mechs and steam powers, magic, etc

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

mechs and steam powers, magic, etc

Post by Guest »

i have a few questions regarding mechs and incorporated steam powers. if i was a mech-devil and wanted to fight unarmed, had a coglayer lackey and had him incorporate a boiler into my mech engine would it mean 1) all physical properties of mech double aka str 30 = 60, speed doubles, etc? 2) all physical bonuses are doubled aka +10 str mod = +20 or 3) damage from physical attacks goes up 1 die ala amplifier?

next, could i enchant my mech to be say +3 armor and how would that effect stats? particularly hardness and hp? also would the bonus only be armor or also effect unarmed attacks?

also, mech sizing steam powers wasn't worded too well (or i just don't comprehend too well :P), do i take it that they go up by the appropiate size number, ex. animator is small for medium creature, would be huge for colosal mech?

also the mech with a magi-missle wand, how's that work, the mech can't cast it, does the mech jockey? same for rodwalker, does every elf have 1 level of wizzy and somehow translate that through their mech or does it "just work"?

the mech building section mentions being able to make mechs with greater stats but that sometimes doesn't work out right, the phys abilities is fine but better saves you usually go down size not up, and also was said you could build more manueverable mechs but doesn't say how. Also i think the price for building an adamantine armored mech is low but i won't complain :P

that's all for now but i'm sure i'll think of more soon.

Post by Guest »

HA!!!, i knew i'd think of more, under steam cannon it doesn't mention amunition price or how many times a round it can be fired, only that it takes 2 crew, i assume fire rate of 1/rnd being a siege weapon, but ammo? and explosive shells/barbed sword x3 cost? i assume you mean the base price of the "modified" item x3? so my huge steam cannon firing explosive shells is 9,000 gp? ouch...and i better get unlimited ammo with that too huh? kinda like super-sizing? :P
Phasma Felis
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Phasma Felis »

if i was a mech-devil and wanted to fight unarmed, had a coglayer lackey and had him incorporate a boiler into my mech engine would it mean 1) all physical properties of mech double aka str 30 = 60, speed doubles, etc? 2) all physical bonuses are doubled aka +10 str mod = +20 or 3) damage from physical attacks goes up 1 die ala amplifier?
Heh. Boiler is horribly broken as written. (1) and (2) are both reasonable interpretations of the text, and they would both allow a mid-level coglayer to build a mech strong enough to toss city-mechs around. I could be wrong, but I don't think that was the intent.

Here's how I would house-rule it: when applied to a mech, a clockwork puppet, an iron arm, or a similar device, a boiler gives it a flat +4 to strength. (Or +2, if you think that's too powerful.) When applied to a steam-powered weapon, like a buzzsaw, chattersword, or steam gun, it increases the damage by one die type, like amplifier.
under steam cannon it doesn't mention amunition price or how many times a round it can be fired, only that it takes 2 crew, i assume fire rate of 1/rnd being a siege weapon, but ammo? and explosive shells/barbed sword x3 cost? i assume you mean the base price of the "modified" item x3? so my huge steam cannon firing explosive shells is 9,000 gp?
I'd assume 1 shot per round as well. I think the x3 cost for explosive shells applies to the ammo, not the cannon, but since there are no ammo costs listed for siege weapons, I have no idea what that might be.
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

the way it reads to me, it looks like it would apply by increasing the force exerted... in other words, doubling the power-output from the stema engine

in terms of power output, strength scores increase exponentially, i would, personally, rule that a boiler attatched to a mech would have to be of a size suited to being used by a mech (large sized for a large mech, etc.) and would increase the strength of a mech by improving the strength based on what it would need to be to double the lifting capacity,

for instance, a large steam powered mech has a str of 18, and a strength of 18 has a heavy load of 300 pounds, so one boiler would increase that to 600 pounds, which is the heavy load for a strength of 23

if the doubled score is between scores, take the lower score

since each additional boiler would add a further 300 (because of arithmetic progression) each subsequent boiler would increase the overall strength score by less and less... for instance, a second boiler, in the above scenario, would give a heavy load of 900, which is between 26 and 25, so the increase would be to 25, the next would be to 28, then 29, and then you start needing multiple boilers for a single point of strength... and each boiler would have to take up atleast one PU, depending on how big it is

if the boiler would actaully do the mech as a whole any good at all, that is... i doubt that a mech would be any stronger without swapping out the parts that apply the strength so they are able withstand and take advantage of the extra pressure to go with the boiler, which would cost extra money to buy/make compared to regular ones

they would work on individual mech weapons (where applicable) by allowing it to cause one extra die of damage for one boiler, and one more die each time the number of boilers was doubled (one official WoTC product I have has a simaler effect... where each doubling of total power resulted in a single additional die of damage, so i used it as a model)

of course, this is all just my opinion on the matter ^_^

Post by Guest »

i seriously need to get a username.... anywho thanks for the answers guys, i may have to use them at least untill i can get an official response (Hint hint wink wink >8] ) in the meantime i'll come up with more annoying questions for them :P
Jaxom Faux
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Jaxom Faux »

BWAAAAAaaaaaaaaahahhaa, i now have a name to go with the maniacal comments....another question i have is for die advancement, it doesn't really point out too well on a few things, like when you use amplifiers how the dice progress....i supposedly have a steamborg doing 6d20 damage for crying out loud, if i use 3.5 D&D conversions it's only like 6d6 or so, which i believe is a little more accurate and believable
And Remember kids:
"Jû§† ßÊçÅù§Ê §Ømë-øñé WãñÐꮧ ÐøêŠ Ñø† MèÅñ hË ¡§ Lø§†...."
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

out of curiosity, what power combination are you using to get that effect?

i'd think you'd need 10 amplifiers and a pilot light(11 powers), and that makes for a device that's size huge(at 66 size points), you'd need a level 18 steamborg with an intelegence of 22 minimum to have that many powers available

you'd have ten shots before having to refuel. not only that, but each attack would require a successful melee touch attack or waste a shot

average damage for 6d20 would be 63 points,high level magic users have a much larger ability to cause damage, and can effect multiple targets to boot

a delayed blast fireball (7th level spell) from a 18th level wizard does an average of 63 points of damage at 18th level is a garanteed hit (though it allows a reflex save) and an 18th level wizard could have eight of them ready to throw (not to mention the fact that he would have a slew of spells from levels 0 to 6 that could do as much damage)

and the steam borg in question would always be in danger of taking 12d20 damage if the fuel pack of the weapon was ever breached (not to mention everyone near him taking the same)

migh see that weapon mounted on a mech, but i doubt any player would be capable of hauling it around or using it effectively in combat

wow, that became a pretty lengthy post, i was just planning on asking you what you were using ^_^'

Post by Guest »

i evidently wasn't very clear sorry, that's just his slam attack from the hydrolic armor after about nine amplifiers i think, one of my players in my UPCOMING dragonmech game informed me of this, an by his logic it works.... from 1d6 to 1d8, 1d10, 1d12, 1d20, 2d20, etc.... to 6d20 and he could handle the weight at str 20...i never said anythin about light amplifiers. oh yeah, he's only level 10......
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

Anonymous wrote:i evidently wasn't very clear sorry, that's just his slam attack from the hydrolic armor after about nine amplifiers i think, one of my players in my UPCOMING dragonmech game informed me of this, an by his logic it works.... from 1d6 to 1d8, 1d10, 1d12, 1d20, 2d20, etc.... to 6d20 and he could handle the weight at str 20...i never said anythin about light amplifiers. oh yeah, he's only level 10......
amplifiers can't do that

the description clearly states that they effect only non-magical forms of energy, such as heat, light, or electricity (unless you're a steam mage, but that only allows you to effect magical energy as well)
page 55 wrote: The amplifier is a powerful component that accepts energy as an input. It's output is the same energy, but greatly magnified
Any nonmagical source of heat, cold, light, or other energy will work as an input.
a slam attack isn't a form of energy, so that wouldn't work at all

technically, a slam is a form of kinetic energy, but since you can't feed a slam attack through an amplifier (equivalent, i would say, to trying to punch an opponent through the amplifier)

now, a boiler, on the other hand, would add a die of damage(one per boilder added) but, since they are medium size, i wouldn't let a medium sized steamborg carry more than two (since a boiler should probably be considered as large and bulky as a fully loaded backpack for a character to which the boiler is scaled)
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

oh, and i had a reason for posting in this thread beyond the above;

two ideas for new steam powers:

Extender

Cost: 1000
Assistants: 2
Size: small (16)
Weight: 1/2 of subject

An extender works on the same principles as the Folder, except in reverse. It alows an object to extend (such as an arm or leg) to double it's normal length.

the number of extenders added to an object can be doubled to add one time again the base reach to the object (so 2x with 1 extender, 3x with 2, 4x with 4, and so on)

On weapons, this extends the weapon's reach to double normal, (hafted weapons, such as spears, pole arms, axes, and maces only) though any attack made with the weapon past 10 feet incurs a -1 penalty per 10 feet of distance

while an extender is extended, the apparatus can be attacked seperately. the apparatus has a combined HP of 10 per extender, hardness as the material that it is made out of, and loses 5 feet from it's ability to extend per 5 damage dealt to it. in the case of a weapon, a readied action can be taken to attack the apparatus when an attack is made with it. if the apparatus is extended past the new maximum extension distance, it loses the ability to retract to closer than the extra distance it is past this limit
(for instance, if a extender extends something by 20 feet, and it loses 10hp while fully extended, it can now only retract by 10 feet)

weapons that get stuck extended either function as a weapon of it's new length (a short spear fully extended functions as long as a long spear). if the weapon is not the size of any weapon, it gives the user a -4 for non-proficiency

repairing a damaged extender costs 50gp per hitpoint repaired

Filter
cost: 80
Assistants: 0
Size: tiny (4)
Materials: 100gp of extremely fine silk for the filter

A filter removes impurities from any liquid or gas that passes through it.

It can clean 20 gallons of water of impurities such as salt or silt before the filter mush be replaced, or allow one medium sized creature to breath for 8 hours in conditions where breathing would normally be hapmered (or fatal). a large creature can use a filter for half as long before replacing,a dn a small creature twice as long.

Replacing the silk component in a filter is a full round action (provided a replacement silk component is already prepared)

Unlike other steam powers, the filter's size does effect it's performance. each size increase doubles the amount of water that can be cleaned and the amount of air that can be passed through the filter before it must be replaced. the filter's material cost likewise doubles with each size increase(in other words 200gp of fine silk for a small filter, 400gp for a medium filter)

the silk used in the filter can be cleaned for re-use by a process that costs 10% of it's original price(essentially, you must pay 10% of the original cost of the silk component to clean it).

(i had the idea for the extenders from the other thread with the guy that was making doc-oc arms for his coglayer :D the filter just came to me )
Jaxom Faux
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Jaxom Faux »

hey again, i re-read his character sheet, yes, 1 boiler 8 amps to the hydraulic armor, although i COULD state that since hydraulic armor gives you amplified strength (as if you had a 20) THAT by itself could be amplified hence the higher dmg with no boiler needed...just to be fasicius and dammit Reese!!!!! you came up with the extender too and your versions better :twisted: i guess i'll just borrow yours....but dammit don't you dare steal my jump-boots or transformer powers (to be posted eventually???)!!!!!!! lolol Also, nobody has yet answered the question of proper die advancement

BTW, this game is cool!!!!!!!! it'd be cooler if i could get an official response to my questions :wink: :wink:
And Remember kids:
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

a transformer?

actually, i was considering designing one, but i figured it would just be a permutation of the existing folder...

and i'm not sure what i would do to account for the fact that it's "two! two! two items in one!"... buy one of each form and integrate? whatever...

i know, let's make a mech that transforms into a steam powered wagon :twisted: and makes a wierd cybernetic clunky noise durring transformation ;)

i don't see what's not to see about die prograssion, though...

amplifiers increases one die type per amplifyer untill it reaches d20s, at which point, it starts adding dice instead of improving the die type (which makes for a very sudden increase in power, IMO... it's like you hit x amplifyers and the power output increases by a sudden jump after a gradual build up) it's listed in the amplifier description (though it's a bit burried in the text)

boilers don't say anything about increasing damage, but multiply the force a steam engine generates by one more than the number of boilers attatched, which could be read as doubling the numeric effects of the power it is attatched to (the double length arm of a rotor arm, as in the boiler example, for instance)

as a house rule, i would require that anything that doesn't directly take the force from an engine (such as the afore-mentioned rotor arm) would need some re-fitting in order to take advantage of the extre force provided by the addition of a boiler, and the cost of re fitting would be a percentage of the original cost or the cost of a magical enhancement bonus of the same type

generally speaking, i wouldn't allow one to effect the other, since one works to increase pure energy forms, and the other works to produce additional kinetic energy

and the question is moot, since a steamborg's description states that he may only apply steam powers to his own parts, so hydralic armor is out of the question
page 25 wrote:The steamborg can imbue his artificial limbs with steam powers. These powers require the steamborg's steam engine to be fully functional, as they are hard-wired in to the mechanisms of the limbs.
(funny how, whenever i make a short post, it ends up filling a page, and when i intend to make a long post, it's barely a few sentences...)

--edit--

he said he's packing for gen con in another thread (here) so you'll probably have to wait till he's back for an official answer
Jaxom Faux
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Jaxom Faux »

actually i was thinking more the anime Escaflowne transforming from mech to dragonfly with the transformer going as a permutation of the folder but only working for same sized objects hence a gargantuan mech would be a gargantuan dragonfly after transforming.....or a gargantuan tank like car :wink:

as for me not reading my book close enough, sorry, it's a free time thing at the momment, i'm running two campaigns and playing in one and my planning time doesn't include book scouring as yet, i soon plan to play one when the fall semester starts for college though and by then i can probly recite the book to you word for word, untill then, thnx now i don't have a psycho steamborg...but i'm sure he'll think of something else to galvanize me with >8]

i do have to disagree about amps not affecting boilers and hydraulic armor though, as you quoted it accepts "Any nonmagical source of heat, cold, light, or other energy. Other energy such as Steam power or hydraulic power, it's physics.

i still disagree with the die increases....
And Remember kids:
Phasma Felis
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Phasma Felis »

Jaxom Faux wrote:i do have to disagree about amps not affecting boilers and hydraulic armor though, as you quoted it accepts "Any nonmagical source of heat, cold, light, or other energy. Other energy such as Steam power or hydraulic power, it's physics.
It isn't physics, or at least not real-world physics. In the real world, "cold" isn't energy, but the lack thereof. Anyway, this is D&D, where "acid" is also considered energy. I think it's pretty clear from the context that boilers are meant to affect only physical force, while amplifiers affect only "energy" in the fantasy-game sense. Otherwise boilers would be completely redundant.

Trying to apply real-world physics too directly to fantasy will usually get you in trouble. Steam powers have very little connection to real-world engineering--notice how pointing a rotor arm "at the sky" turns it into a helicopter? Ever wonder why a high-level fighter can survive a fall from orbit, or being dipped in lava? It's fantasy, and fairly over-the-top fantasy at that. If you want realistic physics, you probably ought to be playing GURPS. :)
Jaxom Faux wrote:i still disagree with the die increases....
I am with you there. Even mech weapons don't do d20s. I'd recommend capping amplifiers at d12 rather than d20, and just adding dice from there. If that's still too powerful, try going to 2d6 after 1d10, then adding dice, so the progression goes:

1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 1d10, 2d6, 3d6, 4d6, 5d6...

That way 10 amplifiers gets you 8d6 instead of 6d20. Still powerful, but not unreasonably so.

On the other hand, it does make it hard to create mech-sized weapons comparable to the standard ones. Hmm...maybe say that man-portable (size Large and smaller) weapons go from 1d10 to 2d6, while larger weapons go from 1d10 to 1d12?
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

if you're gonna complain about damage dice progression (and i agree, it's too steep a jump to suddenly start adding d20s) that i'll add this:

i don't like how the damage dice from a mech slam attack progresses past Colossal II... up to that point, it's pretty good, but then it starts using alternating d6s and d12s, where half as many d12s are used as if they ahd used d6s in teh first place... it would make more sense to me to progress with straight d6s than to cause the min damage to jump and fall every increase

(i don't exactly hate it, but i think it's kind of silly)

and i was re-reading through mech construction... there's already a system in place for boosting strength (and other stats) and it's pretty clear to me, from the text, that incorporating a boiler would do no good, since the text says that part of boosting mech stats is changing the design to support non 'standard' design types (trying to incorporate systems into a mech that are almost too much for a frame of that size to handle or that can barely support the frame) and there's already a system for determining the cost of such increases describen in mech construction, which has it's own limits

i wonder how much it would cost to mastercraft a mech, and what sort of bonuses you could get for doing so...

--edit--

<_< ... >_>

that should say masterwork, but everything d20 other than D&D uses mastercraft...

and D&D lets you make almost anything masterwork... i was just wondering what part of a mech would get the bonus...
Last edited by Reese on Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jaxom Faux
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Jaxom Faux »

insofar as the die progression goes, i've already decided i'm using D&D 3.5 dmg pg. 27 progressions, it's the latest d20 source anyways, and i can't complain about how logical thier chart looks.

yes you can improve your mech already within guidlines, but i was specifically wondering about incorporating steam powers which seem to break most rules and it would SEEM to work that way for mechs too.

mastercraft? too much d20 modern for you, use enchantments, and i already asked how that would work if only Dear mr goodman would clear up my ignorance about a few things :lol:

i also am fully aware that this is a fantasy setting in an imaginary world with it's own rules, or else a certain frenzied barbarian going -498 hps wouldn't still be alive, but i also think that since it's based on the real world why wouldn't something that would work in the real world not work in game, i'm sure somehow it's possible to boost the power of a boiler by some form of amplification, and yes, i'm aware you could just add more boilers but the question is about combining boilers and amps. i don't feel like getting technical and draggin out the ol physics books so we'll agree to disagree on the amps->boiler issue, at least once again until an official verdict is cast

also gurps is EXTREMELY realistic, that's why i don't play it >8], i like fantasy.
And Remember kids:
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Hi guys,

A lot of questions here, so I'll just start at the top and go through them...
Anonymous wrote:i have a few questions regarding mechs and incorporated steam powers. if i was a mech-devil and wanted to fight unarmed, had a coglayer lackey and had him incorporate a boiler into my mech engine would it mean 1) all physical properties of mech double aka str 30 = 60, speed doubles, etc? 2) all physical bonuses are doubled aka +10 str mod = +20 or 3) damage from physical attacks goes up 1 die ala amplifier?
First, I have to note that steam powers are weird. None of the other normal aspects of d20 work like steam powers. I did that intentionally, as I wanted them to feel different than spells. A coglayer with a "4th level steam power" would just feel like a tweaked wizard. But the consequence is a lot of the rules interaction is subtle and not always obvious. So I apologize for the confusion.

As a preface to your question, please note two points:

1. DragonMech, page 81, third column, under "Steam Powers": "Remember the mech's size. Fitting steam powers to large weapons or objects may require stacking them to reach the right dimensions." Basically, to affect a Large mech, you need a Large boiler. I thought I mentioned this more explicitly elsewhere in the manuscript, but the above quote is the best I can find at the moment.

2. Note the Monster Manual rules for doubling a creature's size, and the resulting effect on Strength (Monster Manual, page 291). I based the mech creation rules on the monster creation rules. The bonuses cap at +8, so if you were to create a boiler large enough to effect a mech, "doubling" the mech's strength would be equivalent (in rules mechanics) to doubling its size, which results in a Str bonus of +2 to +8 depending on the mech's starting size (per the table on MM p. 291).

If a player in my campaign tried to apply a boiler to his mech engine, I'd rule the following:

1. The boiler had to be an equivalent size to the mech. For example, he'd need a Colossal boiler to be strong enough to affect a Colossal mech. A Medium boiler takes 1 steam power, so a Large one takes 2, a Huge one takes 4, a Gargantuan one takes 8, and a Colossal one takes 16. Thus, this requires a fairly high-level coglayer.

2. The effect on the mech's Strength would be the equivalent of "doubling" its effective Strength as if its size had been doubled, baselined against the effect of doubling a monster's size, which results in a +8 bonus to Strength.

Does that help?
anonymous wrote:next, could i enchant my mech to be say +3 armor and how would that effect stats? particularly hardness and hp? also would the bonus only be armor or also effect unarmed attacks?
This is specifically addressed in the Mech Manual, scheduled for November release. Here's an excerpt:

Enchanted Mechs
It is possible to enchant an entire mech the way one enchants a sword or shield. The cost is steep, but the result is a mech with all the enhancement bonuses of both a magical weapon and magical armor (a +2 mech, for example). It is more accurate and deadly in melee, it resists damage, and it can strike creatures that are immune to mundane weapons.
Specifically, an enchanted mech gets its enhancement bonus to attack and damage when attacking without a weapon. Its AC and hardness are both improved by the amount of the enhancement bonus. The mech itself is considered to have its enhancement bonus for the purpose of overcoming damage resistance and similar abilities.
Creating a +2 mech is not unlike making a magic sword. The difference is scale. While a weaponsmith might only need a yard of true steel, the mechsmith needs tons of raw materials, all of it of the finest quality. Every step of the process must be carried out exactly right, meaning that extra oversight is needed. And regardless of the mech’s power source, its creation has many of the same steps needed to make an animated mech (pre-existing mechs cannot be enchanted).
As a result, enchanted mechs are hard to find. Many groups would rather put their resources into making a half-dozen conventional mechs that can serve adequately in the face of mundane threats. But the handful of enchanted mechs in service across Highpoint have uniformly distinguished records against even the toughest foes, and mech designers have begun sharing the secrets of these elaborate constructs.
Preparation is the key to making an enchanted mech. The Mechcraft DC is increased by +5, reflecting the extra care that must be taken, and the labor time is doubled. Moreover, creating an enchantment-quality mech takes twice as many overseers as usual. Mindless laborers, like undead and constructs, are not capable of assisting on work this detailed.
Not only does this labor raise the mech’s cost and slow its construction, the enchantment process adds time and expense. An extra set of rituals must be performed once construction is complete. This ritual time is determined by the mech’s size, using the chart for constructing animated mechs; these rituals are independent of any needed to create an animated or undead mech.
Cost, however, is the most jarring factor. First, an enchanted mech’s materials cost 10 times as much gold as an ordinary mech (no extra corpses are needed for an undead mech). This raises the base cost, which can have an affect on improvements down the line. Enchanting a mech also involves a fixed extra cost covering special parts, unusual materials, and any necessary research. This is added in after the base cost is calculated.
This fixed cost is based on two factors: the enhancement bonus provided, and the size of the mech. As with other magic items, the bonus can only go to +5. The costs indicated are for a Large mech. This amount doubles for every increase in size increment (so a Colossal mech requires 8 times the amount below).
+1 = 75,000 gp
+2 = 300,000 gp
+3 = 750,000 gp
+4 = 1,250,000 gp
+5 = 2,000,000 gp
As with any magic armament, the creator must also spend 1/25 the mech’s total cost in XP. This excludes the cost of any weapons or other accessories, as they are not enchanted with the rest of the mech. Fortunately for the mech designer, others can contribute XP to this cause. When the final rituals are performed, as many individuals as qualify can share in the XP cost, dividing it equally among themselves. These individuals must all have been participating in the entire building process, and must have the Combine Spell feat.
Anything that takes PU from the mech is considered a separate item for the purpose of this enchantment, whereas traits are covered by it. For instance, a +1 mech with combat spikes and a battleaxe in place of its arm gets a +1 to attack and damage with its spikes, but still doesn’t get the +1 bonus with the battleaxe. Exceptions may exist, but they are rare and entirely at the GM’s discretion.
An animated mech with an enhancement bonus cannot have magic immunity. The enhancement bonus is affected by dispel magic just as any other magic item, but the dispel must be capable of affecting the entire mech via the Combine Spell feat or similar means. So far nobody has figured out how to create an enchanted mech that has other weaponlike traits – the magic permeates the entire construct, so a flaming mech would have fiery doors, floors, and control panels. Other spell-like abilities can still be embedded in the mech at their normal cost.
Strong transmutation; CL 20; Craft Arms and Armor, Craft Magical Mech, magic weapon or magic fang.

Anonymous wrote:also, mech sizing steam powers wasn't worded too well (or i just don't comprehend too well :P), do i take it that they go up by the appropiate size number, ex. animator is small for medium creature, would be huge for colosal mech?
I'll take the hit; they weren't worded well. :) We actually had a lot of this come up in playtesting the Shardsfall Quest but at that point it was too late to change the core book's manuscript so que sera, que sera. I have to admit that there's something of a contradiction in the rules ... the table on page 55 came about when one of the playtesters complained that his halfling coglayer was carrying around too heavy of a load. But that table also states that a Gargantuan-sized steam power can be built at additional cost seemingly without taking up any extra steam power slots. (As I mentioned above, generally I required doubling of steam power slots to build steam powers that affected ever-larger targets.) Here's the way to read it. The table on page 55 is for sizing a steam power without increasing its power output or general effectiveness. For example, a pilot light needs a much bigger handle for a giant to use it than if a halfling used it. This requires more raw materials, takes longer to build, etc. But the power output remains the same. Only by expending an extra steam power does the power output also increase. A giant coglayer could spend 1 steam power on a Gargantuan boiler (costing x3 gp and weighing x4 lbs) but he still would have to expend 8 steam power slots for that Gargantuan boiler to actually affect a Gargantuan mech (and, since he built it larger, the Gargantuan boiler built by a giant off a baseline size of Gargantuan would actually be size Colossal III and still cost x3 and weigh x4).

Umm... does that make sense?
Anonymous wrote:also the mech with a magi-missle wand, how's that work, the mech can't cast it, does the mech jockey? same for rodwalker, does every elf have 1 level of wizzy and somehow translate that through their mech or does it "just work"?
Early on it "just worked" but later on we started requiring a level of wizard or Use Magic Device. It's up to you. One thing I'd do differently, if I had to do it over again, is give elven mech jockeys some sort of quasi-mage ability to use magic items, and perhaps give all mech jockeys the class skill of Use Magic Device.

The Mech Manual also includes a new magic item that addresses this concern for some of its mechs -- basically a "casting device" that lets anyone use a magic item.
Anonymous wrote:the mech building section mentions being able to make mechs with greater stats but that sometimes doesn't work out right, the phys abilities is fine but better saves you usually go down size not up, and also was said you could build more manueverable mechs but doesn't say how. Also i think the price for building an adamantine armored mech is low but i won't complain :P
Hmmm... yeah, maybe that adamantine mech is too cheap. :)

The details on more maneuverable mechs are indeed omitted. I treat a change in maneuverability class as one full incremental improvement, per the sidebar on page 84.

Let me know if I missed again. I'll slowly get to all these questions...[/i]
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

One more thing I missed: die progression.

Looks like you guys found the amplifier progression. The basis behind that is comparable power levels for coglayers and other classes. A 20th level wizard can cast 4 disintegrate spells per day. Each disintegrate does 40d6 damage, or a max of 240 points of damage. A coglayer with a pilot light needs a total of 16 amplifiers to hit a max of 240 damage (via 12d20). That's 17 steam powers in total devoted to a single weapon. This requires a coglayer of at least 20th level with at least a 12 Int. The coglayer's weapon can be used multiple times per day, but it has no range. The wizard's disintegrate spell has a range, can be used 4/day, and is only one small part of a much, much larger repertoire (including such things as wish spells).

If you use a lower die progression, the 20th level coglayer ends up with a much lower damage potential than the 20th level wizard.

That's the idea. It's probably not perfect, but the more you guys play it and give feedback, the more accurate it will become.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Jaxom Faux
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Jaxom Faux »

Woooooohooooooo! our own forum thnx! also thanks a bunch for replying to my barrage of questions, you did a good job about explaining.

1) well, seeings as how i now know the reason for you die progress on the amp, i guess i won't complain anymore, i'll just be sure to count very carefully the number of steam powers. I'll get back to you after i have a chance to actually gm a campaign (too damn busy as yet)

2) so i assume a boiler added to a steamborg would make it's strength jump one size category aka +8 to large? what if he somehow adds two? is it +16? (sorry i don' t have my book at the momment to double check)

3) no enchanted mech for me after all, that's hella expensive but i figured it should be.

4) i beleive i follow you on the steam power sizes now :P

5) the casting device sounds interesting, i guess i'll getta see it when i buy the next book :P

6) no no no!!!!! don't take away my cheap adamantine mech!!!!!!!! :lol:

New question!, the mechidextrious feat is supposed to replace and subsume two wep fighting for mech jockeys....so does that mean it BY ITESELF replaces the entire 2-wep fighting chain of feats, or their'll be a chain of mechidextrious feats to cover additional "off-weapon" attacks?

also, just to finish a debate, can an amp stack on a boiler?

thanks again for replying, i think it makes the world a little more lively to know exactly what's possible.
And Remember kids:
Phasma Felis
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Phasma Felis »

Reese wrote:if you're gonna complain about damage dice progression (and i agree, it's too steep a jump to suddenly start adding d20s) that i'll add this:

i don't like how the damage dice from a mech slam attack progresses past Colossal II... up to that point, it's pretty good, but then it starts using alternating d6s and d12s, where half as many d12s are used as if they ahd used d6s in teh first place... it would make more sense to me to progress with straight d6s than to cause the min damage to jump and fall every increase

(i don't exactly hate it, but i think it's kind of silly)
I also thought that was a little wonky. It's not a major problem, it just looks odd.
Reese wrote:i wonder how much it would cost to mastercraft a mech, and what sort of bonuses you could get for doing so...
Mastercrafting generally equates to "making something better, more expensive, and harder to build." I'd say this is equivalent to making a mech with lots of stat improvements and specialized traits. Mechs have so many different stats that there's no one way to improve them, unlike a sword or a suit of armor. If you had to do it, though, I'd say it would give you a flat +1 to hit and +2 to Mech Pilot checks.
Jaxom Faux wrote:insofar as the die progression goes, i've already decided i'm using D&D 3.5 dmg pg. 27 progressions, it's the latest d20 source anyways, and i can't complain about how logical thier chart looks.
So it goes 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 2d6, 4d6, 6d6, 8d6? And presumably advances by 2d6 each level after that. Sounds reasonable. Though Mr. Goodman's comparison to Disintegrate damage makes some sense, as well.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

I'm glad this is helping to clarify some stuff!
Jaxom Faux wrote:2) so i assume a boiler added to a steamborg would make it's strength jump one size category aka +8 to large? what if he somehow adds two? is it +16? (sorry i don' t have my book at the momment to double check)
Actually, I didn't answer that carefully. I should have closed that comment by saying, "A boiler increases Strength as if the mech's size has doubled. Refer to the individual mech type tables to determine the Strength effect of doubling a mech's size." So, for example, the tabel on page 75 of DragonMech shows that a Colossal IV steam-powered mech has a Strength of 42, and Colossal V has Strength 46, so a boiler added to a Colossal IV steam-powered mech would make its Strength 46. Two boilers would up to the Strength of a City-mech A, or 50.

Hopefully that finally makes sense! The reference to the MM was just to show you what part of the core rules I was basing this stuff on. Mechs have incremental jumps of +4 rather than +8. +8 results in some pretty crazy Strength scores at the larger sizes. (In theory, if you added boilers to a monster (steamborg dragon, anyone?) it would give you the monster manual incremental increase in Strength.)
Jaxom Faux wrote:New question!, the mechidextrious feat is supposed to replace and subsume two wep fighting for mech jockeys....so does that mean it BY ITESELF replaces the entire 2-wep fighting chain of feats, or their'll be a chain of mechidextrious feats to cover additional "off-weapon" attacks?
By itself, the Mechidextrous feat replaces the whole 2-weapon chain when it comes to mechs. It's basically mandatory that any decent mech pilot be able to fight two-handed with a mech. Devoting more feats to it would detract from other mech feats and make less cool mech jockeys at high levels, at least in my opinion. If you wanted a mech campaign with lower power levels, you could break Mechidextrous into multiple feats and slow down how long it takes to become a good two-handed mech combatant.
Jaxom Faux wrote:also, just to finish a debate, can an amp stack on a boiler?
Nope -- amplifiers are for energy, boilers are for physical outputs.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Phasma Felis wrote:Though Mr. Goodman's comparison to Disintegrate damage makes some sense, as well.
Mr. Goodman? Is my dad posting here? ;)

Seriously, guys, "Joseph" is fine!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Jaxom Faux
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Jaxom Faux »

lol, thnx for the replies "jo" :wink:
And Remember kids:
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

got another question that looks like it should fit in this thread...

what's up with clockwork puppets?

the two described in the monsters section, in the back of the book, have different stats than the chart in the steam powers section says they should

medium puppet:
11hp, slam +3 melee

Warder (medium puppet):
31hp, slam +2 melee

large puppet:
17ac, 16hp, slam +7 melee

Shocker (large puppet)
15ac, 46hp, slam +5 melee

the ones in the back are significantly tougher, though they have worse attack bonuses (and the shocker is easier to hit) than the stats from the front of the book...

also, it seems to me that a clockwork puppet's stats should also vary slightly is one is constructed to immitate non-humanoid creatures... (faster movement for quadrapedal puppets at the expense of hands to use)

i was thinking that, maybe, a clockwork puppet shouldn't be a steam power and, instead, should be an ability akin to golem construction for wizards (or a type of mech-like construction that requires steam powers to run it based on it's size and armaments...)

i'm making a coglayer for an up-coming campaign, and i was considering making a clockwork puppet (or mix of multiple puppets) as part of my starting steam powers, oterwise i don't think i would have noticed this

on the same vein, i think there should be a complexity limit on coglayer devices; possibly restricting the number of components allowed in a single device at lower levels, otherwise, a low-level coglayer could create an over-powered steam device (hey, an 18 intelegence coglayer could have 8 powers at first level if he takes the gearhead feat, that could translate into some serious damage, especially for a 1st level character, if they do one attack method, one energy type, and six amplifiers (5d4 damage for a spark generator, 2d20 for a pilot light))

something like "coglayer class levels +2" steam powers per device maximum, maybe (counting steamborg and steam mage levels as half coglayer levels, since a steam borg gains steam powers more slowly, and gear wright as full levels, since it's more-or-less a specialization of coglayer)
Namfoodle "Sparklediver" Raulnor
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Reese wrote:what's up with clockwork puppets?

the two described in the monsters section, in the back of the book, have different stats than the chart in the steam powers section says they should
That's probably my fault. I kept going back and changing the stats for clockwork puppets in the steam power description. I probably forgot to change them in the monster stats. You can still use the monster stats as written (just call them variants or souped-up versions).
Reese wrote:also, it seems to me that a clockwork puppet's stats should also vary slightly is one is constructed to immitate non-humanoid creatures... (faster movement for quadrapedal puppets at the expense of hands to use)
That's a cool idea. Hmmm... maybe something to cover in an upcoming book... :)
Reese wrote:on the same vein, i think there should be a complexity limit on coglayer devices; possibly restricting the number of components allowed in a single device at lower levels, otherwise, a low-level coglayer could create an over-powered steam device (hey, an 18 intelegence coglayer could have 8 powers at first level if he takes the gearhead feat, that could translate into some serious damage, especially for a 1st level character, if they do one attack method, one energy type, and six amplifiers (5d4 damage for a spark generator, 2d20 for a pilot light))

something like "coglayer class levels +2" steam powers per device maximum, maybe (counting steamborg and steam mage levels as half coglayer levels, since a steam borg gains steam powers more slowly, and gear wright as full levels, since it's more-or-less a specialization of coglayer)
Yeah, that might be a good idea. Nobody tried to power-game it that badly in my campaign, but it looks like the potential is definitely there if someone wanted to open up that hole.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com

Return to “DragonMech”