Beyond Monks: Psynergist

Comments on our other product lines: Dungeon Alphabet, Monster Alphabet, Cthulhu Alphabet, How to Write Adventure Modules That Don't Suck, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

jtpurdom
Gongfarmer

Beyond Monks: Psynergist

Post by jtpurdom »

I recently picked up a copy of Beyond Monks and am quite pleased with the product. I have run into a problem with it though.

The book is advertised as v3.5 compatible (stated on the back). However, on page 31 the Psynergist is listed as requiring the feat Inertial Armor. Inertial Armor is included in the list of new feats on page 26 of the Psionics Handbook (v3). However, in the Expanded Psionics Handbook (v3.5), Inertial Armor is now a level 1 power.

Additionally, in the discussion of Psynergist manifester levels, it is stated that the Psynergist "gains additional free manifestations of 0-level powers as your core psionic class". Again, 0-level powers have been dropped in v3.5.

The Psynergist as written is clearly intended for v3. Has any errata been released to address this issue? If not, do you have any guidance on the Inertial Armor requirement? (The 0-level powers is a non-issue)

Thank you
Jeremy
JamesGarr
Ill-Fated Peasant

Re: Beyond Monks: Psynergist

Post by JamesGarr »

Hi Jeremy,

It's been a long time since I wrote Beyond Monks and I'm on the road right now away from my books. But off-hand I would recommend replacing the feat requirement with "any psionic or meta-psionic feat".

The reason that class is not 3.5 compatible is that Beyond Monks was published right after the core 3.5 books, but before the Psionics 3.5 book. Sorry about that.

I'll take another look at the Psynergist when I get home.

Glad you're enjoying the book!

James Garr
Keeping your independence requires a lot of help.
JamesGarr
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by JamesGarr »

Ok, after some review, I'd recommend these changes to bring the Psynergist up to 3.5:

- Drop the requirement for Inertial Armor feat.

- Drop Psionic Metabolism and Great Sunder from the list of bonus feats.

- Ignore references to 0-level powers.

- Add Greater Psionic Fist to the list of bonus feats.

- Starting at 2nd level, allow the Psynergist to use Wisdom instead of Strength when meeting prerequisites of Psionic feats.

I think this needs to be added because without Inertial Armor in the game as a feat, I feel the class needs a bit of help with AC, and less dependence on multiple ability scores. This is also a pretty good mechanic to support the theme of combining ki with psionics, and I wish I'd thought of it earlier.

- Change Inner Defense to read:
As long as you have not expended your psionic focus, you gain an armor bonus to AC equal to one-half your level as a psynergist, rounded down. For example, if you are a 6th level psynergist and have not expended your psionic focus, you gain a +3 armor bonus to AC.

- Change Synergy so that in addition to maintaining the maximum number of power points in your reserve, you must also have not expended your psionic focus.

Let me know if I missed any other relics of 3.0, but that should be about it.
Keeping your independence requires a lot of help.
jtpurdom
Gongfarmer

Post by jtpurdom »

I just wanted to thank you for the reply. I finally got the chance to try it out and the mods work great.

Thanks again.

Return to “System Neutral Products and More”