Many questions about steam powers, particularly rotor flight

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

davidw
Ill-Fated Peasant

Many questions about steam powers, particularly rotor flight

Post by davidw »

I’m somewhat confused about flying mechs and steampower rotor arms. A rotor arm is described as being able to provide lift for 40 lbs. (presumably its own weight of 10 lbs counts against this) at a speed of 40 ft. Non-flying creatures fly with clumsy maneuverability, but can spend 1 skill point to improve their maneuverability, up to good. Steam Warriors table 6-7 (page119) states that the speed should be 10 ft. (clumsy). Which is correct? Can characters spend skill points to improve their flight maneuverability with the other flight methods given on table 6-7? If so, is the limit “good”, or +3 categories?

Will a flywheel increase the speed of rotor-powered flight?

Can flying mechs/steam powers hustle (x2 move), run (x4 move)? The Monster Manual says creatures with natural flight can run if they fly in a straight line.

I assume the Falcon’s winged flight ability (mech manual 21) supersede table 6-7 where they may conflict. I do have a question about the falcon, however. A mech using winged flight must be clockwork-powered, but requires 5x normal fuel. Clockwork mechs consume negligible fuel, so this seems a strange restriction. Could a reasonable interpretation be that such a mech’s spring must be wound 5x as often?

Can mech weapons of personal scale (a personal buzzsaw for example) be mounted on an iron jacket? Oh, and I assume that iron jackets do not require metal legs in order to walk.

How much damage does an iron arm or hydraulic arm do with unarmed strikes?

A pilot light’s fuel source holds enough fuel for “10 shots”. This makes sense if the PL is combined with a pump to form a flamethrower, but what does it mean generally? Is a pilot light/pump flamethrower always on (presumably for 10 rounds) if it lacks a nozzle? Does the user of such a weapon make ranged touch attacks (like the Scorching Ray spell)?
Gnomentinkerer
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Gnomentinkerer »

wow I really wish i knew any of that as well
walrusjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Many questions about steam powers, particularly rotor fl

Post by walrusjester »

davidw wrote:I’m somewhat confused about flying mechs and steampower rotor arms. A rotor arm is described as being able to provide lift for 40 lbs. (presumably its own weight of 10 lbs counts against this) at a speed of 40 ft. Non-flying creatures fly with clumsy maneuverability, but can spend 1 skill point to improve their maneuverability, up to good. Steam Warriors table 6-7 (page119) states that the speed should be 10 ft. (clumsy). Which is correct? Can characters spend skill points to improve their flight maneuverability with the other flight methods given on table 6-7? If so, is the limit “good”, or +3 categories?

Will a flywheel increase the speed of rotor-powered flight?

Can flying mechs/steam powers hustle (x2 move), run (x4 move)? The Monster Manual says creatures with natural flight can run if they fly in a straight line.

I assume the Falcon’s winged flight ability (mech manual 21) supersede table 6-7 where they may conflict. I do have a question about the falcon, however. A mech using winged flight must be clockwork-powered, but requires 5x normal fuel. Clockwork mechs consume negligible fuel, so this seems a strange restriction. Could a reasonable interpretation be that such a mech’s spring must be wound 5x as often?
The Steam Warriors table is a misprint; the original speed of 40 feet (clumsy) is correct. The maneuverability limit I'd impose is +3 categories.

Any time you have steam powers, you have a certain element of GM arbitration - I'd allow a flywheel to increase rotor-powered flight in increments of 1/2 the original base speed. Your mileage may vary.

Flying mechs can hustle and run, while people using steam powers to fly can't. Steam powers don't count as "natural flight."

Yes, the Falcon is a special case. The unique mechs often have abilities beyond what ordinary mechs can achieve, reflecting the inspired insanity of Highpoint's coglayers. And your interpretation of the fuel/spring needs of clockwork mechs is a good one.
DragonMech line developer, freelance writer, tall guy named Matt.

Return to “DragonMech”