobbers or pumps it concentrates the effect into a number of charges which must be expended or dumped before a new effect is introduced. Most mundane substances such as acids, oil, alchemists fire, a pilot light etc, get a 1 flask to 5 charges output. Magical fluids such as potions however are only 1 to 1 else they are ineffective. The steam power can store 10 charges of any one substance at a time. Loading a flask of oil or potion directly into it is a full round action that requires unscrewing the housing. Loading from an attached steam power is a free action. unloading is a standard action and empties into an adjacent square as a touch attack. This only has the effect of 1 charge even though all charges are lost.
A fuel maximizer can double the amount of power to charges but fuel maximizers do not stack down the line even if used with a reservoir or fuel tank.

Normal mundane uses can be extending out gear oil, paints, combined with a water pump to wash something or any number of useful processes. Combat applications involve painting enemies with acid, poison, alchemist fire or another steam powers output

[Capacitor]

Cosr: 100gp
Size: Tiny (6)
Weight: 4lbs

Using a standard action to pull a lever or operate a crank to build up charge and/or wind a mainspring. Storing 5 such actions to grant between +1 and +5 bonus for use with another steam power. The bonus then can be used to extend a powers effect by 5 feet per charge or add +1 damage to the output of a power such as a iron arms attack or a spark generator. The user may freely select how many charges if any the device will use. An automator would allow the device to generate 1 charge on its own per combat round.
abe
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by abe »

maniuplitar times 4 plus chains times 2?
abe
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by abe »

flamer + puppetter
Sivartius
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Vozza's Hobbies and Comics

Post by Sivartius »

One thing I've never understood. On page 55 of my Dragonmech book "Building Steam Powers of Different Sizes" it has instructions on making larger and smaller steampowers. With those rules, you can make a steam power up to 3 size categories largers than usual. If that is the case, then why waste 3 steam powers and 3x the gp building a larger Clockwork Puppet, when you could spend 3x the gp and make one that size that used only 1 steam power?
"Logic works better if you're holding a knife." -Bunny
Sivartius
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Vozza's Hobbies and Comics

Post by Sivartius »

I'm not sure weather this can be made using existing Steamp Powers, or if would need a new one, but here goes:

pump+reservoir (or pump xX + Reservoir xY) = Compressor and reservoir

A compressor pushes strength to produce 2 strength per round. A reservoir can hold and maintain up to 40 point/rounds of strength. Strength can be released and used in any amount up to the maximum stored. Anything that can be moved by steam, (and doesn't require heat,) can be moved by compressed air. The beauty of this system is two-fold. First, with the addition of more reservoirs, you can build up truly impressive bursts of strength. Second, even after the steam is turned off for whatever reason, the points of strength remain in the reservoir, and can still be used. If a reservoir is not maintained, the compressed air gradually leaks away. If you are looking for steady power, compressed air is mostly a distraction. Compressed air excels at delivering a sudden burst of power.

Edit: Here's Another:
Autoforge + Animator + Discriminator + Skill Box you have a device that makes common/standard mech cogs, and counts as an Expert for building a mech.
"Logic works better if you're holding a knife." -Bunny
HGgfdgjh
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by HGgfdgjh »

The rules for building a mech can be found in the Mechs chapter of DragonMech. What you've got above would be a coglayer contraption
Galaxy tab e case
Xperia z5 compact case

Return to “DragonMech”