Chopper Strike = RPG Gold

You know... whatever.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

bizarrojoe
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Chopper Strike = RPG Gold

Post by bizarrojoe »

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share a discovery I made today. While yard sailing, I came across an old but complete copy of a board game called Chopper Strike. The game itself is a pretty basic battle game, but what immediately set off alarms in my imagination was the multi-level playing field that allowed choppers to fight in the air. Long story short, I give you multi-level RPG gold:

I have already thought up some rules for very DCC-friendly aerial combat effects. In the picture, you see some blue rectangles on the upper level (the other terrain on this level is the top of a tower that lines up with the level below it). These are weather systems that move around randomly and wreak havok on anyone fighting in the clouds. The upper level is a 12x12 grid. What I would love to try is to roll a 2d12 each turn to determine a random coordinate on the grid. If the coordinate lands on a weather system, then 1d4 will determine which direction the whole system moves (N, S, E, W). If 2d12 lands on a flying entity, then it will be blown around the board. If a flyer ends up inside a weather system, then a table roll (of course) will determine the random weather effect that affects the flyer.

How does that sound? Any other ideas come to mind?
Last edited by bizarrojoe on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Chopper Strike = RPG Gold

Post by tovokas »

How fun is that?!? I love awesome yard sale finds. :)
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

That is several kinds of awesome -- both the thingamajiggy and the rules you're putting together. I hope one of the random weather accidents is that the subject gets thrown to the ground... :twisted:

Now I'm wondering how that unit would tie in with the Halo board game pieces I picked up...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
bizarrojoe
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by bizarrojoe »

GnomeBoy wrote:I hope one of the random weather accidents is that the subject gets thrown to the ground... :twisted:
Absolutely! I also happen to have a weather die that's been collecting dust:

Now I have the perfect use for it. I can roll it in an encounter to determine what the climate is like on the upper level. Maybe it's cloudy (obscuring sight), maybe it's windy (blowing everyone around), maybe it's wintery or stormy (ice or lightning damage chance).
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

tovokas wrote:How fun is that?!? I love awesome yard sale finds. :)
Sigh. I never find cool stuff like that at yard sales. Around here it's all cruddy furnature and baby clothes. :(
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “Everything Else”