Mech AC

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

Sutekh
Ill-Fated Peasant

Mech AC

Post by Sutekh »

In the Dragonmech book I got the impression that mechs doesn't recieve AC bonus from their Dex, however in Shardsfall Quest both the Magwagon and the Raptor recieves their Dex bonus (or penalty) to their AC. Which is it? :)
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

wha?

in the case of bonuses, do the mechs' respective pilots have the mech dancer feat?

as for penalties and those mechs lacking pilots with mech dancer, i bet they're typoes or mis-prints

(or someone not paying attention when they write the stats)

though, in terms of hitting, does a change of AC from a 6 to a 4 make much of a difference? (heck, most of the players in my normal campaign have attack bonuses from +3 to +6 at first level, depending on weapon, initial feats, and class, and would only miss most mechs on a roll of a 1)
Namfoodle "Sparklediver" Raulnor
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
Sutekh
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Sutekh »

I'm talking stats without considering the mech pilot. According to the DragonMech corebook page 87 a mech has an AC which is modified by its size and the pilots dex (if he has the Mech Dancer feat) only. However on Shardsfall Quest page 58 both the Magwagon and the Raptor has its base AC (without pilot) calculated on both its own size and its own dex.

I know it doesn't make much of a difference, but a Raptor with a good pilot could actually become hard to hit. It is listed as have AC 11 (+2 dex, -1 size), but according to its abilities it has dex 18, which would mean AC 13 (+4, -1 size). When this is modified by a good pilot the Raptor could end up with an AC around 17.
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

ah, in that case, i guess i should wait until my local bookstore actually starts carrying that source book before i try comment on it :lol:
Namfoodle "Sparklediver" Raulnor
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Ooooops. That's a typo. I went back and forth about including Dex bonuses in my own campaign. I did for a while, then didn't... and eventually decided no, so the Shardsfall mechs shouldn't include them.

Uh oh. Now I need to go double-check the manuscript for the Mech Manual... :)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Sutekh
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Sutekh »

Thanks for sorting that out. :)

Return to “DragonMech”