MECH AS PSYCRISTAL

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

Gnomentinkerer
Ill-Fated Peasant

MECH AS PSYCRISTAL

Post by Gnomentinkerer »

So here is my question, (mind you I only have the original Dragon book guide) I read the prevew of the mech manual and saw the crystalin mech. so heres my question can a psyon use a crystalin mech (asuming that he takes his first level of psyon as he creates the crystalin mech) as his psycristal???

if so there are many many implicatinons.

mind you I am looking for a technical ruleing not a ruling on weather it sould or sould not be alowed.
Gnomentinkerer
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Gnomentinkerer »

COME ON SOMEONE PLEAS ANSWAR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
walrusjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: MECH AS PSYCRISTAL

Post by walrusjester »

Gnomentinkerer wrote:So here is my question, (mind you I only have the original Dragon book guide) I read the prevew of the mech manual and saw the crystalin mech. so heres my question can a psyon use a crystalin mech (asuming that he takes his first level of psyon as he creates the crystalin mech) as his psycristal???

if so there are many many implicatinons.

mind you I am looking for a technical ruleing not a ruling on weather it sould or sould not be alowed.
The crystalline mech in the Mech Manual is a one-of-a-kind creation. It was crafted by a group of psionicists (who apparently died as a result), and therefore isn't available for use as a psi-crystal. We've refrained from making too many psi-oriented DragonMech items, as relatively few games use that rule set. There are a couple things for psionics in the book Steam Warriors, though.
DragonMech line developer, freelance writer, tall guy named Matt.
Gnomentinkerer
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Gnomentinkerer »

ok thank you for answaring me, but that doesnt really answare my question,

as I said at the bottom of my first post I am looking for a techincal yes or no and an explanation of that answare, and not a should.

sorry i dnot meen to seem a hard ass.

thank you in advance vary mutch.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Keep in mind that with all roleplaying games, there really aren't any firm "yes"es or "no"s. If the GM (and to some extent the players) of a game wants something to work a particular way, then that's how they work regardless of what it may say in the rule book or what someone says on a message board.

However, "isn't available for use as a psi-crystal" sounds pretty much like a "no" to me.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
walrusjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by walrusjester »

Mythfish is right - the crystal mech in the Mech Manual is not usable as a psi-crystal. As we haven't released rules on creating your own crystal mechs, Mythfish is also right that it's a GM's call. I wouldn't allow it in my games unless the player had a compelling story-based justification for something so unusual; I'm crazy like that.

But that doesn't entirely answer your question. We do have rules on turning mechs into magic items - you can have a +2 frost mech, which is kind of cool. I'm blanking on whether the rules are in Mech Manual or Steam Warriors. Regardless, it's got descriptions and conversion charts for giving your mech magical abilities. These could be adapted fairly easily for use with psi-items. In terms of game mechanics, if a mech can become a magic item, it should also be possible for it to become a psionic item if it meets the proper condition. But it would require some homework on your part, and I strongly suggest that a GM review such things carefully to see how they impact game balance. Does that clarify at all?
DragonMech line developer, freelance writer, tall guy named Matt.
Ken Hart
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Ken Hart »

walrusjester wrote:We do have rules on turning mechs into magic items - you can have a +2 frost mech, which is kind of cool. I'm blanking on whether the rules are in Mech Manual or Steam Warriors.
They're in the Elven Mechs chapter of Mech Manual.

--Ken
DCC, DragonMech, Etherscope editor
Writer: "Madness at the Mutilated Oak," DCC #48: The Adventure Continues;
DCC #52: Chronicle of the Fiend

"It really is the height of pessimism to have a hat lined with chain mail." --Mrs. Peel

Return to “DragonMech”