DragonKin

Comments on our other product lines: Dungeon Alphabet, Monster Alphabet, Cthulhu Alphabet, How to Write Adventure Modules That Don't Suck, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

DragonKin

Post by Guest »

Here is a book I am really looking forward too. I have been a big fan of half-dragons since starting AD&D many years ago. Unforuntately the 3rd Edition halfdragon is far too powerful. I have been waiting for someone to write a usable 3rd halfdragon book. The Draconomicon was disapointing in that area and Savage Species really only served to clarify existing rules. Both are good books but they don't do anything for halfdragons.

It is also a book I would have given up a dragon hoard to have worked on but I will be happy enough to read it. I wrote the half-dragon net-book (an expansion on the Skills and Powers system and Council of Wyrms halfdragon) which can still be found floating around the internet and I have often thought about a 3.5 book.

Mark Charke
Napftor
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Napftor »

Hi Mark. Sorry I beat you to writing this book but I hope you enjoy it all the same. :)
Bret Boyd
Freelance Writer
------------------------
Tricky Owlbear Publishing
Freelancer's Rest (my blog)
Derek

Post by Derek »

I have the pdf version and have to say that it is interesting. The egg modification rules will get a little alteration (the personallity transferance), but otherwise I am willing to use most of it (the avatar dragons can not exist in an Oathbound setting as no gods are allowed on the Forge).

4.5 out of 5.
Derek

Post by Derek »

I have a few questions on the pdf:

1) Why is the back cover on page 2?

2) Why is the eldest black dragon as powerful as the eldest red?

3) Are the egg sculpting rules OGC? I want to post my own version on oathbound.net (with reference to DK of course) for all reptiles and birds, not just dragons.

4) Why was the breath weapon dropped from the half-dragon?
Napftor
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Napftor »

Hi there, Derek. I can probably answer #2 and #4 for you.

At first glance, the black and red supreme avatars do appear equal to one another. Between the attack bonuses, ability scores, and saving throws, its hard to pin down a clear victor. When looking at the MM black and red dragons, you can see that the black is second powerful of the chromatics (of course, the red being the most powerful). What happens on the way to supreme avatar status, is that a dragon needs to hit the Colossal size mark. While the red does this 200 years after reaching great wyrm status, the black requres at least 600 years. This gives the black more bang for its buck since every 200 years means a stats increase across the board. Thus, by the time a black reaches eldest rank, its scores are on par with the red. I'd bet on the red in a fight--compare the pitiful d4 damage of the black's BW vs. the red's superior d10. ;)

As for axing an automatic BW for half-dragons, well that's another story. When designing the half-dragon racial template, I wanted to break ranks with the MM version (indicating the WotC writeup was a quick standard one could use in a hurry or if a PC was magically shapechanged, but it was not a true half-dragon). Maturing on their own, I thought half-dragon characters should have a choice as to what abilities they wanted to concentrate on as they grew, breath weapons included. That's why there is a BW feat (plus the ones a character can take after it), allowing you to take it at your leisure or not at all. It also gives half-dragons some unpredicatability.

Hope that helps. Joseph will have to answer your other questions. Thanks for your interest!
Bret Boyd
Freelance Writer
------------------------
Derek

Post by Derek »

Thanks for the answers!

Just um, aren't black the second weakest dragon (after the white?)
Napftor
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Napftor »

Derek wrote:Thanks for the answers!

Just um, aren't black the second weakest dragon (after the white?)
LOL. I guess you're right at that. But did you look at the "weakest" white supreme avatar? They can give the red a run for its money when comparing hp, AC, and attack stats. And after all, shouldn't "gods" at least be comparable in their statistics? :)
Bret Boyd
Freelance Writer
------------------------
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Derek wrote:I have a few questions on the pdf:

1) Why is the back cover on page 2?

2) Why is the eldest black dragon as powerful as the eldest red?

3) Are the egg sculpting rules OGC? I want to post my own version on oathbound.net (with reference to DK of course) for all reptiles and birds, not just dragons.

4) Why was the breath weapon dropped from the half-dragon?
Bret handled 2 and 4 -- I can get 1 and 3:

1) Habit. It's useful for the Dungeon Crawl Classics, where the covers contain maps, so I put all 4 covers (outside/inside) in the very front of every DCC.

3) No. The open content section is chapter 5, as well as stat blocks that are derived from OGC. However, I'm open to granting case-by-case permission for specific sections, depending on the use; e-mail me at info@goodman-games.com for more.

Hope that helps.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Derek

Post by Derek »

Again thanks for the answers.

As for the rules, I am going to write down (on paper) my ideas, get it formalized and then I will think on if and how I want to use or publish it and ask for permission then.

Post by Guest »

When in January will the print version of this book be out? Beginning or end?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Anonymous wrote:When in January will the print version of this book be out? Beginning or end?
Right now the printer says they will ship the book next week. If they ship on time (if!) then we should have pre-order copies ready to ship by January 17, and it will appear in stores either the last week of January or the first week of February, depending on the timing with distributor ship dates.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Derek

Post by Derek »

I have the review written for it, but no where to put the review. So Mr. Goodman, when you have a chance, could you please add the book to Enworld's data base? When that is done, I will post the review (it got 4/5).
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Derek wrote:I have the review written for it, but no where to put the review. So Mr. Goodman, when you have a chance, could you please add the book to Enworld's data base? When that is done, I will post the review (it got 4/5).
Hmm, I don't even know how to add it to their database! I will contact one of their staff and ask them how.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Derek

Post by Derek »

If you want to read the review, it is at rpgnow, will be at rpg.net and I will crosspost it to enworld when that is back to normal.
Napftor
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Napftor »

I read it. Thanks for your time there, Derek, and may you enjoy the book for years to come!
Bret Boyd
Freelance Writer
------------------------
Derek

Post by Derek »

It seems that Enworld's review database is back up. After I upload the review I will write another for Primeval Groves (which also needs to be added).
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

I tried to add Dragonkin to their database but I keep getting an error. I've emailed EN World to see if they have any suggestions...
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Derek

Post by Derek »

With the new server, they have had to take down the reviews section several times. When it is up, please don't forget to add all the up coming books as well as PG and DK. I know of people who use the review section as a method of seeing what is next.

Today I bought Morningstar and now I have to get back to it :D
Napftor
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Napftor »

Derek, perhaps you could post the Dragonkin review into ENWorld's General forum. I notice that Crothian is doing this in the interim. Just a thought.
Bret Boyd
Freelance Writer
------------------------
Derek

Post by Derek »

Done and done. And now the review database can be added to...
Napftor
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Napftor »

Heh, I just responded to that effect on the ENWorld thread. :)
Bret Boyd
Freelance Writer
------------------------
Derek

Post by Derek »

The review is up at rpg.net.

I hope it gets more than a hundred hits by Monday (it gives the number of hits on the right side of the page).
Napftor
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Napftor »

Just checked it and it has 100 hits now! Great site for exposure.
Bret Boyd
Freelance Writer
------------------------
Derek

Post by Derek »

I got the title wrong, didn't I?

I think of the CGs as The Complete Guides.

Sigh.
Napftor
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Napftor »

Title seem fine to me. They have a link to the product at the bottom of the review without the "The" in front. Readers are definitely going to know what you're talking about. :)
Bret Boyd
Freelance Writer
------------------------

Return to “System Neutral Products and More”