Coglaying question

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

Phasma Felis
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Coglaying question

Post by Phasma Felis »

Man, I'm glad to see some other people finally posting about Dragonmech. I picked it up on a whim last month, and for a while I thought I was the only one reading it. Hi, everybody.

There seems to be a bit of confusion about how steam powers work. I'd like to share my conclusions and see if they're right. The way I'm reading the coglayer class description, all coglayers have access to all steam powers, from Amplifier to Wavemaker. Their only limitation is how many components they can maintain at once, as determined by level and Int modifier (and the Gearhead feat). The Steam Powers section seems to contradict this, though. Sentences like "Once a coglayer or steamborg gains an understanding of how to use a certain steam power, he still must build the engine to use that power" (pg. 54, first sentence under "Building Steam Powers") imply that you also have to learn each steam power individually. Which is correct?

That's all for the moment. Any chance of getting a dedicated forum for Dragonmech? I've got a zillion more questions to ask once I get them all sorted out in my head, and I don't want to clog up the Products forum too badly. :)

Post by Guest »

(notes agian i need a username) as far as i understand your absolutely correct about steampwoers.... as for the sentence about having learned them, i think it's in game flavor text, such as a person has to learn them eventually (take 1 level coglayer/steamborg...) and then you can make them anytime...
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

or, rather, four levels of steamborg

considering no mechanics are listed on aquiring steam powers (or for developing new ones, as spell research for wizards)

though, personally, i wouldn't find it unfair to require a player to pick a limited number of powers at the level they gain access to steam powers and then require some sort of research or cost in GP to aquire new ones...

or to give basic powers for free, but require a research cost to aquire the knowledge to create the ones that are just short of magical in nature(such as the force generator)

BTW, it's pretty easy to get a registered nick, using the register link at the top of the page, and they send you the confirmaiton e-mail right away (gotta love automation scripts :D )
Jaxom Faux
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Jaxom Faux »

i like that idea because if you think about it their number of steam powers, while a bit more flexible, is really just a spellbook sorta conversion.... i was already thinking it would take personal research if my players wanted to make new powers that haven't already been "found"; besides, it's sposed to be an expensive hobby right?
And Remember kids:
"Jû§† ßÊçÅù§Ê §Ømë-øñé WãñÐꮧ ÐøêŠ Ñø† MèÅñ hË ¡§ Lø§†...."
LVSUBARU
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Coglaying question

Post by LVSUBARU »

Phasma Felis wrote: That's all for the moment. Any chance of getting a dedicated forum for Dragonmech? I've got a zillion more questions to ask once I get them all sorted out in my head, and I don't want to clog up the Products forum too badly. :)
I think a Dragonmech forum would be cool.
Jaxom Faux
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Coglaying question

Post by Jaxom Faux »

LVSUBARU wrote:
Phasma Felis wrote: I think a Dragonmech forum would be cool.
Ditto
And Remember kids:
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Hey guys,

Sorry for the slow reply. I've been at Gen Con for the last week! It was crazy but fun. Now that it's finally over, I can get back to regular business.

Your initial interpretation of steam powers is correct, as follows: "The way I'm reading the coglayer class description, all coglayers have access to all steam powers, from Amplifier to Wavemaker. Their only limitation is how many components they can maintain at once, as determined by level and Int modifier (and the Gearhead feat)." That's correct. The other section you refer to is flavor text that probably should have been reworded. :)

Keep in mind that the assumed background for a coglayer is someone who's raised on a city-mech and has access to a knowledge pool of other coglayers, Gearwrights, steamborgs, gear forests, mechs, and steam equipment. I assume that a coglayer has plenty of reference material for steam powers based on swapping stories with peers, and observing the city-mech environment he's raised in.

You could play on this in a campaign by creating coglayers from different backgrounds, or with limited exposure. For example, a peasant living in a worm tunnel deep underground might simply have a knack for steam equipment. He could end up taking a level as coglayer, but lack exposure to the wide variety of steam powers available. The DM and player could agree that he only has access to steam powers X, Y, and Z (those he developed on his own in the worm tunnels), but he can acquire others as he adventures and meets more coglayers. This obviously limits the character but makes for a cool role playing experience.

Another role playing possibility is lost or secret steam powers. A Gearwright could develop an intriguing new steam power (something the player comes up with) and the DM could rule that because it's new, knowledge of it hasn't spread yet. So the player could have access to a unique steam power -- until he uses it in front of other coglayers, of course, and they decide to copy it, and the idea spreads.

Hope that helps. As for a DragonMech forum, I'll see what I can do.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Jaxom Faux
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Jaxom Faux »

sounds great, although i had to laugh at your comment of coglayers sharing powers, it'd be like trading cards to them, that or they gossip like old women all the time :lol: "Yeah, i was in X last week and this crazy coglayer there said he had a mech with extending arms, immagine that, i need to give it a try someday" "yeah that cool!!! i think i'll go home and try it with a suit of hydraulic armor i got laying around" "Well, ya know you'll have to letme see it when you figure it out" etc etc.....darn gossips HEHEHEHE
And Remember kids:
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Jaxom Faux wrote:sounds great, although i had to laugh at your comment of coglayers sharing powers, it'd be like trading cards to them, that or they gossip like old women all the time :lol: "Yeah, i was in X last week and this crazy coglayer there said he had a mech with extending arms, immagine that, i need to give it a try someday" "yeah that cool!!! i think i'll go home and try it with a suit of hydraulic armor i got laying around" "Well, ya know you'll have to letme see it when you figure it out" etc etc.....darn gossips HEHEHEHE
:) That's kind of how I envisioned them... like any kind of hobbyists who love to talk about their hobby... just like the painters or card gamers or role players who hang out in game stores and talk about the cool new games they've been playing recently... :)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com

Return to “DragonMech”