Flame nozzels

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

Sutekh
Ill-Fated Peasant

Flame nozzels

Post by Sutekh »

I can't seem to figur out how these work. They produce a cone attack which damages all creature in the area (p. 129), yet they explode if one is "full-blazing" and roll 1 on an attack roll. So do they hit all creatures like a standard cone attack, or do they require an attack roll? Does one roll an attack roll versus all creature in the cone or only the specific target?

Post by Guest »

I had to make a similar decision recently, regarding the steambreather. I decided to make a ranged touch attack for each target within the cone area of effect. For a flame nozzle's standard attack, I would do the same, with the additional Reflex save to avoid igniting, as stated in the rules.

For a "full-blazin'" flame nozzle, I'd make the ranged touch attack against the main target be the only one that counts when determing whether or not the canister explodes. (You'd still make ranged touch attacks for all other targets in the cone, but a roll of "1" against any of them wouldn't cause a big bang. :))

Just my opinion -- your mileage may vary.
Ken Hart
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Ken Hart »

Oops, that was me. I didn't realize I wasn't logged in!

--Ken

P.S.: Like your name, Sutekh. I just got the Doctor Who "Pyramids of Mars" on DVD. 8)
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Flame nozzels

Post by goodmangames »

Sutekh wrote:I can't seem to figur out how these work. They produce a cone attack which damages all creature in the area (p. 129), yet they explode if one is "full-blazing" and roll 1 on an attack roll. So do they hit all creatures like a standard cone attack, or do they require an attack roll? Does one roll an attack roll versus all creature in the cone or only the specific target?
Um, yeah, that's my fault. I was playing using some weird house rules that should have been changed for print. :) I played using a ranged touch attack for each creature in the cone, rather than the usual everything-make-a-Reflex-save style of play. If you use a ranged touch attack, it makes sense for the roll of 1 to cause disaster. If you use the usual rules, then I'd suggest some sort of random roll -- just make the attacker roll a d20 each round he's full-blazin' it, and on a 1 the weapon explodes.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Sutekh
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Sutekh »

Ken Hart wrote:Oops, that was me. I didn't realize I wasn't logged in!

--Ken

P.S.: Like your name, Sutekh. I just got the Doctor Who "Pyramids of Mars" on DVD. 8)
Thanks for your interpretation. :)

Well my name comes from the egyptian god Sutekh AKA Set, but thanks any how. ;)
Sutekh
Ill-Fated Peasant

Re: Flame nozzels

Post by Sutekh »

goodmangames wrote:Um, yeah, that's my fault. I was playing using some weird house rules that should have been changed for print. :) I played using a ranged touch attack for each creature in the cone, rather than the usual everything-make-a-Reflex-save style of play. If you use a ranged touch attack, it makes sense for the roll of 1 to cause disaster. If you use the usual rules, then I'd suggest some sort of random roll -- just make the attacker roll a d20 each round he's full-blazin' it, and on a 1 the weapon explodes.
Ok. That explains a lot... did you use the ranged touch attack rules for all cone attack (spells, breath weapons, etc.) or only flamenozzels and steambreathers? If you did, did you still allow a save for half damage from cone attacks? And if you didn't did the rogues gain any compensation for the reduce effectivity of their evasion ability?
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

here's a fun house rule varient for flame nozzel (and other cone type weapons)

make a single ranged attack roll, and that's the reflex DC for avoiding damage (save for half or save to avoid?)

that gives you the excuse to be rolling a d20 AND factors player skill with the weapon
(it's an exotic weapon, after all, you need an attack roll or players won't bother taking the relevant proficiency, since non-proficiency with weapons only effects attack rolls)
Namfoodle "Sparklediver" Raulnor
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
Sutekh
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Sutekh »

Sounds like a very good solution... I would say reflex save for half damage...
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Yeah, that sounds like a great idea...
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com

Return to “DragonMech”