Hirst Arts Molds at Gencon

You know... whatever.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Hirst Arts Molds at Gencon

Post by DCCfan »

I have seen these molds each year I've went. The price has always put me off ($34) but this year I think I'm going to take the plunge and order some. I checked Ebay to maybe find a deal but the molds were going for almost the same price as a new one plus S&H. Has anyone here ever used one or known anyone who has? I'm curious if they look as good as the displays at their booth. The durability of the mold is a concern as well. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Check out www.hirstarts.com for answers to all these questions.
Last edited by DCCfan on Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
DCCfan

Re: Hirst Arts Molds at Gencon

Post by DCCfan »

Well I purchased the ruined tower mold. I chose this one because it is supposed to look ruined. I figured any mistakes would blend in. I had trouble with air bubbles with every cast I tried. I even used a vibrating board to try and release all of the trapped air. This helped reduce the number of bubbles but never eliminated them. The mold seems very durable and I haven't noticed any wear after 20 castings. I'm about halfway done with the assembly. When I finish I'll post a picture so you can see the finished project.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Sweet. I look forward to seeing how they come out. I've always wanted to get into this sort of thing, but the expense always put me off.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
DCCfan

Post by DCCfan »

Here is the unpainted ruined tower I built. I still have a long way to go before its finished. This project is costing me a lot more than I had anticipated. Micaels has a 50% off a single item coupon that has been saving me a good amount of money. It is in their Sunday add every other week.
Attachments
t3comp.JPG
t3comp.JPG (58.36 KiB) Viewed 10416 times
t1comp.JPG
t1comp.JPG (63.38 KiB) Viewed 10417 times
Last edited by DCCfan on Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DCCfan

Post by DCCfan »

Some pics of the painted ruined tower. I started to add some bushes and vines. Overall I'm pleased with the results of my work. I really enjoyed this project and would recommend these molds to anyone considering buying one.
Attachments
comprt.JPG
comprt.JPG (59.43 KiB) Viewed 10372 times
t3comp.JPG
t3comp.JPG (76.2 KiB) Viewed 10422 times
Last edited by DCCfan on Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

DCCfan

Post by DCCfan »

another angle a little out of focus
Attachments
t2comp.JPG
t2comp.JPG (59.09 KiB) Viewed 10418 times

Return to “Everything Else”