Mysterial Class - Fey - Pixie Support

Comments on our other product lines: Dungeon Alphabet, Monster Alphabet, Cthulhu Alphabet, How to Write Adventure Modules That Don't Suck, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

papaholdy
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Mysterial Class - Fey - Pixie Support

Post by papaholdy »

I want to creat a pixie PC. I want top begin the process from level 1

I am having problems figuring out how to do it with the Mysterial class. Particularly at first level. I assume you get no skill choices. Help! The breakout in the CGtF is helpful, but not enough.

I'm dense I need it spelled out.
RSKennan
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by RSKennan »

Hi Papaholdy,

Thanks for using the book. This is complex, so forgive me for correcting mistakes in the book. It was a hard book to write for me.

To get as close to a pixie as possible using the CG to fey;

Start with a puck, which gives you +4 dex, -2 Wis, and -6 Str, and +2 to Reflex and Will saves.

You also get size small, and a base movement of 30.

Take 4 levels of Mysterial, which gives you +24 to any attributes, apply +2 to Str (for -4) +2 to Dex (for +8 ), +6 to Int (for +6), +6 to Wis (for +4), and +6 to Cha (for +6). The puck race entry is wrong- you only get +4 dex with this race.

Those four levels also grant 4 fey bonus feats, and 1/2 HD. (The mysterial class should not grant an extra ½ HD at third and beyond, that was a mistake I left in.)

Those four fey feats are converted into magic weave feats. You need 10 magic weave feats for a pixie without irresistible dance or 11 with. This means either 3 or four more levels of Mysterial with 6 points of ability bonuses converted to feats on each level, as the rules permit.

For the rest of the abilities, use the 80 (or 88 ) points of weight that the 10 (or 11) magic weave feats give you. Note that this includes the pixies “racial” bonuses to ability scores… +1 has a weight of 1, +2 weighs 2, etc.

Note that you'll have an extra feat, that you can use for dodge.

So yes, your observation is right; as it stands, a bog standard pixie does not get skill points, per se, but magic weave can cover that area.

I hope that helps, and let me know if you have any other questions.
Proud Graduate of Parallel University.
papaholdy
Far-Sighted Wanderer

More questions on Fey

Post by papaholdy »

Hey,

Thanks' Scott! A few other questions and comments. First I LOVE the book and want to play fey characters in a normal D&D style setting. What advice can you offer to help maintain balance and not piss off the DM? If you were a DM how would you approach a fey being too powerful? What concessions work adjustment would you make? Second, the law of true cycle. How can I make this work in a "normal" D&D game? If I heal a party member, and then turn around and heal the monster or wound another ally, it just won't fly. I won't be in the party long, and then why bother being fey? Don't get me wrong, I love the challenges of role-playing something offbeat and I love all of the concepts in the book, this is a hard rule to maintain in a "normal" non-fey-focused game. Also I find the three laws of the true cycle confusing somewhat confusing. Any help their would be appreciated. Next, did you play test the effectiveness of fey characters leveling using Mysterial during an actual campaign? Was it effective? I worry that if I want to be a pixie, I will be naked until 6th level, when all the investments begin to pay off.

Also, since you wrote the book, have you wished you changed anything to make it more balanced or better? If so is there anything you would like to pass along?

Lastly, what ever happened to future Morningstar releases? I really liked the Morningstar book and was hoping to see more.

-Scott H.

Return to “System Neutral Products and More”