Complete Guide to Fey

Comments on our other product lines: Dungeon Alphabet, Monster Alphabet, Cthulhu Alphabet, How to Write Adventure Modules That Don't Suck, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Derek

Complete Guide to Fey

Post by Derek »

Is it out yet?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Not yet! It is behind schedule and will probably be available in March. The final art should be in by the middle of this month, then it will go to press late February and be back from the printer (hopefully) by late March. Sorry for the delay... but I'll be sure to post when it's available.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Derek

Post by Derek »

Since it hasn't been mentioned on the front page yet, CCtF is out now at rpgnow

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=4555

Yay!
qstor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by qstor »

I just ordered one today. Looks good.

Mike
"I waste it with my Hackmaster +12" Dave KODT

Twitter: @qstor2
Banshee

Post by Banshee »

I just picked up the Complete Guide to Fey and have to say I'm pretty impressed. This is my first Goodman Games purchase, and I like what I see in here.

I do have some questions that I hope could be answered, regarding some of the material in the book..

1-The Empyrean class....you show spells/day, and mention that they are spontaneous casters....but how many spells do they get to know? Can they learn any of the spells from their spell-list or are they limited like a sorcerer in terms of how many they can learn?

2-What spell list does an Empyrean use? The Fey Spells Master list? Or the Fey Spells by host lists?

3-Are the Fey races balanced against regular PC races, or should they be given EL's? What about the classes?

4-Could the Mysterial class be taken by regular PC's?

5-In the book, it discusses the fact that the Fey basically die when slain....unless a Rememberer to which they are tied changes the rules for that world or group of Fey. Many other books, such as Van Richten's Guide to Fey, posit that when Fey are slain, they actually reform in some new few shape.....not always remembering what they used to be. Could a Rememberer for a particular world set things that way?

6-How abstract can a Cynosure be? It seems like they're fairly restrictive....not all fey seem bound to a particular woodland etc......like pixies, grigs, etc. who can travel. This also comes into play when considering Fey PCs....a Cynosure could mean they couldn't travel with other party members.

7-Do all Fey belong to a Host, and gain access to that Host's abilities?

8-Have you considered using banes, such as those in Van Richten's Guide to the Fey, and Faeries by Bastion Press to offset abilities granted by some of those fey feats? Like inability to enter churches, being forced to step around particular objects, etc.?

9-Are fey always bound to the five laws, no matter what their host or race is?

10-Can a fey change race? ie. could a puck evolve into a shee?

11-The Gift spell seems a little powerful. Theoretically, a 20th lvl Fey wizard could give a +10 Inherent bonus to an ability. It is unclear what XP cost is attached though. It says 5000 xp times the square of the bonus. So, if you give a +9 bonus, is the cost 15,000 xp? Or is it 405,000 xp? I would think it's the first....but it's not written clearly, as it doesn't say "square root".

12-How strict are the Laws? In the same paragraph, it seems to indicate that Fey can cast spells and such, that violate the laws, without interference. But then the next sentence says this can lead to the Fey's demise. So if a Fey casts a sleep spell on some orcs, or polymorphs an ogre into a deer, then he's going to reach a crux? Seems like this basically means they can't do anything....or that it's impossible to *not* belong to the Court of Twilight instead of the other two.

Banshee
RSKennan
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by RSKennan »

Hey Banshee, I answered most of the questions on the EN world Forum :

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=128483

...but I notice there are a couple that are new to this thread. Let me know if this makes more sense.

#11: The intent is in fact : inherent bonus squared x 5000 xp , not the square root of the bonus. The ‘bonus squared’ might have been a more lucid way to put it. It’s meant as a spell that would be given to otherwise un-extraordinary mortals; a +2 inherent bonus or so (20,000 XP) is a big deal to them, and could alter their lives completely. Otherwise, it would in fact be too powerful in my opinion.

A Fey caster could give a +10, but they would lose 500,000 xp, which would require the Supernatural Altruism feat and drop a 20th level caster to 17th level. Few sane PCs would do that IMO- that kind of use is more intended for a caring NPC fey that might want to allow an otherwise disabled child to lead a normal life. Note that as explained below, even though the gift spell has an instantaneous duration, it does not bring down a crux; it’s a fey spell, and it helps the True Cycle in it’s goals- it removes an obstruction, if you will.

#12: You’re right that the section you pointed out is confusing. Sorry about that. Here’s a bit of errata :

Fey can freely cast any spell, without the True Cycle stepping in to stop them. Any spells that are specifically listed on the Fey Spells Master List are ‘immune’ to the Law, as they are usually cast in such a way as to prevent Crux.

Other spells, such as those gained from non-fey classes, are subject to the Law.

If a fey caster wants to remain free of Crux when casting spells that are not on the fey lists, they have to make sure it is undone (or the duration ends) before a number of days pass equaling the caster level squared… this itself is not a major restriction, but it ends up pushing the fey towards spells that are temporary rather than instantaneous or permanent. Spells with longer durations should be dispelled before this time is up.

The restriction on permanent effects means that PC fey are unlikely to use them; they take a year and a day to cast.

Instantaneous spells that are not on the Fey Spells Master List have a roleplaying or story aspect- they can be freely cast if there’s a seed for them (like open flame for a fireball), but if not, they require rectification within the grace period- any ‘damage’ (in the loosest, all encompassing connotation of the word) done has to be undone. Mundane means can be used to repair the damage, but it needs to be undone. This means that a fey creature cannot allow a creature to die (or stay dead) by conjuring a lightning bolt out of the clear blue sky to attack it… the True Cycle is merciless. These types of instantaneous effects must be used carefully by the fey- make the dragon surrender with a lightning bolt, sure, but don’t kill it or there will be a price. If the party injured or harmed heals itself or otherwise puts things back the way they were it qualifies as setting things right. The fey 5th level caster won’t suffer a Crux if 25 days after his lightning bolt the dragon is healed, as he will most likely be.

A GM should let a PC know when he’s looking at a crux just as he’d hint to a paladin that he was about to step over the line - it should be a conscious, desperate decision most of the time. It’s rough, but I think it helps keep the fey’s flavor.

Things like charm and illusion effects can also be considered immune to the Law; they don’t actively change anything physical, and so these types of magics will be used to manipulate mortals to do the actual deeds that they need done.

I hope my explanation is clearer here. Sorry for the confusing writing. :)

Banshee wrote:
11-The Gift spell seems a little powerful. Theoretically, a 20th lvl Fey wizard could give a +10 Inherent bonus to an ability. It is unclear what XP cost is attached though. It says 5000 xp times the square of the bonus. So, if you give a +9 bonus, is the cost 15,000 xp? Or is it 405,000 xp? I would think it's the first....but it's not written clearly, as it doesn't say "square root".

12-How strict are the Laws? In the same paragraph, it seems to indicate that Fey can cast spells and such, that violate the laws, without interference. But then the next sentence says this can lead to the Fey's demise. So if a Fey casts a sleep spell on some orcs, or polymorphs an ogre into a deer, then he's going to reach a crux? Seems like this basically means they can't do anything....or that it's impossible to *not* belong to the Court of Twilight instead of the other two.

Banshee
Proud Graduate of Parallel University.
angelshelper81
Gongfarmer

Post by angelshelper81 »

I just purchased this book to help with a campaign I'm building and I wish it had more about Muryans in it. I want to have a fey-like humanoid race, and having them be the remnants of a group of fey that went through crux and became Muryan would fit well, but it doesn't say anything about what such creatures would be like.

I guess I can just use the Puck stats and treat them as humanoids, though I'd like them to be a little more exotic than that - I had a tiny, winged race in mind.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

I believe that Scott's vision with Complete Guide to Fey was that it could expand on the world of Morningstar while also serving as a stand-alone sourcebook. It's a "stealth setting book," so to speak... if you're interested in the book materials, including muryans, you might consider giving Morningstar a look. Morningstar includes more info on muryans as well as its own unique take on the fey, which works well with what's in the Complete Guide to Fey.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com

Return to “System Neutral Products and More”