Swarm of Fanboysite Updates

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

cssmythe3
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Swarm of Fanboysite Updates

Post by cssmythe3 »

http://www.brothersdigital.com/~csmith/steamp/

Has a swarm of new updates!

Slight bug fixes and added 'manpowered mechs' on the Crew+Mech designer & character sheet.

First hack at Netbook of Dragonmech (new Artillerist core class, mechs posted to this forum, 2 new mechs, new mech rules, new steam powers & combos, lotsa NPCs) Resulted from an attempt to sort through the forums
and organize the material a bit, and a burst of creativity on my part.

Reese, there's a lot of your stuff in the book, is that OK? You never answered my message about including your stuff...

Onward: I've updated my 2d mech figure to the right scale, and thrown in some of the dmech 'iconics.' Joe, if its a bad idea to use your artwork, lemme know and I'll yank this in a heartbeat.

Game on!
-Chuck Smith
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

actually, i did, and i said you could go ahead

(the forum lost the IM?)

anyway, i'll go and check this out right now
Namfoodle "Sparklediver" Raulnor
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

a few of the entries seem cut off...

Hydralic jaws, most noticably

I can say that many of those are powers that I would happily allow in my campaign (were i running one...)

here's an idea: clockwork puppet + clockwork puppet + clockwork puppet + clockwork puppet + magnetis clamp + magnetic clamp + animator

a medium clockwork puppet that can climb most mechs at it's speed (magnetic clamps on it's feet) either to perform repair work or to cause some damage (say, give it a sack of magnet bombs :D )

and, here's another power i came up with:

Calculator
cost: 1000gp
assistants: 0
Size: small
Weight 6lb

A calculator is a specialized form of an animator or automator
a calculator can take available data and calculate a probable outcome based on this data
by itself, it can do little, as it needs other devices to give it imput

when connected to a device that can recieve input (such as an optical orb or other animating device) the calculator can provide a +1 intuition bonus on attack rolls or a +2 bonus on some skill checks (at the DMs discression)

the calculator can also negeate 1 point of dodge bonus (or 5% of miss change from certain spells such as blink or blur form)

a calculator must have a form of display (image maker or wave maker) easily viewable by the user in order for a human to take advantage of the bonuses provided, an object animated by steam powers can take advantage of this power without such aids
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
LVSUBARU
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by LVSUBARU »

I like that clockwork puppet!
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

and now for something mech related:

mech add-on:

Stony Face
costs 25% of base armor cost

requirements:
primarily stone armor (51% or more)
steady feet mech add on
armor plating mech add on

a mech with this add on gains the following benifits:

the mech is carved to look like a natural rock formation; it gains +2 to hide checks, +4 in rocky terrain, +6 in rocky terrain composed primarily of the type of rock used for the mech's armor

while crouched (mech piloting DC 5, modified by size, to crouch or stand up from a crouch, failure by 5 or more means falling over ), the mech is indistinguishable from a natural protruberance of rock, though some clues will point to it's true identity upon closer examination (such as well concealed hatches and the huge freaking mech tracks leading to it)

while crouched, the mech gains an extra +2 to it's hardness (from armor)

any weapon attatched to the mech that is not also altered to be concealed (+20% to cost) causes -2 to the concealment bonuses and loss of the ability to look like a natural rock formation

--edit--
content edited for typoes and redability
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

Code: Select all

Bearing Gun     Cost    Damage  Critical   Range  Weight      Type     Crew    PU
  Large          300     3x1d4   20/ x2      40      30     piercing      1     2
  Huge          1000     6x1d4   20/ x2      35      60     piercing      2     4
  Gargantuan    2000     9x1d4   20/ x2      30     120     piercing      2     8
  colossal      3000    12x1d4   20/ x2      25     240     piercing      3    16
The bearing gun fires a line of effect that deals damage to the first few targets in the effect's range. An attack with a bearing gun starts with a ranged touch attack vs. AC 15 targeting the first square with a target in the desired line of effect. A natural 1 on this roll means the mechanism jams for 1d6 rounds. If the attack succedes, then the line goes from the corner of the mech determined by the firer(within the firing arc, if appropriate) through the designated square. If the attack fails, the line passes from the same corner through a square determined as though the attack had been a splash weapon of the appropriate range increment(a roll of a 1 on the d8 automatically wastes the shot, and a roll of a 5 can only hit taller targets, see example below). The first target in the line of effect (if the line of effect contains no targets, the shot is wasted) is then subjected to the indicated number of attacks. Each attack is made with a separate roll, a seperate crit chance, and is has damage reduction applied to it. The next target in the line is subject to one less attack then the previous target. If the previous target was larger than medium sized, it is subjected to twice as many attacks per size catagory above medium, but each successive target recieves half as many attacks (rounded down) per size catagory as they otherwise would have. regaurdless of the number and sizes of targets, no more attacks can be made than the number of sling bullets fired per shot
The Bearing gun normally uses sling bullets (10 x PU per shot), a bearing gun can instead make use of smaller bearrings intended for use as ball bearings in delecate mechanical devices, but deals less damage (1d3 or less, at DM's discression). becasue of the delecate nature of the bearing gun's firing mechanism, only perfectly round shot can normally be used. while pebbles or other debris can be used as shot, the bearring gun can only fire once, at 1d3 damage per hit, before the mechanism is ruined (requiring 1/3 the construction cost and a dc 20 mech craft check to repair)
The bearring gun was essentially invented by accident, when a gnome coglayer accidantally spilled a vial of ball bearrings into a secondary intake funnel of the steam exhaust of a large steam engine. the Gnome, unfortunately, did not survive his discovery, but fellow coglayers were able to re-construct the manner of his death (and greatly improve the design).

example:

a huge mech weilding a huge sized bearing gun targets a group of orcs 200 feet away
the pilot makes an attack against AC 15 (with a -10 penalty for being over 5 range increments away) if the attack roll is successful, the first orc is attacked 6 times, the next 5 times, the third 4 times, and so on.
if the initial attack roll had missed, the line would extent from the corner of the mech through the point that was 30 feet away in the direction determined by rolling 1d8 (against a large enough group of orcs, this is not a problem) a roll that would indicate the same line as the intended line either fires into the air (on a 5) or into the ground(on a 1)
the same attack against a group of ogres (large sized) would attack the first ogre 12 times, the second 5 times, and the third would be hit two times, and the fourth not at all ((3 * 2 )/(2*2*2) = 3/4)

------

i actually stole the idea from a series called 'the cross time engineer' where an engineer gets sent back in time to mideval poland... among other 'inventions' he makes a steam boat that is armed with steam powered mortars and steam powered 'machine guns' that fired a stream of ball bearrings at high velocities (steam powered, both, becasue they syphoned off steam from the steamboat's engine for power... his non-river-based troops used black powder weapons that he, again, 'invented')
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
Sword Guy
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Sword Guy »

May I recommend something about the Artillerist class? It seems to me it would be better as a prestige class, rather than a core class. I would suggest ranks needed in knowledge (engineering), profession (engineer), and the siege weapon proficiency feat as possible prereqs. Lower the mech attack bonus to the same as the mech jockeys, but give a series of class bonuses to using siege weapons specifically. In other words, make it more effective to use a steam cannon than a buzzsaw. I would also recommend changing the knowledge (mathematics) skill to just be a part of knowledge (architecture and engineering)

Just my 2 3/4 cents. Use it or don't as you will.
DragonMech DM soon, with any luck.

Owner of all DragonMech books, Etherscope core book, and DCC 12.5: Iron Crypt of the Heretics.

Return to “DragonMech”