Dragonmech: Gods, deities and a forgotten spell....

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

Thos
Ill-Fated Peasant

Dragonmech: Gods, deities and a forgotten spell....

Post by Thos »

Hi Goodman Games,

first my applause for a very good product. I haven't badgered my RPG-store this much about getting something in a long time. Just waiting for The Shardsfall Quest now before launching a campaign.

A few questions though:

1. What pantheon to use? Currently I am tempted to use the standard WotC D&D3.5 PHB gods and deities which would work, though maybe a bit weirdly. The Fharlin temple at Edge is an example; same god basically as Fharlanghn, just slightly different.

2. More info on the lunar gods. Are there just those three? What are the domains of Erefiviviasta and Seroficitacit?

3. On page 46 in the Moonwatcher feat description, last paragraph of the Benefit section, you mention a Detect Lunar spell, but make no mention of it in the Spells section. I currently favour working it like the other Detect XXX spells, lvl 1 spell caster, 90deg radius, long range, concentration, 10 min. duration, information gained based on how long you scan. Other lunar-related spells are mentioned; will there be spells with a [Lunar] spell description at sometime?
walrusjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by walrusjester »

A few thoughts for you:

1) Using and adapting the standard pantheon isn't a bad idea. It wouldn't surprise me if future DragonMech products address the question of Highpoint's native religions. Until then, using the 3.5 deities is a simple answer.

2) The lunar cultures probably have as many gods as the terrestrial folk do. I doubt 3 gods (who have a history of internal rivalry) could push back an entire pantheon, no matter what the moon is doing. But they're probably really freakin' weird. Look at how strange the lunar creatures are -- dronogs, skinstealers -- and consider how different their deities must be. If you're looking to have a terrestrial cleric of a lunar god, your domain selection might be limited, since your mind probably can't totally grasp whatever you're worshipping. Sero probably grants Chaos, and Eref could have Travel. I'm not sure if any others make sense, at least with what we know of the lunar gods.

3) Don't divine spellcasters have an innate Detect Lunar ability? I think that's what it refers to.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Glad you like DragonMech!

1. Pantheons: The terrestrial pantheons are intentionally vague, because I want the book to be easily layered into "standard" fantasy worlds. After all, the lunar catastrophes are supposed to have happened to a "standard" fantasy world. Future DragonMech supplements will indeed have more development of the religions, but I'd still encourage you to use whatever existing pantheon you prefer.

2. Lunar gods: As walrusjester mentioned, they are indeed really freakin' weird. Several people in the development of the book repeatedly mentioned that I should include domains... but I didn't, because the lunar gods are supposed to be so far out that the terrestrial races can't comprehend them fully (hence the rules for lunar monsters' alien psychology on page 181). If some human cleric tried to gain a domain from worshipping a lunar god in my campaign, I'd say "no way, Jose" -- though maybe that would open up the option of some sort of lunar convert template or PrC where they slowly convert to an alien mindset through devout worship. Hmmm.... ;)

3. It should indeed be like the usual "detect XXX" spells. We used it in my campaign as an alternate spell (like the other varants on page 47).

Hope that helps.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
DMSteve

Alieniest

Post by DMSteve »

I really like the campaign! Thanks for writing it, just bought it at my FLGS here in Tokyo (Yellow Submarine in Shinkjuku) - I was thinking that the Lunar gods reminded of the alienist type of wizards from the old Tome&Blood? Or perhaps something even cthulu like.

Perhaps you could adapt some of that into the game for the domains. Or use the domain of madness from RttTOEE.

Just some ideas on how to use crazy lunar gods.

Cheers
cssmythe3
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by cssmythe3 »

I have been using the Cthullu mythos for the lunar gods!

Lotsa fun there! I'm also using a 'sanity' metric similar to the old chaosium system. The summary of the system is the more you know about the lunar gods, the less sane you are! One of my PC's has already started piling on points to knowledge: lunar. Should be fun.

Keep up the good work joe!
-Chuck Smith

Post by Guest »

Yep, a Lovecraftian direction is definitely a way to go. You can build a good villain with the alienist PrC (in Tome and Blood and now Complete Arcane).
Ken Hart
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Ken Hart »

Oops, that was me. I didn't realize I hadn't logged in. :roll:
Nero's Boot
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Nero's Boot »

Mech Manual has the names of a few gods in it (in the Iron Choir description), and although I don't own it, and can not say for certain one way or the other, I'd imagine the new Highpoint sourcebook would have info in it on the gods of the 4 main cultures.

--it'll be interesting to see what gods the elves pray to NB
Commala-come-come,
The battle's now begun,
And all the foes of men and rose
Rise with the setting sun.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Actually the Second Age of Walkers doesn't have a lot in the way of specific deities and religions. I have a vague recollection of 2 or 3 deities being specifically named and their spheres being given, but I don't even remeber what section of the book it was in.
Nero's Boot
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Nero's Boot »

mythfish wrote:Actually the Second Age of Walkers doesn't have a lot in the way of specific deities and religions. I have a vague recollection of 2 or 3 deities being specifically named and their spheres being given, but I don't even remeber what section of the book it was in.
Mech Manual lists 8 gods, has a small flavor text for each god, and gives Domains for each god's clerics: Alia, goddess of healing; Cronul, god of death; Dracton, god of tyranny; Glorius, god of valour; Korduk, god of dwarves; Morst, god of strength; Ummoor, goddess of magic; and the Unnamed One, god of secrets.

--that's eight gods, plus Fhurlin, from the corebook NB
Last edited by Nero's Boot on Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commala-come-come,
The battle's now begun,
And all the foes of men and rose
Rise with the setting sun.
Ken Hart
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Ken Hart »

2nd Age of Walkers has information about the religions and practices of the other groups, specifically the Legion and L'Arile Nation, complete with names and new domains and spells.

--Ken
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Ken Hart wrote:2nd Age of Walkers has information about the religions and practices of the other groups, specifically the Legion and L'Arile Nation, complete with names and new domains and spells.

--Ken
You are correct. Somehow I totally missed those.

Return to “DragonMech”