Steam power combinations

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

Arek
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Arek »

Laughingcarp wrote:Is that for a solid (dense) cube, or just six even sides to form a box?

Otherwise, seems whoever wrote the description of the force generator bungled the numbers a little.
It's six even sides to form a solid box. The standard description is that a Force generator generates a sheet of Force one inch thick, which can be shaped into....uh...shapes that can be 3D or just other poygons

You have to summon up some of that geometry they taught you to figure out the exact sizes of the shapes, though. I worked out walls, squares, rings, spheres, cubes, a 10x10x5 bin with an open side...Even stairs. And the area of the "disc" shape was about twenty feet across.

I wouldn't say they bungled the numbers. More like, simplified them for ease of use.

Anyway, if you thick about it, a disc three and a half feet across is a pretty big flat area.
Laughingcarp
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Laughingcarp »

Ok cool. Yeah, I'm actually beyond miserable at math. Anything past a give-or-take grade 9 level and I'm lost.

So I'd definitely need at least one amp, probably two, for the firestarter's guardian angel (I'm thinking large backpack sized?)
The only difference between a mage and a young boy’s pockets is that you’ll find more candy in the child’s
-someone not me
Arek
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Arek »

Laughingcarp wrote:Ok cool. Yeah, I'm actually beyond miserable at math. Anything past a give-or-take grade 9 level and I'm lost.

So I'd definitely need at least one amp, probably two, for the firestarter's guardian angel (I'm thinking large backpack sized?)
Assuming it isn't totally wrapped...You should just about cover it with just the Force Generator. But it's a 2000 gp insurance policy, so you might as well get some more use out of it.
Arek
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Arek »

Here's some more steam power ruminations:

Combine a light generator with that prism steampower from Steam Warrior to make a tightly focused, damaging beam of light. Put amps on it to make it more intense, put a pump on it to make it into a beam, or use a focuser to make a lightsaber. Damage scales like a spark generator, unless you don't want it to.
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

A new steam power I'v thought would be interesting is what I call the Maintainer, When part of a steam power, it allows the power to go 1 week between coglayer maintenance, instead of 1 day.
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

Far Shooter+ranger+muffler+amplifier= Silenced Sniper Rifle.
Arek
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Arek »

Raptor wrote:Far Shooter+ranger+muffler+amplifier= Silenced Sniper Rifle.
Is there a listed muffler power, or is that one you just whipped up?

Anyway, what benefits would it have? Maybe they'd be unable to discern the direction the shot came from...
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

Its one of the new steam powers listed in Steam Warriors (there are actually more steam powers in it than the base book). It would give a +20 to the listen DC to detect the device operating.
kaikai
Gongfarmer

Post by kaikai »

ive been working on trying to fix up a rotorarm to work as some kind of flying machine.
rotorarm + amplifier, boiler, fin.

unless i'm wrong, which i probably am.. this makes something with a lift of 120lbs?
there has to be a better way to make some kind of flying machine, any ideas?
Arek
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Arek »

kaikai wrote:ive been working on trying to fix up a rotorarm to work as some kind of flying machine.
rotorarm + amplifier, boiler, fin.

unless i'm wrong, which i probably am.. this makes something with a lift of 120lbs?
there has to be a better way to make some kind of flying machine, any ideas?
Maybe if you built a bigger-than-usual rotor arm and put a boiler and a flywheel on it?

It'd help if you make gnome or halfling coglayer.[/i]
kaikai
Gongfarmer

Post by kaikai »

i wasnt sure about the flywheel.. since it only improves how fast something operates, it doesnt improve the output..
in my mind, output is lift, at least for this item.
and while yes, if the rotor spins faster it should create more lift.. i dunno.
how do you feel about the usage of the flywheel to achive extra lift?

also, should the weight of the invention be factored into the lift provided?
i would add my character weight, plus items, plus the weight of the individual parts of the invention, minus the rotor arm, since i assume the lift amount that is listed would factor the weight of its own supplying part.
just like a lantern includes information of its area of illumination.
Arek
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Arek »

kaikai wrote:i wasnt sure about the flywheel.. since it only improves how fast something operates, it doesnt improve the output..
in my mind, output is lift, at least for this item.
and while yes, if the rotor spins faster it should create more lift.. i dunno.
how do you feel about the usage of the flywheel to achive extra lift?

also, should the weight of the invention be factored into the lift provided?
i would add my character weight, plus items, plus the weight of the individual parts of the invention, minus the rotor arm, since i assume the lift amount that is listed would factor the weight of its own supplying part.
just like a lantern includes information of its area of illumination.
I'd actually not count the weight of the rig. I mean, any lift it provides is obviously over and beyond negating its own weight, and it's slightly more generous to the character who builds such a rig.

Large Rotor Arm + Boiler sounds like it'd work for me.

Return to “DragonMech”