The Broncosaurus Rex Comic

Comments on our other product lines: Dungeon Alphabet, Monster Alphabet, Cthulhu Alphabet, How to Write Adventure Modules That Don't Suck, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

The Broncosaurus Rex Comic

Post by goodmangames »

We haven't officially announced anything yet, but I thought I'd show off a little of the upcoming Broncosaurus Rex comic book. I originally got the idea for BRex from comics, so it's pretty exciting to be involved in it. I'll be writing the comic and Dan Morton will be illustrating it. Some of you may know Dan's work from the Cretasus Adventure Guide. You can also check out his web site at [url=http://www.geocities.com /Paris/9671/index.htm]http://www.geocities.com /Paris/9671/index.htm[/url]. His style is straight out of the Golden Age and the comic will have a real pulp sci-fi feel.

The main character is Blake Lightning, a renowned big game hunter. On a regular basis he deals with Beauford's Rare Taxidermy, where he's met Peaches Beauford, the lovely daughter of one of New Savannah's wealthiest plantation owners. Peaches loves Blake but her father won't allow her to be involved with such a roughneck. This only makes it all the more awkward when a ceratosaurus is gobbling up her father's broncos and the only man who can take care of it is Blake. The comic will have action, romance, drama, and mystery, and it all starts on the Beauford plantation.

Here are some of Dan's sketches for the main characters. Legala, by the way, is a wild one living with a tribe of velociraptors -- her role remains a secret for now...
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
snakewing
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by snakewing »

Joseph,

I think that the Broncosaurus Rex comic has a lot of potential. Do you plan for it to be just a comic, or a full blown magazine? I ask because I have to wonder if this comic has the potential to become something similar to Knights of the Dinner Table, where it includes both comics and gaming content.

Just a thought. It would be great to have a regular Bronocaurus Rex magazine with comics and articles ala KODT coming out on a regular basis. The articles could deal with things not large enough to warrant their own book.

Think about it.

Tim
Mr. Author
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Mr. Author »

Ahh...these names are great. I never looked at them before....this is just too cool. When is this slated for release?
(insert witty phrase)
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

[quote][i]Originally posted by snakewing[/i]
Do you plan for it to be just a comic, or a full blown magazine? I ask because I have to wonder if this comic has the potential to become something similar to Knights of the Dinner Table, where it includes both comics and gaming content. [/quote]

The comic will be published by an existing comics publisher, not Goodman Games, so the main thrust will be at comics readers, not gamers (although obviously there will be some overlap). The first few issues will be pure comics, but there is the potential for it to migrate in the direction of gaming content. It wouldn't be too hard to add a page or two of game stats for NPCs or creatures encountered in the comic, and if that went over well to grow the size of the gaming content. But if that is done, it won't start immediately. The basic concept behind the comic is still... well, a comic. :)

As for release date -- nothing is confirmed yet. Dan is gunning for at least one issue finished by the San Diego comic con (which is in July), two if he has time.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
RSKennan
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by RSKennan »

Excellent! Will it be carried by comics shops exclusively?
Proud Graduate of Parallel University.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

[quote][i]Originally posted by RSKennan[/i]
Excellent! Will it be carried by comics shops exclusively? [/quote]

It will be offered to both comic and game stores. Specialty game stores are more and more willing to stock game-related comics these days (thanks in large part to KODT and Dork Tower), so I suspect a fair number of game-only stores will still pick it up.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

Somehow, I skipped over this thread before ... sounds awesome! Will the B-Rex comic and the B-Rex game eventually collide? It sounds like there's quite a lot of potential for an "event" sourcebook to be based on a comic storyline.

(Besides, I want to be able to buy a "Peaches" sourcebook someday. :P )
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

[quote][i]Originally posted by Mike_Ferguson[/i]
Somehow, I skipped over this thread before ... sounds awesome! Will the B-Rex comic and the B-Rex game eventually collide? It sounds like there's quite a lot of potential for an "event" sourcebook to be based on a comic storyline.

(Besides, I want to be able to buy a "Peaches" sourcebook someday. :P ) [/quote]

Well, the Peaches sourcebook is DEFINITELY going to happen... look for the Broncosaurus Rex swimsuit edition. Of course, it'll be modest Victorian swimsuits, so it won't be THAT exciting. ;) As for comic-crossover event books, that hadn't occured to me. Probably not, but who knows. The comic will actually feature a fairly catastrophic event around issue 8 or so (can you tell I'm planning ahead?) which could affect the world as you know it... maybe that will be an opportunity to include game stats in the comic? Who knows. Time will tell. (I know this is excessively mysterious, but hey, I can't give it all away!)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com

Return to “System Neutral Products and More”