what is next for dragonmech?

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

Lord Nat
Ill-Fated Peasant

what is next for dragonmech?

Post by Lord Nat »

I am just wondering what is coming up next in the dragonmech line.

More info on the other areas of the world?
More on the deep deep underground?
The Moon it's self?
Ken Hart
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Ken Hart »

Lord Nat,

Thanks for the question. The latest release, Almanac of the Endless Traders, covered a lot of fascinating, still-to-be-explored areas of Highpoint, and we hope it'll encourage GMs to create adventures in some of those regions and flesh them out even more. Between it and the other setting sourcebooks, there's plenty of material to keep a DragonMech campaign running for some time.

In the upcoming months, you may see some online PDF titles (something Joseph and I discussed recently). And we'll continue to run DragonMech events at conventions when possible. (In fact, Ye Editor will run a DragonMech game at Double Exposure's Dreamation in New Jersey next month.)

If you actually run out of places to explore or if you have questions about some of the regions we've already mentioned, feel free to post here. Many of the DragonMech creators are online as well, and we'll be happy to give you some adventure ideas!

--Ken
DCC, DragonMech, Etherscope editor
Writer: "Madness at the Mutilated Oak," DCC #48: The Adventure Continues;
DCC #52: Chronicle of the Fiend

"It really is the height of pessimism to have a hat lined with chain mail." --Mrs. Peel
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

I make sure to pester Joseph with new ideas on a regular basis. I really want a shot at tweaking the mech creation rules. I think creating modules to make it easier for players to create mechs is a good way to go - and to design a spreadsheet or autocalculator would help!

I'm still reading the Almanac of Endless Traders, which I didn't work on (cry) and it's got some really neat stuff in it.

Mark Charke
Lord Nat
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Lord Nat »

Charke wrote:I make sure to pester Joseph with new ideas on a regular basis. I really want a shot at tweaking the mech creation rules. I think creating modules to make it easier for players to create mechs is a good way to go - and to design a spreadsheet or autocalculator would help!

I'm still reading the Almanac of Endless Traders, which I didn't work on (cry) and it's got some really neat stuff in it.

Mark Charke
Do you mean Modules as in mech parts that can be slaped onto the core frame to build your mech?

Like using a Two leg, two arm, human iron frame, then tossing a Flame arm for a ranged attack, then a task arm on the right side for a hand.
Then stuff like two light legs with less hardness but boosts your speed some?

Like I was working on a system a little like that my self >.>

Building a much out of parts so it is a lot more easy to build one from scrach and to add on parts you get off mechs you fight.

Like the cool attack that mech did?
Steal the arm and slap it on your own!
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

Yes and no. The rules for mech creation are complex. I wanted to build and price components for the players so they have to do less work when designing a mech.

For each size category there are a number of elements that remain the same for every mech, or for every mech of a certain type. You could reduce the mech creation process to flash cards. Heres an example.

Component X
Cost, Days of Work, Skill DC
Small
Medium
Large
Collosal
etc

You pick the size and type and you get a set of flash card options and just toss them in a pile and you've got a mech. Well it sounds simple....

It would mean a tremendous amount of work for the writer, streamlining everything but it would turn the whole mech creation process into a plug and play system. Someone good with Excel could probably whip up the whole system with a few formulas. I'll have to get my hands on excel...

Mark Charke
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

Hey Matt...I'm pretty decent with Excel...if you're still thinking about this about a month from now I'll be finished up with my current project, I may be able to help out a bit.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

I was actually just planning on doing it myself. I posted it hoping Mr. Goodman would come screaming over and yell "thats a great idea" and pay me a million, no a billion, dollars to do it. (Can you tell I just saw Superman Returns, again, on DVD?)

With interest in mind though, it might not hurt to hammer out a proposal to Joseph. When I get some time I'll scratch out an example of what I was thinking about.

Mark Charke

Return to “DragonMech”